Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

Finally getting a new kitchen - but what to do first??

scarlett2001
9 years ago

These are the elements that will be new: sink, backsplash, counters, cupboards (they are probably going to be re-surfaced) and floor. I have no idea in what order to do this and how to coordinate, so any and all ideas will be welcome!

I like a slight vintage look, but not mid-century modern.
Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Start with an inspiration piece...find a picture of a kitchen whose style you like...maybe on houzz. Or find a piece of art or fabric or something else that you can use as inspiration. That will help you decide a direction. Probably the first big decision is if you want to go light or dark or color with the cabinetry. Once that's decided, it will help you select a counter top and once that's decided it will help you choose the flooring. Backsplash is always last.

When it comes to plumbing fixtures think about function...do you want a single or double sink? Think about metal finishes. Will you be getting new appliances? If so, what finish will you want on them?

Don't forget lighting. If you don't have under cabinet lighting, now's the time to add it.

But before you do anything, be sure to look at the layout and see if there is anything about it you'd want to change. Now is the time. My GF made only a couple of changes in layout when she redid her kitchen...she moved the stove a few inches down and changed the location of her garbage. It made a huge difference in how her kitchen functions for her.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Unless you already know the colors and stye you want start first with hitting kitchen cab displays at cab shops and big box stores . They are a great source of ideas on everything to do with remodling a kitchen. Then paint the walls the first two coats . Then put in the flooring followed by refinishing the cabs and then the final coat of paint and the backsplash.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Head over to GW's Kitchen Forum for some added advice . . . And hand-holding. That forum was invaluable to me when we were planning and going through our own kitchen reno. There is a great associated site where everyone posts their pics. I think it's called the Finished Kitchens.
    Lynn

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

The kitchen forum can be a huge help. Don't let them talk you into more than you planned to do. All white cabs and granite counters with hardwood floors are really popular. If you want something else, get some inspiration pictures of what you do want so that you can describe it.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Per what AnnieD said -- look at inspiration pieces and collect photos of what you like -- online, in showrooms or via magazines.

I would then add, figure out what you are willing to spend and what is most important to you. Then start sketching out and photographing/measuring what you have and move over to the Kitchen forum. Read the post on how to ask for help, and then post away.

• tulips33
    9 years ago

I'd start looking through kitchen pics on Houzz to see what you like...that's how I did mine

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Start by developing a detailed budget based on how much you want to spend. This is especially important if you are purchasing your own materials and hiring installers, etc. (instead of having a general contractor to do it all).

Make a three column spread sheet. In the first column, put the cost element (cabinets, cabinet hardware, counters, backsplash, floor, sink, faucet, appliances, lighting fixtures, etc.). In the second column, put the amount you budget for each item. Finally, in the last column, put the amount you allocate to labor (cabinet installer, plumber, electrician, tiler, painter, etc.). Play with the numbers until the bottom line matches what you want to spend.

Once you have your budget set, start pricing items / getting estimates to ensure your numbers are realistic.