Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

Ack! Where do I put a piano?

daisychain01
9 years ago

After years of changing up our main living space (combined living/dining room, I am in love with how I have things arranged and decorated.

We pared down and I love the more streamlined look.

Tomorrow, we are having a piano delivered and, after weeks of putting it off, I now have to make a decision about where to put it.

My DH says it can not go against an outside wall, but I may be able to talk him out of this.

Options:

1. Floating behind the sofa.

2. on kitchen wall in dining room

3. where buffet currently resides (where does the buffet go?)

Other ideas?

Help!!!

ps The piano is for my 15 DD who has been begging for a real piano to replace the electric version we have in the basement rec room. She is getting really good and deserves to be up out of the dungeon.

Dining room table is fully extended in this pic and can be shortened, but not turned sideways (no room).

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 8:32

Comments (76)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Put it on the wall w/o the radiators.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Shorten the dining room table .... stash additional chairs ...

Place piano behind sofa (IF possible move sofa an inch or two closer to the coffee table)

Cover back of sofa with basic black or cream linen if necessary ....

Add the lamps on top of the piano ....

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

new set up

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

apologies. I used to have a photo bucket account and could post multiple pix, but I've been locked out and probably couldn't remember how to post anyways :)

This is where piano will go. Tiny piece of green tape marks where edge of piano would go. It is 58 inches by 23 inches.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 11:45

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hard to see, but back of buffet is actually okay to look at and you don't see much anyways.

Yup, extra chairs definitely need to be put away. We had guests 3 weeks ago and they just haven't walked back to the basement.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 11:48

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Yay! That looks perfect! So happy you worked it out.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks olychick. I love that kitchen you posted with the beadboard buffet, but glad I didn't have to do another project.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Removing that door was a great idea and the space is perfect for your new piano- no extra heat or cold! I like your floating buffet.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Nice to see a solution evolve in real time! Jak, daisy chain and others, great teamwork!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yes, that will be perfect! So glad you figured it out in time! Can't wait to see a pic with the piano in place.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I just had to say, you have a beautiful house! I'm glad you were able to find a spot for your daughter's piano. Please post a picture when it's in :)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Yay! Now play chipmunks roasting on an open fire, my favorite!

• sparklebread
    9 years ago

Would the piano fit in your dining room window?

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! As posted above, it was a real team process. I think I will save this thread so that if we ever change it in the future, I have other options.

Once it is here, we will have a better idea of whether it can be moved around the room or if it is so unwieldily that we have to leave it. I am still thinking that floating behind the couch might be better. And that under the dining room window as in the pic above is also running through my mind.

I was really dreading this process. Before I went back to work full-time, I used to love moving things around, repainting, etc. I never do it anymore and I have to say, I'm kind of giddy with having things moved around. Even though I thought I loved it the way it was, I kind of like having a bit of a change.

The piano bench is upholstered and I'm looking forward to finding some interesting fabric to redo it in.

Errant, thank you so much for the compliment. I am a bit appalled that I actually posted pics with the all the mess, but what can you do. I will post pics when it is in.

I should have mentioned that it is a used, new to us piano. Straignt out of the 70s. I'm really hoping I don't hate it too much. My DD and DH found it and bought it without my having seen it. I've since seen a blurry pic, but am crossing my fingers.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I was going to say put the piano where the buffet is and put the buffet in my house, but I like it there, too. :)

In new houses it's probably okay to put a piano on an outside wall, but I've never lived in one of those. You'd probably have to have it retuned way too much in a house of that vintage.

(I actually purchased my current piano ONLY because it fit in my fireplace. It's not a good piano but it's a perfect fit for a fireplace in a house I no longer have.)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This side board behind the sofa isn't really working is it? Too tall, exposed bare back, no long enough and boosts the lamps on top too high. I'd put it back where it was.

Not sure what you're storing in the white cabinet, but it's the only piece of furniture that doesn't seem to coordinate with everything else in your room. Painting it a color might help.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Beverly. Thanks for the input. I know the buffet behind the sofa isn't as "perfect" as the table, but I actually like it. It gives the room a bit of interest and keeps it from looking so much like something my parents would create.

We might end up switching out the piano and the buffet, but for now I'm happy.

Your monitor must be a bit off. The cabinet isn't white. It's a shade darker than the sofa slipcover and a shade lighter than the walls. Could also have something to do with my taking pics in the near dark with my cell phone :)

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Removing the door and placing the piano against that wall sounds like a good solution. Since it's an interior wall without baseboard heating hopefully you'll be able to avoid changes in temperature. That's one of the reasons you don't place a piano in front of a window or near heating and cooling vents or exterior doors.

Do you have a piano technician to tune your instrument? I don't remember how long you have to wait before having it tuned but I do remember when our piano was delivered that we had to wait a few weeks so that it could adjust to it's new environment. It's also important to maintain temperature (68 degrees) and relative humidity (42%) since fluctuations can have an impact on the wood, felt, strings even the glue.

I like the new location of the buffet, it's such a pretty piece that now you can see it better.

Good luck tomorrow!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I was looking at this post again and thinking that it looks like there is no living room seating but the sofa, right? And no tv? It also looks like you use your dining room a great deal. How would it work for you to turn the sofa around and face it into the dining room, making it all one big conversation area? Just a thought I had.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marie_cate, thank you so much for that info. That's why I love this forum. So many with so much information. We are obviously not piano people and would have had the tech. in to tune it asap. We do have a tech. The people we bought it from gave us the name of their person, so we know he is familiar with the instrument.

Oh, olychick. That sounds so cozy and lovely. I really like that idea of making it all one big room instead of dividing it into two. We do have two chairs facing the sofa - a conversation area around the fireplace. But you and jak1 have put the idea in my head to possibly change things up big time. We've had some version of the current set up since we moved in 15 years ago. It does work aesthetically, but when we have large groups over, I'd kind of like to seat more people in one area, rather than some in the living room, some in dining, some hanging in the kitchen. I also think we'd use the living room more as a family if the kids could feel more connected to us while we work. Great ideas!

• jak1
    9 years ago

haha! I am always moving stuff around! Just this weekend we moved a spinet desk and chair to our basement office and brought the electric piano, bench and an antique rocker up to the living room. Glad I could be of help! Waiting for pics!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What is on the wall opposite the fireplace? The idea of moving the living room furniture around is intriguing. In the meantime, I think the idea of removing the door and putting the piano on the non-heat-source wall was the best overall, which solves your immediate problem of 'where do I put the piano'. I also agree with Beverly that the buffet seems better-placed back where it was, and the white piece seems out of place. Could the sofa and chairs be swapped with the sofa table being put back behind the sofa again?

Or could the piano go where the chairs are in the bay window and the chairs opposite the fireplace?

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Daisy - that's good news that you have the name of the technician who has been servicing the piano at the previous owner's home. Actually I feel relieved because many people purchase second hand and if the piano hasn't been properly cared for they may discover they've wasted good money. Hopefully when you call your tuner he'll be able to tell you more about the condition - has it been regularly tuned and tuned to pitch, the condition of the action, felt etc.
    He'll also be able to recommend when it should be tuned.

The Piano Technicians Guild has an informative web site that may answer a lot of your questions.

Your DD is going to be thrilled. Remember to post photos after you have it in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: PTG

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Oh, I see the other chairs now and the fireplace. I'm on a laptop with older eyes so sometimes it isn't as clear to see. Would be fun to see what you come up with after the piano is in place.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have piano! My DD is over the moon and hasn't stopped playing until just now when she had to leave for her piano lesson.

Marie_cate, yes we spoke to the technician before buying. The previous owner is a workmate of my husbands and the only reason they were selling was because they bought a baby grand.

I'm a wee bit bummed because I'm not thrilled with the look of the piano in the corner. We may have to switch it with the buffet behind the couch. And I really like the look of the buffet behind the couch. It may not show up well in pics, but it really gives the room a funky feel that I love. Oh well.

Again, the cab is not white and not even close to white. Ah. Just went back to look at the pic and think I've solved the mystery of the "white" cab. I have a large white/blank canvas sitting on top of the cab, leaning against the wall. I'm guessing that is the problem.

Good news is I think the piano can be moved across the floor without too much trouble, so over the holiday we can play around a bit. But maybe don't mention that to my DH until he has had a day or two of rest :)

• User
    9 years ago

Looks good. You might need a few days to adjust to the new look. I'm glad you were able to make it work and that your daughter is enjoying the new piano!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Show us!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Yes, let us see! And please give it a chance to grow on you where it is..sometimes we can't tell if something is good until it settles into its new home.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Be careful if you move it.
    We marked our wood floors being very careful when trying to move a piano just a foot or so.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

So glad that you have the piano and that your daughter is happy. As a child I always wanted to take piano lessons, having been exposed to it at my grandparents house. My parents told me that there was "no room" for a piano. I took accordian lessons and played in a band, but my heart always longed for a piano. When our children were interested in piano my parents were the first to buy them a piano! We were so grateful! We all took lessons and the piano resides happily on an outside wall (not ideal) in our LR. The kids have flown the coop, but every single time they are home, they play and we rejoice! I think it is GREAT that you found a home for a piano, and most importantly, are nurturing the love of music in your DD. She's one lucky gal and you are very smart parents! Sometimes it is just not about how things "look", IFYWIM!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is! Again, don't mind the mess.

And thank you very much sombreuil_mongrel, I have been singing chipmunks roasting over an open fire all day :) I think it's hilarious but my kids are insisting I stop.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I would just center it on that wall and a pretty print above it? Looks like a great spot!

• glad2b
    9 years ago

Oh that is just wonderful. I love the sound of someone playing - it absolutely fills a house with warmth. A piano is a piece of art all by itself. :) Enjoy!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Looks good! Congratulations on your new acquisition :)

Chipmunks? Love it. My cats want to come over to your house for roasted chipmunks at Christmas dinner.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

That looks like the perfect spot! I, too, would center it on the wall, do some art above and be really happy! More time for roasting chipmunks! Oooh, it hurt me to write that..I love my chipmunks. Maybe roast some gray squirrels but it doesn't have the lyric quality.

• jjam
    9 years ago

Congratulations....you did it! It's in a great spot. I think your home looks so warm and inviting, and there is nothing on earth better than hearing your child play the piano, especially since she obviously loves it so much. Well done all around :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful! I think all it needs is to be centered on the wall with a piece of artwork over it.

I love pianos as my DM played beautifully. I took lessons for a bit and learned the basics but didn't continue. We bought a piano for our youngest DD. She also plays beautifully. I still have her piano as her home isn't big enough to accommodate it now but hopefully when they do some remodeling there will be a spot for it.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Perfect spot for it! Agree it should be centered. I know your daughter must be thrilled. You'll be singing all the time and enjoying her concerts. I probably drove my parents crazy when I practiced as a kid, but they never complained.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think it looks perfect in that spot :)

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

You've found the perfect spot and it looks great there.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

What a blessing to have someone playing piano in your home! I miss our daughters' playing so much, and love when they come home as they always find time to play. I even leave their music where they left off! We have an old upright that holds its tune very well. We've had it tuned a couple of times here and the tuner is always impressed. The finish is not great, but oh the sound!

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Update:

So, as most of you know, shortly after the piano was delivered my lovely DD (pictured above playing the piano) accidentally started a fire on the third floor of our house. The piano was saved but suffered damage to the finish. The whole house was gutted and we moved back in almost exactly a year after the fire (this past Christmas eve, to be exact). The piano is in its new position and we, once again, get to listen to our DD play beautiful music for us.

ETA: Thankfully, no one was hurt in the fire :)

Hmmm, looking at the pics, I think I've hung the art too high.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

It looks terrific. Will it be ok putting it on an outside wall?

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

Thanks, holly-kay. Yes, we checked with the tuner and he thinks that because we have upgraded the insulation and that wall is extra deep it will be okay. Formerly, that wall had hot water baseboard rads, but we now have forced air heat so that isn't a problem either.

• natesg
    8 years ago

Welcome home.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

daisy, I love seeing your updates after your year. I hope you are really happy back in that house after all you've been through with your family....the piano looks pretty pleased to be in its new location ;-)

• roarah
    8 years ago

It looks really nice! It has all the character with a bright newness to boot. Welcome back home!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I was wondering what happened with your piano! Thanks so much for the update and photos of the piano and your lovely home!

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hmmm, it seems the "thank you" button disappears on year old threads - but thanks everyone. I have the next 2 weeks off and I hope to get the last of the furniture bought and cabinets, etc, painted. Then I promise I will post some pictures.

ps I lowered the painting :)

• Olychick
    8 years ago

How wonderful for you and your family to have your home back after a tragedy like a house fire and all the blood, sweat and tears of a full house remodel. The piano looks happy, but not as happy as that kitty! I thought the art looked great as it was hung, but I didn't say it fast enough. I'm sure it looks great where you have it hung now, too.