Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

feather throw pillows shedding, help!

dgmarie
14 years ago

What can I wrap around my down pillow inserts that will keep them from poking feathers through the inserts and through my throw pillows? There must be something I can wrap them with to stop them from shedding. The 20" pillows have zippered access to the down inserts.

Comments (17)

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did find these from BBandB but I'd need to cut them shorter to fit 20" throws. At $5.99 for two that's pretty cheap. Anything better out there? I need 8 total cases of them for the living room.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14181598&RN=36&KSKU=109091

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I would try wrapping them in some kind of dacron batting, buy a few yards and cut them to size.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

I asked this same question a while back. Those feathers are sharp!!

Apparently there is a fabric known as down-proof that you could encase them in. The cases you linked to don't mention that, so they might not help you. If you find something quick and easy that works, please let us know.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I have down cushions in my leather sofa, it's several years old and when new those feathers poking through the leather drove me nuts (and sometimes hurt!). I finally put a thin layer of batting over the down and it slowed it quite a bit. A few years ago I got some silk throw pillows with down in them. (Silk is a zippered case.) I put multiple layers of thin synthetic batting around the down inserts. You'd think if the occasional stray feather still pokes through leather they'd poke through the batting + silk on the pillows, but it's not been a problem (maybe a stray one here and there). Perhaps because there isn't a lot of pressure and movement shoving the feathers around inside the pillows as there is on the sofa?

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The cases I linked are down proof:

"Zippered Pillow Protector (Set of 2), 100% Cotton, 250 Thread Count

Keep your pillows clean and fresh with these zippered pillow protectors that encase your entire pillow. Feather and down proof, they will extend the life of your pillows for years to come. 100% cotton, 250 thread count. Machine wash. Imported. Set includes two pillow protectors"

I was just hoping to find ones I didn't need to alter.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I would just buy new pillow inserts and get rid of the down pillow inserts.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Down and feathers are not the same thing.
    100% down pillows won't have "feather pokes"...but lots of down feather mixtures will have enough feathers to poke through.
    Make cases of heavy count percale or micro fiber for the pillows....don't replace your nice feather/down throw pillows with cheap foam or dacron.
    Linda C

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Down and feathers are not the same thing.
    If you want to get technical about it, down is a type of feather.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

DGMarie, long time no see. Sorry about your pillows. Some of my European needle points did the same thing. I changed out the entire stuffing to some kind of phony shredded stuff. It's okay. They are just for decor anyway. I hope you find a better solution.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahaha. Too funny!

How completely crazy to see that I am googling this problem and find MY own post from five years ago.

And NO I still have the problem! Same pillows. Feathers everywhere. I wrapped them in multiple layers of old pillow cases and now those feather are BACK. Well, time to do something I guess.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Did you try the protectors you linked from BB&B? They seem like a good deal, and I was just looking to get new ones for my pillows. My originals were great, but the zippers are starting to fail.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, I also wanted to note that washing the pillow protectors every so often helps tighten the fabric back up if the feathers seem to start leaking after a while :)

• ge020904
    8 years ago

I have the same problem and found this thread through Google. It's so annoying. We got a wonderful new sectional a few months ago with feather throw pillows. The feathers poke through and then come out constantly. I really like the way the feather filling feels otherwise. I'm thinking of buying pillow protectors for bed pillows and just cutting 8" or so off the ends opposite the zipper and sewing them back up.

• Karrie O'Casey
    5 years ago
    I had the same problem, but I found regular pillow protectors (standard size, for 20 inch pillows) does the job pretty well, and at a pretty good price. I didn't even bother altering the protector, just folded it over a few times at the seam, and I can't tell! I don't know why it took me a few years to try this. I thought I was going to have to sew custom insert covers for all 10 of my pillows. Glad I didn't have to do that, I'm happy to pay a LITTLE extra to avoid the hassle.
  • ava34
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@Kman1602 -- THANK YOU that was EXACTLY what I needed!!!

Just bought a few yards of ticking fabric from Joanns, cut to approximate size, put a layer in between feather insert and decorative pillow cases (didn't bother sewing so we'll see if it starts to scrunch down right away) and it seems to be working just fine! Before I did this I pulled out all the feathers that were part way sticking out and tried to shove them back in. Then fluffed the feather inserts in the dryer on air dry with some dryer balls. Voila.

• randyordi
    5 years ago

Heard someone used blackout fabric and it works great...found an ugly blackout curtain on clearance and will try...