Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

Do I want dusty rose?

mushcreek
9 years ago

I'm looking for a very muted pink/gray for our new bathroom. I'm terrible with color names, or picking colors in general. Our master bath has white subway tile in the shower with a black mosaic accent. The floor will probably be a light gray tile. It seems like all of the samples I pick out turn bright pink when I get them home. Any suggestions for a color that whispers 'pink', rather than shouts it?

Comments (28)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

How light or dark do you want? Where on the swatch, as it were.

FWIW I think pink is one of those colors that sometimes needs to be implied rather than painted, if you know what I mean. Have you ever seen Martha Stewart's master bedroom at Lily Pond? I think that's a really good example of creating a pink "feeling" environment without it being really pink. She had a subtle taupe wall and a blushy off-white ceiling (pinker than it looks in the photo). I have the Fine Paints of Europe swatches somewhere...

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Take a look at Valspar's 'March Breeze.' It's not a color that I like, but because it was a bargain mis-tint, I used it on the inside of some built-in beds. The beds convert to closets, so I just needed something pale, to cover the bare wood and wallboard.

It's barely pink, in the grayer range. White tile with black accents? I'm thinking lime green would be nice. :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

What color are your towels?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Did you try Ben moore rose lace? It's a very 50s color scheme.

I like this shade from houzz, but unfortunately they don't give a color, but it is a warmer shade of pink for sure.

{{gwi:2140528}}

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Naperville Architects & Building Designers Charles Vincent George Architects, Inc.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 8:56

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Any pics of the bathroom? Light makes all the difference in the world.

Sounds like maybe you want a mauve?

BM Portland Gray?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I've never used them, but SW Patient White, and Possibly Pink look nice. As do BM Morristown Cream and Charmeuse.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Ooh, tib, I like that Portland Gray!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think her best bet is to look at grays, versus looking at pinks, that are on the red and purple end of the gray spectrum. That's where I found the Portland Gray. But again, the color totally hinges on the lighting in the bathroom.

For instance, I used BM Cape Hatteras Sand in my master bath and the dining room. Master bath has no windows, and in there, it is a very spa-like soft creamy beige/sand color. But in the dining room, it looked completely different because there is natural light in there. It was a mauve, a lot of gray and purple. I've since repainted the DR!

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

I've read (maybe on this forum?) to go a bit peachy in order to avoid the pepto bismol factor.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's a window, so some natural light, but no direct sunlight. Area lighting is warm 2700K LED. No towels yet- it's a new house. The towels will come after.

I want it fairly light, but enough of a contrast to show off the tile work, which wraps around the opening and out on to the wall in an Art Deco sort of pattern. All trim and fixtures will be chrome, except a couple porcelain wall sconces. For now, we are using a faux marble vanity top on top of an antique Art Deco vanity that I repurposed. Since we're the only ones that will regularly see this bathroom, we decided to economize a bit, plus it's a good practical set-up.

Portland Gray looks nice, as does Rose lace, but I'll have to pick up chips, as I never trust the computer monitor. That Houzz bathroom is a little too pink. The lighting at stores must be terrible, as the samples look wildly different at home.

I'll have to shoot some pics after I get all of the tile stuff out of the way.

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

What about the Farrow and Ball pinkish colors? Book Room Red looks so nice with black, but may be more color than you are looking for.
    {{gwi:2140529}}

For a very light, touch of pink, there is Farrow and Ball Pink Ground.
    {{gwi:2140530}}

Or Calamine

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

mushcreek, when you narrow it down to two or three colors, it is very worthwhile to buy a sample pint of each color and paint a really good-size swatch of each on each wall in the room, then live with it for a week or so to really see how each color looks in different light, then decide. Once you make a decision, use the rest of the sample paint to paint a primer base. That way you're not wasting the sample paint, and you can get away with buying just a quart of the top-coat paint AND likely still have some leftover for touch-ups as they're needed.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I like the "idea" of pink idea from Kiwi. Very sophisticated room!

One color that was surprisingly pink to me was SW Modest White.

I can't wait to see this - I love the pink and grey!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I also think just a hint of pink would look best... which shade of pink that looks best will depend on the shade of gray in the tile you choose...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Behr has a color called Art Deco pink...it looks a lot like a bandaid.

• voila
    9 years ago

You might want to look at the off-whites in BM color preview color deck. White opulence OC-69 is white with a hint of pink that is hard to see on the chip. Whitewater bay OC-70 is another white-pink. You can also get larger paper color swatches from Benjamin Moore. If your tile is not bright white you may need a muted pink like BM Mauve Hint 878 in the classic colors deck.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Nightingale

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

When we first started on this house many years ago, I wanted some pink. I chose what appeared to be a light pink; it looked like bubble gum. Chose another one; it looked like Pepto Bismol. Finally, I found this color. Pink, but not pink. I loved it and lived with it for years. No one ever asked me why I painted my living room pink! You won't find it on a chip, but it's still in their master book. Maybe it would work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Silk

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I was looking for a similar color last year for our powder room and ended up using Ben Moore Soft Sand. I'm still in love with it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

that Thai Silk is gorgeous and would look great and very Deco with your black and white, I suspect.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Tomato, that Thai Silk is a spectacularly subtle color!

Pink lover here! I redid our daughter's room in pink and grass green a couple of years ago and wanted a beautiful "ballet shoe" pink for her antique wicker desk and chair. I think we ended up with a Martha Stewart color. Handy. Guy used a sprayer and did three light coats of semi gloss. Very happy with the color---it may be too much for your bath--- but if you like it I will look up the name.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a couple pics. As you can see, the tile extends outside the stall, so I want enough contrast to showcase the tile a bit. I think the Thai Silk is too light. The BM Soft Sand looks nice on my monitor. I'm hoping to find a floor tile similar in tone to the bench top and the threshold. The one I used isn't available in a smaller tile, like 6X6. I don't want large floor tiles.

{{gwi:2137620}}

{{gwi:2140532}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Really pretty. I love subway tile. Also love the large window.

It's not pink, but take a look at BM Vintage charm, which is SUCH a wonderful color.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Another vote for Pink Ground from F&B.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I tried playing with your picture on line using paint colors and was not very happy with the results. Sometimes you can do it, but as funcolors is quick to point out, on line is not reflected color as in your room. Esp with some softer shades, it's very hard to render the image as it would be in the room.

That being said, I do think you need a color with some more body to it to offset the tile. If it is too pale, it will just wash out. Once I saw the tile, I can see going with a MCM color scheme with the dusty rose or even an aqua, or I can see a beige with a hint of pink in it. You could also warm it up with a beige shade of yellow...or a yellow shade of beige.

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could do just the wall that the tile is on a deeper color, and then use one of the lighter pinks on the rest of the walls, but then I'd have TWO colors to pick!

We first started looking at greens, but my wife wants a pink room, and I didn't want our bedroom to be pink. I think the tile work is a bit masculine (I'm a guy, after all) so I figured the pink would soften the room and allow it to be more feminine.

The F&B is a very pretty color, but I want more contrast. The BM Vintage Charm is likely too dark. I like the level of contrast with the blue drywall, but of course, not in a blue.

The house is Craftsman, and I am putting Craftsman touches throughout, but I don't really know what a 'Craftsman' bathroom would look like, much less know what colors they used. And that being said, we're only using the Craftsman touches that we actually like, so it's not a reproduction. For instance, I'm going with tall wainscoting in the living room, but not in stained oak, as was typical, but rather painted off-white.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well, this is the classic pink tile color...close to bandaid....with the black and white tile...

{{gwi:2140533}}

• voila
    9 years ago

It is very hard to look at colors on the computer. This is a pasted sample of BM mauve hint. In real life your sunny window will lighten the color during the day, and incandescent lights at night will soften the color. You have many good suggestions above, but now must go to the paint store and find your favorite pink. Perhaps you could let your wife, who wants pink, choose her favorite pink. :) PS-I have a large monitor hooked up to my laptop and it's monitor. The colors look completely different on each one.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks