Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcclerk_gw

Can you identify these stools, please?

dcclerk
15 years ago

I went to one of those holiday home tours and fell in love with a house done by this design group. The house I toured had the same stools that are in the kitchen in this portfolio home. (I'm sorry that I can't figure out a direct link to just that picture-- it is toward the bottom right of the thumbnails.) It has a good mix of industrial with old school elegance (to my eyes). Have you seen it before? Will a set break my bank?

And extra points for those lights, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: The stools are in the Rumson NJ house

Comments (22)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

They are called *draftsman stools*. If you Google you will find similar ones to those, and probably the exact ones if you search long enough.

Here are similar ones:

http://www.wisteria.com/prodinfo.asp?number=W2498

Here is a link that might be useful: Draftsman Stool

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

If you go to this site:
    http://www.smithdrafting.ca/stoolsca.htm

And then scroll aaaaall the way down the page to; SERIES 621 SWIVEL DRAFTING STOOLS Adjustable Swivel Drafting Stool $231

You will see a draftsman stool that looks just like the one you linked to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable Swivel Drafting Stool

• creekylis
    15 years ago

What I really like is what looks to be a giant corkboard behind the sofa in the family room. I'm honestly tempted to do that and hang my children's art on it. Unexpected and fun, IMHO.

• judiegal6
    15 years ago

Only 83.99

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Pretty, but between the hard seat and no back, who would want to sit on those things?

Wallpaper alert! Above the chair rail in the entryway.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

You mean those birds, graywings? Wow! Don't know if I love it or hate it...but I usually love those things where I have to do that aesthetic wrestling! :-)

I gotta say, I don't usually feel drawn to "designed" spaces but that Rumson house is fabulous. I could easily live there amidst the mix. These guys are very, very good. Thanks for the link dcclerk.

As for the stools, I am on the hunt, too. I really can't get past my need for backs. Visually, no backs would be better. But function and comfort come first for me... Love that look though. I wonder if you can find them with backs?

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

That house is gorgeous!

Amy, the drapes in there I am picturing in your almond velvet - yummy.
    The light fixture over the kitchen table is to die for!

My dad was a draftsman & in his office he had the stools with the back like in the link that Dilly Dally posted. They were wood seats - don't know if they were comfortable or not....he wasn't really into making his employees comfortable - there were no windows!! I remember those handheld electric erasers that he had.....I would love to go sit at a drafting table & draw & erase!! I have saved one of his old drafting tables - maybe I should go snatch one of the old stools.

Smiles:)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

..After clicking on the links above, it was Wisteria.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Yeah, johnatemp, I thought that about the curtains, too! You have a good eye and a good memory! :-)

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

We have one of those stools from Wisteria...it's charming looking and horribly uncomfortable for any length of time! Not just hard, but cold, and the slope of the seat does not cooperate with the shape of one's bum. But in the place that we use it, it only gets perched on, and needed to fit under the table and look charming the rest of the time, which it does very well.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Oh, and I looked at the pin-up surface over the sofa, and to make it look more elegant than corkboard, I suspect that what they have done is to cover a sheet of homasote (a fiber product that takes push pins really well, and which you can get in 4x8 sheets from building suppliers) with a piece of fabric (likely linen, because it's also easy to pin through), and put it on the wall with 3 or 4 inch picture molding.

• dekr8
    15 years ago

I loved these stools as well after seeing a post by runninginplace and did some research. Check out this thread and pics. posted by runninginplace. I found the other stools by searching for industrial stools.

From this link a pic. from MSL Martha Stewart Living ... http://designerslibrary.typepad.com/designers_library/2008/01/industrial-stoo.html

and from Target $109.99...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Grass Thread

• upa_lazy_river
    15 years ago

The first two pics that Dekr8 posted are the new "barn" of Ina Garten, cookbook author of Barefoot Contessa fame. Her new home was showcased in the last issue of House Beautiful. Don't you love that kitchen?

• cookie08
    15 years ago

Pottery Barn also has stools like those

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I love that wallpaper! But only in that house.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Well said bumblebeez!

• dcclerk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was gone all day and it was so much fun to see all of the answers I received to my question. Thank you everyone; I really appreciate the time that people spent to help me out!

I really like the pictures dekr8 posted. I am very much drawn to that look And I love that all of the options posted are relatively reasonable. It seemed like several people raised the point about the stools not having backs. It is a point that I have not considered much, and should give more thought to. I honestly suspect that I have avoided the thought because so far I have not been drawn toward a stool with a back so I really don't want to ponder its necessity!

One thing I noticed when reviewing everyone's suggestions is that none of the suggested ones have as many spindles/legs nor do they go out as far in width as the one I posted. The ones I posted from Lucas Designs seem organic to me-- almost octopus-like. What do you think about it? Do you think those details really add to it? Or do they take away from the overall look?

Thank you, again, for all of your help!

• joe_LucasStudioInc_com
    15 years ago

Hi DC Clerk...I am one of the designers from Lucas Studio, Inc. I am so happy you liked the house in Manhattan Beach and Rumson. The Rumson house will be featured in the May issue of Traditional Home so be sure to get it! As for the stools...they are from a trade only source but we carry them in our shop in West Hollywood called Harbinger www.HarbingerLA.com - We can order them for you if you would like. They run about $600 per stool plus shipping I believe. They are quite comfortable and we use them a lot because they are adjustable for different heights and work really well for kids.

As for the cork board in the Rumson house...it is just that. A cork board that we custom sized and painted a custom color. The client switches out her children's art each month and "frames" it in standard matting available at frame stores to give it a cleaner look. An easy solution for anyone!

• somanychoices
    15 years ago

Hi, Joe -

Your work is beautiful!! The cork board is a great idea, and I really like the stools - although I agree with DC Clerk about having backs. Would you mind telling where the dining room chairs in the Rumson house are from? Thanks!

• joe_LucasStudioInc_com
    15 years ago

Thanks...the chairs in Rumson are called the "Anna" chair from Vincent Shepard Lloyd Loom available through the Janus et Cie showroom in Los Angeles. They are great chairs - we use them a lot.

• somanychoices
    15 years ago

Thanks again, Joe.