Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

Thrift Shop find!

KelliC
10 years ago

I went to Goodwill today to get some clothes for an upcoming baby birthday. I usually don't go over to the furniture area but today was 50% off day so I wandered over there. There was the end table for $15. It ended up being $7.50 after the 50% off :) I plan on sanding it and either staining or painting it darker. I have all dark wood in my house. Do you think I should paint the fake stone top or should I leave it be?

Comments (16)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I don't think you will be able to sand and stain the door panels, they are probably plastic.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

My grandmother bought a similar table for my mother back in the sixties, I think. It was carved on the top as well as on the sides and it was solid wood. There was glass in sections that sat down in the top over the carving rather than the stone piece on yours. I have never painted stone, so can't advise you there, but perhaps you could have a wooden insert made and then, if the table base is wood, stain both .

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

What is fake stone made of ?

• Fori
    10 years ago

Are you sure it's fake stone? There were a lot of travertine and other brownish marbles used during what I'm guessing is the period.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

A bunch of painted examples.

Can you take out the top? If yes, you could wrap it with leather, a world map, decoupage...

Below a link to lots of images. When you click on some of the images, more will pop up.

Here is a link that might be useful: hexagonal side table

• loribee
    10 years ago

Love the second example... Have fun with this!

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The doors aren't plastic.. they're solid wood. I'm not sure at all what this top is. I'll post a few close-ups. My room is mostly browns, reds, dark woods, beige. I really want it to pop but I already have so much red in here that I'm scared of just painting it red.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

side of top

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Underneath

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I believe you that the frames of the doors are wood. I would be really surprised if the carved portion was solid wood. It may be wood, but it's usually some kind of pressed wood product, not solid wood. For that to be actual carving would be unexpected quality for what was a piece of price-point furniture, when new.

• Fori
    10 years ago

That does look like stone...from Portugal? :) Of course if it weighs as much as styrofoam, well....

Why do we assume it was a "price-point" piece of furniture, when new? Even the cheap ones were copying something. Is there a manufacturer tag on it?

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The top is HEAVY. As in it fell out of the top on the way home and crushed my poor ceramic bird. :(

No manufacturer tag. Just a bunch of dead spiders. Probably wasn't a good idea to turn that over... lol

• gmp3
    10 years ago

Check some of these out, how about cream with a glaze?

Here is a link that might be useful: pinterest painted tables

• melsouth
    10 years ago

I have one a lot like that.
    It was left in a house (of smokers) when the house was sold.
    The new homeowners were going to throw it away but offered it to me.

I had to paint it with Kilz to get rid of the cigarette smell.
    Then I painted it a sort of khaki color, and it looks fine.
    We use it in the room where our college-age kids watch tv and play video games when they are here.

I believe the top is granite.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i don't like the contrast of the top with the wood... i would probably paint the wood a creamy color so that the top sortof blended in with the base...
    i don't know what you would use to paint it if it's a resin or a stone, but i would definitely paint the top too if i wanted the table a darker color and if there's something durable to paint that surface with.... don't think it's a particularly pretty stone, so i would have no problem covering it if there is a good product to cover it with!

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It smells rather musty so I'll have to try to the kilz. Thanks for the link GMP3! I found one that I think I'm going to try. I started sanding it to expose all of the wood. Most of the carvings are sanded but there's a lot left to sand still. I'm wondering if I can put some wallpaper on the top of that table and then spray it with sealant. I've done that with table in the past and they held up until my dog chewed them.

Here is a link that might be useful: White table