Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Would you put something over this bed?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

Still working on my master bedroom. These are pictures taken when I was taking the pillow poll - so don't need suggestions there. As you can see from the picture, I have a window on one side of the bed and no window treatments yet - considering panels. Would you put something over the bed and what would it be or would you do prints on the left side above nightstand to balance out? I am replacing the lights on nightstands with the image below.

Comments (63)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Love the way it is right now.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I know you didnt ask about this, but if you put a panel on the window to the right of the bed, it may look off balance.

I wonder if it would be totally odd to get a mirror about the size of the window, and put that on the left, and that put panels over that. Maybe that is absurd, IDK

• jaynees
    9 years ago

CL = Christopher Lowell

• busybee3
    9 years ago

no artwork and I agree with Beverly that I would move the bed over to the left so that the one nightstand is not partially in front of the window...

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

No. I feel like most people ruin a perfectly good foundation they have started for a room when they begin trying to fill in every blank space. Then it starts to look cluttered. Panels on the windows would add warmth to the room without adding competing distractions. Your room is looking nice, BTW.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok - that's what I was thinking - nothing above the bed. Not sure how much I want to do with the windows - panels or roman shades. Either way would be a textured fabric, but no print. I want the bed to be the focal point.

Any suggestions on the rest of the room? Thought I'd give you a 360 view. Still not happy with area next to chair (I did get a round side table which is not in the picture).

First picture is entrance into room. The dresser on this wall is why the bed is centered as it is - provides walking room on that side.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scanning the room - 2

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View 3 - repeat from above

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reading corner

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hall to bathroom. Yes - that is a dog bed on the floor with a dog!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the side lamps too, but needed to add some more color somewhere. There's a lot of wood going on, and although beautiful, need some other color, I think.

I will play around with adding some art to the left of the bed to see if that balances things out.

This post was edited by christyinco on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 13:36

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes CL is Christopher Lowell. Below is a video of his...from the TLC days when you could actually learn something on TLC...the learning channel!

1. Paint & architecture
    2. Installed flooring
    3. High ticket upholstery
    4. Accent fabrics
    5. Non upholstered furnishings
    6. Accessories
    7. Plants & lighting

If you go to youtube, there are different clips you can find where he goes through the 7 layers as well...

Here is a link that might be useful: CL 7 layers

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 15:10

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Great windows, and I like your reading corner.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Your room looks great already. Beautiful windows and a really nice layout. I like what you have on the windows now, but I think Roman shades would look good too. The texture idea sounds great.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I like the textiles you have chosen, very nice and comfortable.

Because beds are so long and imposing in a room, I believe they always need an over head balance. Either that is a commanding headboard, or art. In your case, the wrought iron is anything but commanding -so yes, it needs art.

My first choice for over bed art is always some sort of textile, a jacquard tapestry might go with your styling.

My next choice is flat framed art. By flat framed, I mean the frame (or art) doesn't stick out from the wall more than 3 inches, say. I think a horizontal row of 4 prints larger in scale than the lamp shade (I like the new lamps), but close in size, will balance nicely. You could also hang them 4 square, like a window division. Using wide buff colored mats will help tie in the same colored linens, I wouldn't go for matchy prints that match the bedding colors. Perhaps something in greens or blues, as a contrast. These could even be a family collage or art project. I'd look for art that was commanding enough to balance the windows, and allow the blank space above the lamps to be the counter balance, if you will.

I actually like the fact that the left (stage left) side table intrudes into the window, it gives the room personality. But because curtains would upset that, roman shades, or some sort, seem like the obvious choice, in a color just lighter or darker than the walls. No, I don't think I would put prints over the lamp, it may draw too much attention to the imbalance caused by the window.

As a note, the 3-window seems to beg to have a low shallow chest of drawers, or better yet, an upholstered bench, underneath.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Without knowing the exact dimensions, do you have the space to consider a layout like this for the room?

And you can always place pairs of prints directly above your nightstands behind the lamps to add some color and texture to your room.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Hah, as soon as I asked my question about CL, I figured it was Craigslist.

Christy, I know you didn't ask about this. But I agree with Beverly about putting your reading corner over by the window and not let all that wonderful natural light go to waste.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure about the new arrangement. The tall dresser is 1" less in width than the long one. I would have 2'8" between dresser (tallboy) and bed frame after moving the bed and nightstands so they were off the window. I've had the long dresser against that wall before and moved it to the current wall since it was longer. I'll have to think on it.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nightowlrn - never considered removing the iron. Interesting thought.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilylore - what do you think of Beverly27's layout suggestion?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

"Not sure about the new arrangement. The tall dresser is 1" less in width than the long one.".

Sorry christyinco, but something is either wrong with this statement or your tape measure.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

beverly, I was thinking about the same arrangement...if it works, I think it will look a lot nicer and put the reading chair in a really nice corner.

I'm guessing but it looks like the triple dresser is at least 2 or 2 1/2 feet narrower than the single.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL - I meant depth! Not length. Sorry - should have clarified. I actually moved the furniture. I'll post some pics, but they will be a bit dark since it's nighttime.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay - here is the new arrangement. I seem to have a hard time with the bed not being centered on that wall and being too close to the door when you first walk in. I do have the option of putting the tallboy in the closet also.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tallboy on wall

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front view of bed

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Corner with chair - adding the floor lamp there was too weird with table lamp. I think more of a reading light would look better - without a shade

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last image - ignore picture on wall.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can you tell my husbands out of town and I've just got this to play with right now?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Without tallboy in room - view 1

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No tallboy - bed centered on wall between corner and window.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last image - now that wall area looks very empty. Maybe a big piece of art needed.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that what is interesting with the new layout is that I would go for panels to fill up that space as it isn't interfering with the nightstand anymore. I have a taller glider rocker I can put in that corner instead of that chair also. This arrangement provides more floor space for sure, but still unsure about seeing the bed so close to the entrance - you notice the window and chair before the bed when you walk in.

As a note: having the tallboy in the closet is not an issue since it's my husbands closet and its a walk in.

• Lars
    9 years ago

You could hang some fabric (a tapestry or brocade) panel that would go partially behind the headboard, since you can see through the headboard. It would have to be a pattern that goes with the headboard. I have quite a few fabric panels that would work for that space, but if you do not have any, it is fine left blank. There is not room for art that stops above the headboard, which I why I think fabric that would go behind it could work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric panel

• amykath
    9 years ago

For fun, I removed the iron work from your bed and added two pieces of art on the wall above the bed. Added a slim mirror and a curtain panel, but you would want to do others framing the windows. If you do this, I would beef up the other side of the room so it is balanced. I would also throw a nice pillow on your reading chair.

No matter what you do it is a gorgeous room. Maybe just shades would do the trick if you want some window treatments.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is the same mock up with just a shade on the window.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

I like your new placement and wondered how it would look to have something round above the bed without the arched top metal so tried out this, though a darker frame on the mirror would perhaps be better. I also liked the panels aktillery did as well as her other mockups.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is another...

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You all are amazing to mock these things up - really helps visually. Thanks!

• amykath
    9 years ago

So, what are you thinking of doing? Anything you like or dislike in the mockups?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do like the first mock up done with the picture centered. I don't know if the iron comes out - that's a big question. Right now, I'm not liking the furniture arrangement. It looks better online that in person - just feels "off" when you go in the room, if that makes sense. I think I'll put it back, but look at what I could put over the bed still. I'll have to let you know.

I have ordered a few items for the room that should be here next week. It may make a difference in the look of the room. Once I have those pieces I will look at what's needed on the walls.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Sometimes you have to play around and try something new to determine what you feel best about. :)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was in a store the other day and saw these. The size would work (about 19 1/2" tall x 63" long with 2" between each picture). I just wasn't sure about the color and if there was too much contrast in the paintings to go with the duvet. I've posted a pic of them and then an up close of one.

Another thing I considered was a thinner long landscape piece of art above bed (leaving the iron in) in an abstract pulling in colors from the bed (greens, blues, golds). That would take space visually, but not go so high.

This post was edited by christyinco on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 11:55

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of one piece to see contrast.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay - made some decisions. Going to leave everything as is for now. Once I get the items I ordered I will put those in and update the thread.

Thanks everyone!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Posted by christyinco: "Lilylore - what do you think of Beverly27's layout suggestion?"

Sorry, I am a little late coming back to the discussion. I thought her arrangement was brilliant when I saw it drawn out, but I would switch the dressers. I like aktillery's mock up, with the mirror behind the lamp and the way she has the curtain panel, it doesn't look bad, either with or without the curtain.

I don't really like heavy items above a headboard, like the star mirror. My thought it this: if the piece does come loose from the wall, will it fall straight down behind the bed? or will it get stuck in the head board and possibly break or bounce off of it -that's why I believe that anything over a head board should not stick out too much. The last thing I want is to do wake up in a dark room with shattered mirror on my face. And even if it is cemented in place and no chance of falling in an earthquake, It is still that visual calamity about to happen that I find too unsettling in a bedroom.

I would switch the chests of drawers. First of all I would put the long drawers to the left of the bed where it was, I think it would look less imposing when you came in. The tall high boy can go against the wall ('opposite' the bed to right as you enter) but if I put a dresser there I would center it on the wall. The tallboy could go back where it was beside the window, because I think it balanced the windows nicely. In that case you can leave the doggie bed on the 'opposite' wall, but perhaps introduce a small bench or stool, to sit when you put your socks on.

I don't mind if art doesn't match the textiles in the room. If you love the birch paintings, I think they would be lovely and all the more better for not being matchy matchy. Art shouldn't be chosen because it matches a room, the room should support the art. But I also like the idea of the surreal landscape, it could be very calming.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Wow, love the new layout with the highboy out of the room. Lots of options for you now, and the room appears very spacious.

You can place a large piece of art over the long dresser. No mirror please, bad Feng Shui for the occupants of the room.

I'm not big on dried flowers, & I don't know where you live or if this would be something you might consider, but it will complement the arch of the headboard.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 13:34

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok - seems I could try the high boy out of room. Another thought was to put the long dresser on the wall next to the windows? When I move the bed that corner looks bare.

I like the new mock up you did Beverly27. Not a dried flowers kind of gal. I did consider this below, but din't know if it was too much wood and iron. Size: 53.75"Wx2.75"Dx12"H

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Moving the long dresser certainly is an option, if you don't do any panels. Panels would make the wall appear less bare. I like all the paintings you have selected and see the direction you're headed. I like them all. They could work in the room together.

Don't feel you have to put something over the arched headboard, if you put prints over the night stands.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NICE!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Starting new thread

This post was edited by christyinco on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 15:44

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews