Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vitalygrace

Would you change the wingback chairs?

VitalyGrace
9 years ago

Here's how my living room looks right now (image below).
As you see the wingback chairs look very old and I'm thinking about replacing them with new ones. There are two kinds of wingback chair styles I was thinking about, help me here-
Queen Anne style - Looks very royal but on the other side it may cause an old overall look. (Images.google.com/queen anne wingback chair).
Cream Slipcover style - Great looking but it's a slipcover, I don't like unrealistic looks.

Suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: cream slipcover

Comments (19)

• VitalyGrace
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the image:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't see any wingback chairs in the image.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If you are replacing I would go with something very simple. I would also consider a slipcover for your ottoman. Seems the pattern competes with the rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to chairs

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I like the idea of smaller scale chairs. As you can see from Google images, there are a variety of silhouettes. Some with lots of curves and some with straighter lines. Which are you thinking?

Also, fabric choice will make a difference.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It often happens when looking to redesign a room that we fixate on the wrong items. Your existing oversized lounge chairs are far more comfortable than any wing back chair, and fixing minor problems in the room is going to be far less expensive than changing out the furnishings.

IMO the paint color of the room is way too light and too yellow to coordinate with these furnishings.
    The drapery panels should pull the berry color from your seating and rug and should be taller and fuller
    The lamp on the table is too delicate in scale to complement the large scale of the table and the chairs
    All the built ins should be white, no green
    The one framed painting on the wall is way too small for the wall.

Maybe you would consider an alternate arrangement for the furnishings. See below.

I like your room and switching to slipcovered wing back chairs IMO is not the solution.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 9:42

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

I have nothing useful to add, but I agree with all of Beverly's suggestions (wow Beverly you're very talented). The change in drapes is especially appealing.

Edited for spelling error.

This post was edited by decordummy on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 10:23

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Yes to Beverly's suggestions.

• lindanewc
    9 years ago

I agree with Beverly's suggestions. I posted on another thread wanting to change my fireplace and was given great alternative suggestions and am shopping now to replace my window coverings which probably will have a greater impact, cost less and much easier than giving my fireplace a face lift. Thanks to the great photoshop job, it was easier to visualize)This site is wonderful.

I think if you followed her suggestions, you would fall in love with the comfy chairs and want to keep them. IMO, Queen Ann chairs would be too formal for the couch anyway. I would paint the walls first, paint the inside of the cabinets all white and add the drapery. It's amazing what paint can do for a room.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

VitalyGrace, I might call those chairs "Overstuffed Traditional". And Slipcovers are not an "unrealistic" look. I don't know where you get that Idea? or quite what you mean by that?

Slipcovers have been used for centuries and come in a variety of fabrics and styles, from tailored with pleated flaps and cording to casual or slouchy. Perhaps you're looking for a more tailored style? Target has a nice one "Sure Fit Corded Canvas Slipcovers" in taupe or ecru, and I have seen Sure Fit at overstock.com, too. In this instance I believe you might have the "T Chair Style" (Traditional Chair).

The chairs you have look quite comfy, and Queen Anne Wing-backs are often very stiff, you don't want to lounge or chill out in them.

You might consider getting curtains to match your new Chair look. In that case I would suggest that you "beef up" the curtains. Hang the rod a little higher and wider than the window, even adding an extra set of panels (4 instead of 2) It will make the windows look larger and a Valance might also look nice.

You might be very surprised what new ecru slip covers, lighter curtains would do for this room. In the mock up, the curtains may be a tad too white, I just plopped in what I could find on line, you might like something with a slight pattern, embroidered flowers or horizontal stripes. The same with the chairs, they were just thrown in there to give you an idea and the one on the left looks fuzzy, but it should be a tailored slip cover. I was going to try to find some red and amber brocade pillows to match the rug, but a red throw might be better and another accent color could be amber or beige in a nice texture for the throw pillows or pillow covers to complement the rug, Perhaps look at red and amber color ikat fabrics. As it is, I left the light blue pillows that were on the chairs I photo-shopped in.

Beverly suggested that you change the table lamp, that might be nice some day but not so necessary. I think all it needs is a little plant beside it, birds like greenery. She wants dark red drapes (to match the background of the carpet, like I suggested in another thread, once), and that would work, yes, but you might be happier with lighter floral embroidered drapes. She also suggests you paint the walls a darker yellow. I think that depends on if this is a north or south facing room. A lighter yellow will work better for a north facing room or a room that doesn't get as much light. I like when the insides of a bookcases are painted. And with the long expanse of your fireplace, you need to break up that long wall, painting the book case that way helps to do that. In fact, I might try to find artwork to hang over the bookcase sections. However, if I were to paint the inside again, I would paint it the same color as the walls or a shade darker.

I believe that her suggested furniture arrangement (with Fireplace as the focal point) is much better than what you have now. If you choose that, you might want to put your end table to the right of (or under) the window and the floor lamp in the corner by the window. I would also inch the rug as close to the hearth as possible.

I believe that a red and yellow color scheme is perhaps the hardest to pull off. You have done well with only using touches of red and using almost the exact same red in rug and paintings. Adding red curtains, in my opinion, makes the red too dominant, and then both colors fight with each other and neither wins.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 12:59

• amykath
    9 years ago

I still would change the chairs. I added a coffee table and a new lamp on your corner table. You could always move out your corner table and put a plant where the round corner table is now. Can you fit a loveseat or sofa agains the blank wall? These may not be at all the colors for you. Not even sure they are mine, but just some thoughts.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Nice mockup Lily. I did not see it until after mine. I agree the yellow is a bit neon shocking and that may be something to change?

I also agree with Beverly on the inside of the bookcases. The green does not seem to tie into the room.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Wow, Beverly! You saved me from writing ALL of that. Especially the wall color, the drapes and the chair placement.

Those chairs look mighty comfy to me. Consider that.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

by aktillery: "Nice mockup Lily. I did not see it until after mine. I agree the yellow is a bit neon shocking and that may be something to change?

Thanks, I like your furniture choices too. I actually lightened my entire mock up, because in potoatoshop the room was looking dingy with the white slipcovers, and it is hard to tell what the natural lighting in a room is from a photo, most times anyway, so that ended up lightening the wall color.

Yes the mint green inside the bookcase, yellow walls with white trim does look like a stale candy dish. But I think your dark green curtains are too heavy for the walls and white woodwork, However, I love the dark woven matchstick blinds. Your style ideas give the room much more sophistication, which I believe is what the OP was looking for.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 13:17

• amykath
    9 years ago

I agree the window panels are heavy in many ways. I just used what I had. Wish I knew how to photoshop!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I only suggested berry colored drapes because I couldn't find a decent picture of gold and berry striped drapes which I think would add a nice complement to the room. The solid berry drapes are a little too "new orleans' for her room.

The pastel yellow of the existing room is a bit too kitcheny for my taste. I was attempting to simulate a soft gold paint color like the one in the picture below. The reflection would still be good for the room, but it would be minus that sharp yellow.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Ok, lightened up the curtains. Love the colors in Bev's posted bedroom!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

beverly27, I like your golden yellow much more than the buttery yellow. And I see what you're looking for now.

aktillery, I use PhotoScape, and it has taken years and I still don't know all the ins and outs of it. Shopping for drapes in real life is almost easier than photoshopping for them!

I took the liberty of slapping in some drapes to your style board, I was looking for sage green and found some two tone ones that I darkened before slipping them in. I also added the yellow backed bookcase (you can see how much I lightened it) and made the art a tad smaller.

• User
    9 years ago

I haven't read the replies but there are no wingback chairs in the room posted. ??

Surefit slipcovers are poor quality and the linked ones would not fit on your furniture anyway.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Posted by kswl "Surefit slipcovers are poor quality and the linked ones would not fit on your furniture anyway. "

I have never tried them (make my own), so I appreciate the review. I noticed that they were some of the cheapest out there, but I had neglected to check the OPs link. Ouch.

I don't know if she is planing on buying wing back chairs and covering them, or somehow believes that a slip cover will magically change the shape of a chair?