Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autiemom

Neutral Paint Color for my work in progress kitchen

autiemom
9 years ago

Hey everyone. Here is my kitchen/breakfast nook. It's a work in progress. In a year or so, we plan to renovate it. In the meantime, I'm looking for a new color for it, something more neutral, I think. Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2140495}}

Comments (23)

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

warm or cool tone?

• autiemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Warm I think

• amykath
    9 years ago

It is tricky playing with yellow. Your kitchen is yellow so you definitely need to pick something that plays nice with it. Do you know the color of the walls?

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Are you wanting a color for both kitchen/ breakfast nook areas?
    I would do both areas in the same color. If you like something that is tan but has a slight yellow tone, you should look at Benjamin Moore's Monroe Bisque and Powell Buff. There is a beautiful color that my ds and dil used in their open floor plan called Nantucket Gray by BM which is actually a soft earthy gray green. It's truly a beautiful warm neutral and looks beautiful with wood and looks great with a variety of other colors. His cabinet color is about the same color as yours. Definitely consider it!

• autiemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Painting both... Wanting to get rid of the yellow! :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd paint it in something like Sherwin Williams Haven.

Notice the similar color of your cabinets and the floor and dresser in this pic:

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here are some samples that may help you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I also would not do the two rooms in the same color. Kitchen appears to have very little natural light, so go darker in there. In the nook, where you have much more natural light, go lighter, either with the same color as the kitchen, i.e.: halve it by 50% or whatever, or go with a different and lighter color.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Lowes Valspar Foxtrot was the neutral I used when the rest of my old kitchen was green.

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

What about Benjamin Moore's Guilford Green? You can Google lots of images of Guilford Green. (Maybe BM Hyde Park for the other room?)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Guilford green is also really nice. I was actually going to suggest it as well, decor.

Guilford Green

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

As is Georgian Green, a bit deeper.

Maybe Georgian Green in the kitchen and Guilford Green in the nook

Georgian Green

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Well I lost the photobucket ~
    It appeared that the rest of your house is already painted green ?

• autiemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have guildord green in my bathroom and I have an aloe in my family room! :) I do love green!

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

Tribbix I like your idea. From what I can see on my monitor, the Guilford Green and Georgian Green look really nice together.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Autie, no idea if this is feasible for you, but if those rooms were mine, I'd paint the kitchen and breakfast nook in the greens (again, darker in the kitchen, lighter in the nook) and the family room in the neutral.

Family room in BM Early Morning Mist. Ideally, also paint FP and trim white (BM White Dove)

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 15:43

• autiemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the idea of painting it green, but here is the other catch. My foyer, which has pretty high ceilings was painted SW Sea Salt not too long ago and I love love it. That hallway isn't going to change any time soon, becuase we had it pro painted. Do you think the green would look good off of that?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, SW Sea Salt would be beautiful in a breakfast nook. So paint the nook Sea Salt, and paint the kitchen in Sea Salt darkened 50 %. That would also be beautiful with the Morning Mist if you can paint your family room in that color. Those combinations would really lighten up the place and give it a more airy feel.

Also, Sea Salt is a cool color, so keep that in mind as well.

• autiemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooh, Tibbrix, I like that idea... Do you think that would look okay with my ivory counter tops? (Can't wait to replace them!) Sorry for all the questions, I am really questioning my instincts on this one for some reason.... I like the idea of going sea salt though I wouldn't have thought of going cooler like that....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes. Besides, in a year, you're going to renovate the kitchen anyway.

Approximation of Sea Salt in nook, darker Sea Salt in kitchen

• autiemom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point! :) Thanks for all your suggestions!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Again, just an approximation. No idea if this is actually what Sea Salt deepened 50% would look like.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. Thoroughly lousy job on the nook. Sorry!