Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color inspirations from nature (pic heavy)

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 8:00

DH and I had a wonderful day the other day, weather was warm and sunny, and we went to NYC....wandered the streets, Bryant Park with all the little boutiques and the skating rink, St. Pat's, the tree at Rockefeller center, the store windows, had a terrific lunch, and then headed to the Central Park Zoo where I found some color inspiration.

The snow leopard was beautiful, but elusive....

but in trying to get a shot of him, I got these trees instead....cream, beige, forest green with a touch of black

The lesser followed red pandas were just adorable especially since it was almost supper time and mommy keeper was cutting the bamboo... don't you just love the natural ombre effect in their fur?

For those of you wanting to work in shades of greige with a touch of rose, perhaps the snow monkeys can lend a hand...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 8:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color inspirations from nature (pic heavy)

Then came the aviary with all the fuss and feathers that mother nature offers. So much fun to be in there with the birds as they fly above and beneath you making the most wonderful sounds. Beautiful colors singly and in combination.

o

Finally, from my walk at home, I tried to capture my favorite woods winter color combo of the beech trees.....the soft whisper of silvery blue gray in the bark against the warm peachy beige of the leaves...an absolute delight as they are one of the few trees that hang onto their leaves through the winter, giving a welcome color to the drab gray of the winter woods.

I so love this color combo and wish I had a place to put it in a room in my house....guess I'll just have to build another house!
:)

o

AD, young beeches in the winter forest are one of my favorite sights too. Love that coppery color! Early winter light is beautiful, isn't it?

Thanks for posting your photos and pointing out the pretty color combos. I felt like I was in NYC enjoying it all right along with you.

Below is a link to a photo I took last winter: the soft golds, the gray fog, & the green moss was so lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter color

o

Oh wow....your pic is just beautiful. I can even hear the silence of the woods in that photo. Thanks!

o

Beautiful photos, thank you both! Most inspiring.

o

Such gorgeous colors, whether they be the quieter hues of the woods or the more vibrant hues of the birds. Nature always gets it right. Thank you so much for sharing.

o

Wonderful photos. Did anyone notice the soft greens in the rocks where the monkeys were perched? I love that shade but never found it anywhere in a paint can.

o

Pretty pictures! I love the colors in the duck. And your photo of the peacock made me suddenly realize that I haven't heard the neighbor's peacocks in a while. Yay!

o

Love your pics - too bad mother nature can never be duplicated by us mere mortals! The tones, textures, movement of her colors are perfection!

o

Here's another bird that I always thought would be a fabulous color inspiration....the cedar waxwing. At our old house they would come through twice a year and descend on our cedars and crab apple trees. Such lovely birds. But there was always one or two that would die on my big front window...so sad. But then I did get to see their plumage up close. So beautiful.

o

That is stunning. Wonderful photo!

o

Thanks, awm, but I can't take credit for that last pic....that one I pulled off the net....

o

Annie and awm...just beautiful. Such peaceful scenes. What a treat for the eye. Thank you for posting. c

o

Thanks, trailrunner, how nice of you! Walking around with a camera, looking for things to photograph, is a great pastime. You notice more and see more intently. Absorbing & relaxing -- it's a great stress reliever.

o

awm...I looked further through your photos...going back to the left..where did you take the 2 photos of the angels...I didn't note the numbers on them ? I am so fond of pics like that and keep thinking I will get a bunch of them reproduced and framed. c

o

Lovely, Annie, and so good to be reminded of where to look for beautiful color schemes.

I remembered, looking at your pictures, our first winter in New England, and what a revelation it was to see clearly for the first time where Andrew Wyeth's subtle palette came from.

o

Thanks, TR.

B, if you ever find yourself in the Philly area, there is the Brandywine River Museum which has lots of art work from the Wyeth family, and you can take a tour of the farm which inspired much of Andrew's work. The museum is in a very pretty setting too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandywine Museum

o

God is AMAZING in His Creation. Love Him!!!

o

Annie, I have been to the Brandywine Museum - thanks for reminding me. I should plan to go back.

We are fond of Philadelphia, though we haven't trekked up in a while, but I do love to go in the spring when Longwood is also a must on the way in or out.

o

One of my favorite color combinations comes in the early spring, when the wild redbuds are beginning to bloom on the edge of our lake. The surrounding trees are just beginning to open their leaves in this bright, almost neon green, backed by dark brown and grey bark. Then you get that burst of fuchsia pink!

This is a pic pulled from the web, but it kind of shows what I love.

o

gosh annie your backyard looks so familiar! my dear friend lives in rhinebeck and her trail looks just like yours.
your post made me realise i'd love to visit nyc this year myself.

o

B, if you're going to the philly area, be sure to hit Winterthur too. While Longwood has fabulous gardens, I'm more partial to the more natural landscape at Winterthur...and the tours of the museum rooms are fabulous.

Fallingwaters, not near, but not too far from Rhinebeck....but so glad I could help inspire you to visit NYC again. It's a great city to visit.

Lovely pic, angiedfw.

Speaking of pics, was so pleased to find out my cousin, the artist, just got one of his photos accepted at Vogue Italia. Huzzah!

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 17:27

o

Annie, thanks for the reminder of the beauty of winter. Is that river birch in the second photo? I am not familiar with trees in your area but it looks like it. Have always loved the bark variation and color and with the soft fir in the background it is beautiful.

o

outside playing, don't know....could be....

o

Outside, I think they are river birch.
We had them in our yard, and they were my consolation for the white birches we left behind in New England.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here