Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Stop Horrible Pop Up!

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

Every time I click a link I get a horrible psychodeleic full screen pop up.
Please stop it!

And I checked....I have pop up blocker on.

I'm out of here until it's fixed....

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 7:19

Comments (19)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

People actually click on links? lol

• vickij
    11 years ago

I'm getting it too and i have a pop up blocker. I never get pop ups but I am getting the this one. It's very annoying.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well on top of it, it becomes more annoying....every time I get it, it takes longer and longer before the "close" button will work so I see more and more of the ad...essentially hijacking my screen.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I am not seeing it. Are you using Firefox as your browser?

• deegw
    11 years ago

Snookums - no one is intentionally clicking a link. I think the ad is "broken" or super sensitive to mouse movement.

When I am on Chrome the pop up makes the site barely usable. When I go to Mozilla, I don't have the screen high jack but I'm not able to post.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm on a mac and I'm getting it both in google chrome and in safari.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I just checked my chrome settings and switched it from the default to blocking all popups on this site and it seems to have helped. That is one nasty popup!

• User
    11 years ago

YOu don't have to do anything ..GW is on it . I wrote them immediately this AM and got a note back almost as fast and it is gone ! Yeah !!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks TR! Where do you write to them?

• mdrive
    11 years ago

annie...i am also using a mac but i have firefox and use ad block PLUS and there are NO ads on gardenweb to be seen

much as i like my mac, safari is an inferior browser, imo

• User
    11 years ago

scroll all the way to bottom of screen..far right " contact us". You will get a very very fast reply and great response . Thank you GW !!! c

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Firefox w/AdBlock Plus and no popups ever, not even during this latest episode.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Annie, for future reference, I have a mac with glimmerblocker and safari. No popups, no ads. Try it; it runs as a preference pane in system prefs, so it doesn't interfere with safari updates and such:

Here is a link that might be useful: glimmerblocker

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excelllent! Thanks for the info.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

The only issue I've had with it, since unlike most popup blockers it actually stops ads from loading, not just from displaying, is that sometimes video preceded by ads won't load. In that case, just launch system prefs and turn GB off for the moment.

It does make many sites faster, since there's no waiting for the ad server to do its thing.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I have a mac with firefox and adblock plus. No ads ever, no pop ups. I much prefer firefox over safari. Try it, you'll never go back!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I have a Mac with adblock and I never got the pop up.

• jockewing
    11 years ago

All of a sudden I am having popups no matter what browser I use --Firefox or IE. I used to never have them until about a month ago. On IE it is incessant "Servads" pages that popup on about every third new page. On Firefox, it keeps pulling up a popup that starts playing episodes from different TV shows like the Mentalist. Any ideas?

• Olychick
    11 years ago

jockewing, do you have adblock plus installed? If not, that will stop the ads and pop ups. If you do have it and it's not blocking, I'd make sure you have the latest updates.