Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountdgal

Does this Vanity Have a Modern Farmhouse/Vintage Feel?

mountdgal
9 years ago

Hello, I've finally picked out a bathroom vanity but of course, now im unsure :/
At first glance the vanity fits in perfectly with the other selections in my bath (Hex Floors, Subway tile, vintage style shower faucet, Beadboard ceiling) but as I look closer, I realize the vanity doesn't have the shaker style doors that all of the Houzz bathrooms I love have. My question is, will this vanity fit into that whole Vintage/Modern Farmhouse/Craftsman look? Is the trim too ornate? Does it look too formal? Can my choice of mirrors and lighting make it less formal?

Comments (27)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lighting choice 1: All of the hardware in my bath is chrome but I thought it might be kind of cool to do this with a clear beaded glass shade.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lighting Choice 2:

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lighting Choice 3:

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love light #1. It would be nice to have the contrast. I also really like the vanity.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I love that vanity but i'm not sure if i would call it farmhouse.

We have this vanity from Home Depot in our kid's bath which I think looks modern farmhouse. Unfortunately they don't make it any bigger.

{{gwi:2140485}}

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

If you're looking at the vanities offered by Amazon, it appears that either of these choices below have details that could be closer to farmhouse styling compared to the one you selected.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Good point Beverly. I wonder where the bun feet lie in the whole farmhouse modern feel. I am thinking that one big factor in it not looking "modern" farmhouse. Bun feet are a very traditional look.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dee, I have that same vanity in my upstairs bath and a Toto Promenade pedestal in my half bath.

Do you think the vanity I picked will fit into a vintage style bathroom based on the other choices? (Hex floor, subway tile, etc).

What style would you describe my vanity as?

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you think its too "fancy"? Btw, I love the faucets.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you get the first lighting fixture and change the chrome knobs on the vanity to wrought iron of cast iron knobs, that would go a long way toward achieving the farmhouse look you're going for. Beverly's vanities, though, have much more of a farmhouse look to them. The one you chose strikes me as being rather style-less, i.e.: it could go in any bathroom.

Also, if you're going with light fixtures with glass shades, I'd recommend putting them on a dimmer as the glare from bulbs with no filter can be harsh.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys. I see your point. My first choice initially was the version with the open bottom shelf but since that unit only has 3 draws that function, I was afraid of the lack of storage.

If I go in the direction of a vanity without the open shelf, what do you think of swapping out the vanity I chose for this one, but changing the faucets to the vintage style and changing out the hardware? (I don't like those pulls)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you like the one with the open shelf, get nice bins or baskets for the shelf you can just pull out.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys. I see your point. My first choice initially was the version with the open bottom shelf but since that unit only has 3 draws that function, I was afraid of the lack of storage.

If I go in the direction of a vanity without the open shelf, what do you think of swapping out the vanity I chose for this one, but changing the faucets to the vintage style and changing out the hardware? (I don't like those pulls)

{{gwi:2140479}}

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I think the one you chose will work just fine, I don't see any real need to switch to another. Essentially it's the counter top and faucets that the eye go to and that's all that matters plus you like it and that's the most important factor.

• User
    9 years ago

It's meant to be freestanding. It won't work snugged up against a wall. Most freestading vanities won't work in that situation.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

"My first choice initially was the version with the open bottom shelf but since that unit only has 3 draws that function, I was afraid of the lack of storage."

Both your choices have only three drawers. The first has inset, so there will be very little storage. Quite a useless vanity imo. The second might have tip-out shelves, but most likely they are false fronts. That's the nature of the beast of 60" two-sink vanities--no drawer storage.

Beverly's photo with the drawers under the sink bases gives you a little more storage, but those drawers are about 3" deep. Not where you'd want to keep your toothbrush!

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! My kitchen counters are Honed Carrara and my kitchen cabinet door style is semi shaker.

I just checked Pottery Barn's site any my vanity is very similar to theirs.. I love the Pottery Barn style and I think the vanity I bought will fit into my scheme well.. Just got a case of the panics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Version

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Put a mirror like this over the vanity and use wrought iron hardware, and you'll really have a lovely, farm-house bathroom.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Inside storage:

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately although Beverly's suggestion is beautiful, the storage is lacking and knowing me, I'd much rather have a place to "hide" all of shampoos and beauty products behind doors than the bin option that would be a wreck.

• pps7
    9 years ago

The feet style would be a deal breaker for me. The rest of it works quite well.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

The vanity you chose is very handsome. The turned feet & slim molding give it a softer & more polished look than many of the strictly linear forms while staying casual & informal. Find closed cupboards & drawers easier to maintain than low shelving in baths for those less meticulous among us & the extra out-of-sight storage welcome for nondecorative grooming essentials & cleansers. The only thing I find disproportional compared to older furniture versions of this style is the skimpy size of the knobs, and prefer them with beefier substance more in scale to my eye. They come in a variety of materials & finishes.

Stone tops are practical & classical. Consider marble the formica of the Victorian & Edwardian ages, commonly used with the arrival of indoor plumbing that spurred the trend of rooms devoted to personal hygiene.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse knobs

This post was edited by vasue on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 13:08

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I like your 1st choice or Beverly's 2nd pic best... either would look fantastic in the bathroom you describe! I also think the 1st light you show will look great!

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Vas and Busy. I can certainly change the hardware.

I know myself and I can a bit "non-meticulous" at times. The closed doors/Drawers make more sense with my lifestyle/storage needs. I can always put in an old pharmacy cabinet to display towels/decorative pieces.

I kind of panicked but it appears the PB version is pretty popular as it is sold out. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Cotsco vanities, first one with a more contemporary/beachy vibe, second more rustic.

{{gwi:2140487}}

{{gwi:2140488}}

Since you were considering switching out pulls, can you get the vanity without the two holes predrilled, or would you go with different pulls?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I tried to find you a double vanity with a soapstone top, but that appears to only be custom. Here is the storage in the Amazon vanity. Note the edge detail on the marble is also farmhouse plain.