Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Hanging exterior wreath

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

How do you all hang your wreaths on the outside. I'd love to put a large one on our front window or a smaller one in the gable, but DH is refusing to put a hole in anything...we have vinyl siding and azek trim. We are in the northeast (freezing, snow, etc.) and I thought command hooks only work in decent temperatures and not for outside. And the wreaths would have to have some scale to make it work. We already have a spotlight aimed at the front gable as part of our night lighting.

Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I think we're married to the same man. :) I can't help you though, but there has to be a way because everyone else does it! lol.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Try again to convince your husband that this is a one-time deal. Unlike the vinyl that cannot be repaired, Azek is like wood. You insert a few small screws into the Azek, paint them to match, and then leave them there permanently. It is the same as hanging pictures inside the house.

• zipdee
    11 years ago

Annie ... I put a 36" fresh wreath up on our front dormer windows every year. I use two of the largest sized command hooks spaced out at the top of the wreath to hold it. I've never had a problem with them holding. I live in NC, but looked up on the command website about colder climates.

This is from the website :

Q: Can I use Command adhesive outside in cold climates?
    A: You can, but the adhesive should be applied to a clean, smooth, dry surface when the temperature is above 50�F (10�C). If the temperature is below 50�F you can heat the surface with a hair dryer before application.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I have permanent nails in different locations outside. One on the garage door, one on the front door and a bunch around the front door (nailed through the siding!) to hold a garland and lights and one on the back door. All are inconspicuous.

On the front door I use a magnetic wreath holder on the storm door for the Christmas wreath. For fall, I use the nail on the door for a fall wreath.

Two of the magnetic holders would work on your big window, probably with a wire between them to hold the wreath. Unfortunately you would see the inside part of the magnetic holder (it's two pieces) from inside.

Pretty house!

• straitlover
    11 years ago

If you want to hang it on the vinyl siding, there is a hook made that clips in the groove of the siding. Go to Amazon and search vinyl siding hooks to see what I mean.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Annie, one of my friend's just now posted this on her Pinterest page. What a coincidence! I haven't read all of it yet, so hopefully it will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Contractor's tips on Xmas Decorating[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/a-contractors-secrets-to-hanging-holiday-decor-stsetivw-vs~5163709)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Bummer, I just read it and I don't think it answers your question's. But read the comment section, people are offering advice for different types of surfaces.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I also had casement windows and hung wreaths every year. I put them on long red ribbon, tied a knot
    in the ends together..rolled out the windows and hung the wreaths on the outside and rolled them back in...no problem. I have done this for several years and love them....good luck!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all these great suggestions. DH is definitely more open to the wreath idea now. He's thinking we could use wire instead of ribbon so it would be essentially invisible. If I hang it on the big window, it will be a bit of a challenge as I would want it centered between the 2 windows, but they are casements....I guess I could lock in one side then hang the wreath and use the other side to lock in at the right height....

You guys are terrif!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

My window wreaths are hung by clear stick-on hooks. I'm in the south so much milder than you - but it can get cold. I've actually had hooks that I've left from one year to the next! Be sure you clean with alcohol or something before sticking on the hook. We then pull up ribbon to the top of the window and I believe my hubby tapes it - it makes it look like the wreath is hung by the ribbon.

Beautiful home - I love your sidewalk!

tina

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

I bought the clear, suction cup wreath holders, they have been working perfect - and holding every wreath without fail!

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

We also use the large Command hooks.

• Kody Pardue
    8 years ago

I'm wanting to hang mine over a window from ribbon. The ribbon is wired, so it needs to be flat, not tied and hung from a hook. Here's the problem: my windows only open from the bottom (the top window section doesn't open or move at all). HELP!!

• nhb22
    8 years ago

Hang them from the lower portion of your window if the top does not open. ;) Just string the fishing wire up through the crack when your window is opened.

I learned the hard way that if your wreaths are not secured on both top and bottom (I use ribbon at the top to hang, and fishing wire at the bottom to secure) that the wreaths (especially the wire ring) will scratch your window glass on windy days.

Photo from previous home.

Current home

I used a nail in our brick. It's permanent and I didn't ask DH if I could do it.hehe