Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annabellesangels

What color is in your entry and hallways?

annabellesangels
16 years ago

We are moving into a house with a 2 story entry and open stairwell and hallway areas. I want to choose one color that goes through the house in these spaces. I love warm, though not dark, golden yellow colors. I also like the neutral taupes. I don't want the entry to be a 'bright' color though I don't want the area to seem dark. I live in the Pacific Northwest so light is very important to us! The home's entry faces southwest I believe.

We are having the trim throughout the house painted white. We have oak hardwood flooring. Any ideas as to great paint choices and/or suggestions based on what you have used in these areas of your home? I love color but when it gets down to picking paint colors, I freak out.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions!

Comments (66)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Another RH Cappuccino fan here. Daisydair, I'd love to see how yours looks.

I also feel like I post my paint a gazillion times but here it is anyway. I'm also in the PNW and don't feel it's too dark of a color. I have it in 80% of my house and love it. My trim is also white.

The Dining room in the background is RH Flax which is much darker than Cappuccino.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder & Lindybarts, I *never* get tired of seeing your homes -- they're GORGEOUS!!!

• nhb22
    16 years ago

gwendolynne - Your colors are very pretty together.

lindybarts - I love your home!

Thanks hoosiergirl!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I don't have a good photo of my entry...but my house is BM Wilmington Tan. It is a nice neutral with some depth to it. Not really golden or tan but both.

I really like the paint color in your old house also.
    Here it is in my bedroom...
    {{!gwi}}

Smiles:)

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

This is too funny about posting the same pictures. I thought the same thing - everyone has already seen my family room etc. they don't want to see it again!!

But back to the question of what color. I am also deciding what color I will put in my foyer, LR,DR (which face NE so not much light) and I would like a creamy color too. I am looking at EK wheat, parchment or classic cream. I just ordered some sample pots so when they come I will have to post another picture!

• marytxo
    16 years ago

Hi,
    What kind of paint is LA Gold 3?

• annabellesangels
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe it's Laura Ashley...you can get it at Lowe's I read?

• nhb22
    16 years ago

johnatemp 0 I'll have to remember Wilmington Tan. I really like it! Not as bold as mine. If we stay long enough to repaint, I may have a go with WT.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Here are some pics of RH Cappuccino which is in my dining room and entry.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

I love the color of your current home, annabelle. What is it? And I'm also glad that the rest of you posted your pics...I never tire of seeing your beautiful spaces! It makes me want to repaint! I love the way you've all chosen colors that really make your moldings and trim pop out, whereas I went with a lighter color, Pittsburg Wheat Sheaf, out of fear of being too dark for the PNW and it's safe, but just so-so.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

daisy....I love seeing someone else who has Cappuccino. It's such a great color.

• annabellesangels
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sujafr, thanks for the compliment. I sure wish I knew! It's from Martha Stewart Everyday line but it was a long time ago and we didn't paint it. The previous owners did so all I have is the paint can to try to match that if I want. I LOVE this house's colors. I get compliments all the time and that golden yellow looks great in every type of light. I have been trying to find chips to match the color but I might just take my old paint can over and see if they can match the color.

I love all of these color ideas! It's really making me feel so inspired and excited about my new home.

• annabellesangels
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg85, I got myself a chip of your LA Gold 3 and love how it looks in my new home. I am going to talk to my painter about it. If he uses other paint, for example, SW, do you think I would have trouble matching it? Thanks again.

• kittycat76
    16 years ago

We have SW Latte in our 2-story entry way and we love it. It's a medium-depth neutral and goes great with the red accents we have in the adjacent formal dining room and art niche. We ended up doing Latte in most of the house. I am about to share pics of the new paint job tomorrow so if you're interested you can check out my post.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

annabell, Sorry for not posting sooner. Last minute shopping! Anyway, I am glad you liked the color. Yes, your painter can have ANY color matched in whatever they use. I did this with my family room. BUT, get a small tester pot at Lowes and paint it on poster board to help you decide. Good luck!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

We have a two story foyer and upstairs hallway as well as adjoining family room in BM Wilmington Tan. We LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is so warm and not too deep. It has a way of changing in the light that is lovely. We have light oak hardwood floors with cream woodwork. I have a terrible time selecting paint and this was a recommendation from an interior designer.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Johnatemp, I love the color of the BM Wilmington Tan on your bedroom walls! What a beautiful bedroom you have.

I also love your bedside table's overall look (love the shape and white color of the lamp shade, the shape of the lamp's stem and base, etc.) and wish it came in a crystal with that slim base and that exact shade for my bedroom.

• msjay2u
    16 years ago

do i see a trend here? tans and golds for the hallway. LOL and I just brought paint for my foyer and guess what color? light gold. I find that sooooo funny.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

More gold....BM corn silk. Not crazy about it though.

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Mine is SW Ivorie. I don't have much wall space, just columns more or less.
    This is of the LR but the foyer is the same color.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivorie color

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

bungalow: What beautiful woodwork in your home. Very nice.

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

We are also in the Pacific NW and our entry is SW Believable Buff. Our entry faces North, but we have this color on most of our walls with Dover White for ceilings. I also wanted some "sun", but not too bright. My DD has Compatible Cream on her walls and it is also a beautiful golden color.

• nami
    16 years ago

Bungalow I love the gorgeous woodwork in your house.
    Bonnie I love the Ivoire in ur house, it looks ivory in my lighting it somehow looks a lot more yellow.
    Gwen and Newhomebuilder ur houses are gorgeous

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

Bonnie, your home is beautiful; so inviting---loved the ivorie color, and loved your kitchen and dr even more! (just had to look at the rest of the pics on your site)

annabelle, so glad you posted this question and hope you find a color you like as much as the one you have now. I cked out the MS colors for someday down the road when DH won't croak if I mention re-painting. Would love to see pics of your new colors after you finish. Thanks!

• msjay2u
    16 years ago

oceana I wish I would have seen your photo when I had my townhouse. I was looking for a good idea to use in the stairwell and that would have been perfect!
    bungalow_house you have a greta hallway...I would love to see more!!!
    hoosier_girl I see you have the same blue in your livingroom as my kitchen, I never liked blue before but I am loving it now!!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Glidden's "Coconut Milk". I swear this color just makes it seem as though the room is bathed in natural sunlight...even if there is very little.

• barbie08075
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

This 70's track house foyer appears pinker then it really is (all boys live here). I am planning to re-paint to some sort of gold at some point. The dry wall is so uneven and wavy it was best to cover with wall paper and that covered most of the flaws.

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

My house faces West and I had a heck of a time finding the right golden/beige tone that I was looking for as the landing upstairs had big windows that faced the east and the color looked totally different upstairs then it did at the bottom of the stairs. But...I finally found the right color and I love it! It is SW Golden Fleece.

Bottom of stairs:

Up the stairs:

Top of stairs:

• pirula
    16 years ago

Ours is a taupey/mushroomy/silvery/grayish...something. Depending on time of day. Beautiful always: DKC #16.

Here's a pic:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• brutuses
    16 years ago

acoreanna, can you please post a photo of your "Coconut Milk" walls? I'd love to see it. I'm looking for a color that has a hint of yellow, but stays bright looking even in low light levels. I looked at the CM on the Glidden site and it looks great, but the monitors are so off on the colors it's difficult to get a "true" picture of the color. Thanks

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

Has anyone ever seen EK Parchment or Wheat in person? I have narrowed it down to those two colors for my LR/DR/Foyer. It will back right up to my mustard seed so I don't want too much of a contrast but I do want to know that I have painted and it's not just plain white.

All of your hallways are beautiful!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Hilltop, thanks! You've made my day. :D

• brutuses
    16 years ago

bump for loribee

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Here you go brutuses, scoured through my photobucket for pics of the coconut milk...found some before/afters of nightstands we painted in which you can get a peek at the coconut milk in the background:

IRL it has just a hint more buttery creamy yellowness going on, and is just so soft...and almost has an inner glow...please excuse my non expert description, lol.

We also used it in a dark hallway, which has low ceilings and no natural light whatsoever. You can see it in this pic through the doorway/opening on the left. That hallway looks nice and bright even though there is only 1 bulb in there:

The criteria of what you're looking for is how I would describe the traits of this color, so I think it would be worth looking into.

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Nami & sujafr! Sujafr,Glad you enjoyed the other albums also and thanks again for your sweet compliments on my other rooms too!
    Bonnie

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Great postings in this thread! We have BM Wilmington Tan in our foyer/hall areas, and it works great. Being from Wisconsin, it's almost a necessity to use warm colors to warm up the long winter months.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

acoreana, you're right, it's very bright. I definitely will try some on the walls. Thanks so much for posting the photo's.

• msjay2u
    16 years ago

pirula thanks for the link to see your foyer but the rest of your house is to die for!!! I love it.

Acoreana That coconut milk color does make your foyer look very bright, as if there is lots of sunshine in the room. I like the effect it has.

Barbie I like your stairwell even though it is on the dark side.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

acoreana. I bought a quart of the Coconut Milk Glidden in an eggshell today. You're right it's very "sunny" but, not glaring bright, if that makes sense. I'm going to paint my current hall with it. The hall is very dark and right now it's painted a linen white (boring), but the CM is much brighter. I painted some sample squares throughout the house (I'm selling this house and it's just a paint experiment right now!) and they all look really good.

Let me make you laugh. Years ago when I first started watching design shows on TV I use to watch Linette Jennings. She has preached that halls should be painted a different color than the other walls in the house, for variety to stand out. Well, I took her advice and went and bought a "green" that I thought would look really nice in the hall. Well, I painted it during the day and it looked OK. However, that night when I turned on the light in the hall, the paint went neon!! I swear it hurt my eyes! HA! The next day I immediately went out and bought some linen white to cover up that horror!! Ah, the many hard lessons I've learned trying to copy someone on TV. LOL

Thanks again for the CM referral, good one!!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Fabulous colors and even better pics on this thread!! I love everything I have seen. Keep on, keep on :)

I love it when people link to their albums :)

Pirula - your kitchen is gorgous!!

Bonnie - your home is very well appointed and tasteful.

Smiles:)

• karen_76
    16 years ago

This is the foyer in the model home of the home I want to build. I'm sorry I don't have the name of the color, but I know it's Glidden paint. IRL, it's like a very light creamy yellow.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

That color looks like it could be Glidden Coconut Milk.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

bongalow, I think what happened to the cornsilk in your foyer is that it is up against the dark wood and in a small space so the color is more intense. I have some samples hanging on a white door (I'm trying to find colors for my new home) and it is much lighter than it shows in your foyer.

My own experiene is, I've always had difficulty matching paint colors to wood trim. I use to have wood trim in this house, but after 2 paint jobs ending in paint I hated, I just went ahead and painted all the wood white to save my sanity. HA! I'm not recommending that for you, just wanted to share my experience.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

Thanks brutuses. You're right, the contrast is the problem in my space. With the right white or cream trim color, it's probably much better.

Live and learn! :)

• acoreana
    16 years ago

My pleasure. LOL on the green horror story :)

Karen76, if that is not Coconut Milk it is very very close.

Wow, what a foyer, I can totally see why you can see yourself living in that home.

Looking through this thread again I have to say that I am constantly blown away by the homes of the very talented people on this forum. Keeps me taking baby steps (and a leap now and then ;-)) forward in my own never ending work in progress.

Happy New Year everyone!

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Who makes the RH Cappuccino?

Jodi-

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

My little foyer in BM cork:

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Jodi,

RH stands for Restoration Hardware.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Ahhh, no wonder I couldn't find anything online about it!

Thanks Jerseygirl.

I know where I'm headed this weekend. :-)

Jodi-

• loribee
    16 years ago

Thank you, brutuses! Very kind of you to bump this thread for me...I am following it with great interest and think that maybe a bench would be a welcome addition to my foyer!
    I will look this weekend, thanks~

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling