Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Anybody up for a vote on paint color

kellienoelle
10 years ago

Looking to paint our master bedroom while my husband is off for the holidays. I am not quite ready to "decorate" this room but figured that I could find a paint color that I prefer to the current color. I was hoping for a nice calming blue/gray/green color that reads relaxing. I do have existing furniture in cherry wood, a duvet cover in white, the floors are a medium stained oak, the trim is white.I have artwork in similar tones. Here are a couple contenders that I have painted on the walls. We;ll go from top to bottom, number 1-3, anybody have a preference?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
This is with little sunlight so I will hope to take different pic as it appears with more direct light.

Any votes? I can find something nice about al of them.

Comments (40)

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I can't really see the colors in these pics, I think I like the bottom best but please post better pics with more light in the room...

I can highly recommend BM Wedgewood Grey we have it for our bedroom and I love it - I lay in bed just gazing at it sometimes! It feels very spa/relaxing.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will post some more tomorrow.These images were taken at duck, so had little light, but to be honest,we'll probably spend more time there in the dark, so how it looks without natural light is important to me!

• amykath
    10 years ago

It depends on what you like. The top color is warm and cozy. The bottom is more airy. From a distance I was drawn to #1.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

As you say, each color has their merits.
    If you want a deep restful cozy feeling, although the architecture is much different, I believe the top one might look like this. And this gives great ideas for window treatments.

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Atlanta Interior Designers & Decorators Mary Trantow

The middle color probably isn't this blue but IMO it'll be the trickiest to get right. Without the ocean view in the window and the matching chairs to the paint this room could look baby-blue pastel. KWIM?

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Vero Beach Interior Designers & Decorators jill Shevlin - Intrinsic Designs

Just another thought, have you considered adding wainscotting and painting two-tones?

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Grand Rapids Architects & Designers Visbeen Architects

• ellendi
    10 years ago

My vote is number 1. Wythe Blue is similar I think.

• romy718
    10 years ago

FYI, on my ipad the top picture is upside down so the 1,2, & 3 are reversed in the two pics. First pic, the darkest is on the bottom. Second pic the darkest is on the top.
    I'll check back on your new pics to vote.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic during the day, my iphone doesn't like shooting into light so it still appears a bit shadowed. Here are the colors from top to bottom, all SW

Top - Quietude
    Middle - Rainwashed
    Bottom - Sea Salt

I'm leaning toward the Quietude based on the same thoughts that you brought up Marji. Last thing I want is a baby blue room. Plus you are correct in that I don't have a lovely ocean view (can you see my neighbors houses out the windows). I was initially concerned it would be too dark in a not so big room, but because it is smaller, the walls are broken up with windows, doors, closets, etc.

I love the wainscotting, its beautiful and would be period appropriate (and perhaps even make this obvious addition fit in more with a 1920 colonial house). However, my time and money are focused elsewhere at this point and I am not quite ready to "do" this room. My husband just wanted a project and paint is easy. I'll file ideas away for the future.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 15:33

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With that being said (nothing like project creep, huh), I wonder about window treatments with the set up of the room. It's a "box" but has closets along one wall which throws off the proportions of the "box". The fact that the bed is off center in that window bugs me but I can't figure out how to remedy with the current furniture in the room (which I do use for clothing storage - it was a struggle to give up a walk in closet). One idea that I have (bear with me - this does relate to painting) is that I could move the armoire to the wall opposite the bed. However I think to do that I would need to have the lightswitch moved over a few inches. Then I could center the bed and still be able to open the closet doors (although I would likely have to lose the nightstand on that side). Obviously moving the light switch would be best done prior to painting.

Thoughts?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I sampled Sea Salt and Rainwashed in my guest bath, which gets no natural light. They both appeared slightly minty-fresh, as in toothpaste! I saw tons of baths done in those colors on Houzz, and while they look good with white cabinetry and bead board, I came to the conclusion that they were too cottage-y for my caffe-stained cherry vanity.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Centering the bed might be a good idea. You could have some floating shelves or hanging nightstand on that wall between bed and closet.

I'm not sure what it would look like to have the armoire between the two doors. Too many high doors? Maybe someone can photoshop before you actually move the light switch.

See below for some bedroom ideas from Apartmenttherapy

Here is a link that might be useful: bedroom ideas

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 15:18

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

hi kellie! in your room i like the darker - the quietude. especially if you're looking for calming. the lighter tones are brighter, crisper, more cottagey feeling to me.

so i vote #1. :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

I like #1 also. Looks like it will blend nicely with the blue in your rug.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I know those paint colors well, I've been walking around with the paint swatches and strips for months. They all have the character that they go blue in some lights and green in others. The more natural the light I think the more they tend to go green.
    In your pictures here they tend to look very blue.
    I will also say that every time I've tried to photograph the tile that almost exactly matches Rainwashed my picture comes out blue although it is more green. So I know it's a really difficult color group to photograph.

Mayflowers is right, there are tons of pictures on Houzz of each of those colors in rooms. That might give you some help in thinking about how they're going to look.

If you take a picture straight on of that wall with doors closed, and a picture straight on of the armoire with as little else as you can get in the pic I'll photoshop it in for you. If that's not possible, a picture of the armoire at the same angle as the photo of the wall could work.

Just FYI I'm planning on using Rainwashed in my master bedroom, which doesn't get a lot of natural light as it's under porch roof, using Greek Villa, a SW white for my trim, and I've purchased a sand colored Oushak rug for the room. My furniture is mahogany. I've chosen a Thibaut linen for drapery panels and am using a whiter washed natural woven wood for privacy at the windows. I'm not at all worried about it looking pastel.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Here's sea salt in my bathroom. I love it for the light in brings into the room. I jumped on the "brown" bandwagon a few years ago and liked that for about a week until I realized how dark it made the bathroom and it didn't look good with the stained cabinets, either. If you want cozy, you would probably wouldn't choose sea salt, but it's not baby blue, either. It has a lot of grey in it actually, and just matches the background of some fabric I have in the master bdrm that looks more grey than blue.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Sally, thanks so much for posting this direct comparison. The sea salt look sooooo much nicer.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you thank you for the pictures and board. Both of your rooms and colors are lovely. I had looked online (extensively) at rooms in these colors (it was how I narrowed it down to these three) so was a bit surprised how different they looked when I put the samples on my wall as compared to the online rooms. I was wondering if perhaps I should have painted a larger swatch. Regardless I can't photo these colors so they accurately depict what I am actually seeing so I think I am on my own as far as choosing one. What's $75 (give or take) and several hours of my life? I can always repaint if I hate it.

Marji - if you can work photoshop magic, I would appreciate it! Here is the best "straight on" pic of the armoire I can get, the bed is in the way! I also wonder if it will be too many tall things against that wall (although it currently is between two closets so similar)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

This is done with SW quietude, using the swatch of paint color from the SW site, and done on my MacBook.
    I understand that colors done on the Mac don't always translate true onto a PC monitor, true as in how they looked on the Mac.
    So if you have an iphone or ipad look there first.

If you want later I can photoshop Rainwashed or Sea Salt in.
    As you said, you probably aren't going to really get a feel for how it looks until you paint it.
    But I think I'd like it a lot. I love the depth of this color for a colonial, esp with white trim. And I like the armoire between those doors.

Sallymo, love your Sea Salt bath!
    I was looking at Sea Salt for my master bath but our cabinet guy, who's color sense is second to none, picked Mountain Air for the bath, based upon the cabinet color he's making and the tile selections, so I'm going to trust him on it.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Kellie, besides being functional, that's a very attrractive armoire. I would want to make it work in my bedroom.
    Marji, your master bedroom is going to be beautiful. I love the combo of the Rainwashed, the rug colors & your woven wood shades. Thibaut linen is gorgeous.
    Sallymo, really interesting to see what a difference a couple of coats of paint can make. Lovely color in your bath.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

By "chance", our bathrooms are very similar color to Sallymo's, and it's beautiful - very serene, not too blue and not too grey. ("By chance" because we planned to paint a dark blue - Soulful Blue - and the night before realized it would be too dark in a bathroom with no natural light. The morning of painting, I talked to the painter and told him to paint it a color akin to the primer that he had already used. The color we got is the one that looks like Sally's and it's so gorgeous we used it in the other bathroom too. In both cases, the accents are white and grey - Carrara on the floors, in one bath, silver strand on the walls, in the other, white on the walls and various shades of grey on the shower floor).

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Marji! I already started painting Quietude so have one coat on that very wall. It looks very much a wedgewood blue, so maybe a bit deeper than the color that you used from the site. I can already tell (I hope) that I am going to love it. Just seeing it next to the tan makes me happy since I prefer cooler colors in bedrooms. I also like the armoire there. It probably makes more sense to have it there because it has a TV in it so would be better for viewing from the bed (although I can count the number of times I have turned it on on one hand - with one being today so I can get my husband painting on a Sunday during football playoff season). The good news is, I told him my "plan" about moving the outlet and the armoire and he is completely on board. So I think I'll contact my contractor guy and see if he can fit in about 1 days worth of work when he is between projects. So much for not being ready to "decorate" the room....haha. Marji - I may have to steal your drapery ideas. And that rug isn't big enough so I have been planning on replacing it someday soon. Too bad I didn't win that huge powerball jackpot. My bank account isn't keeping up with my plans.

Sally and SJ - your baths are both so lovely and serene! That is the look I am going for so your photos make me feel like I'm making the right choice. Thanks for sharing! The right blue/gray/green is a magical color. Just hard to get "right"!

Hopefully Ill be back later with pics of the painted room.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 14:32

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing pics of the room.
    Kellie, I had no intention of buying the bedroom rug when I did, but I was in the tile & flooring store re backsplash and kept looking at the rugs. One day I went in there and they were having an "owner just returned from market sale". She was selling off all the rugs that she could no longer get in multiple sizes, the ones the reps weren't going to have any more, at 70% off. I looked around the net, and this rug is pretty well represented among the places that sell rugs and it was generally between $3200 and $3700. I couldn't NOT buy it, and it is perfect.

So, watch the sales.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, Marji - I bought my Oushak rug (in my dining room) from a guy's driveway for around the same price. Turned out he was the owner of a very nice local rug store. It started as him selling his overstock to his neighbors and evolved into a "driveway sale" a few times a year. He should be starting again in the spring, so I just have to go and take a look!

And here is the finished room. At night it appears more green (as you can see in these photos), during the day it appears more wedgewood blue so I'll take a pic tomorrow. Now I am just really excited about window treatment, pillows, and STUFF.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• romy718
    10 years ago

Kellie, that looks lovely, so nice with your white trim & your wood tones. All that in one afternoon, impressive! It looks like a completely different room. I hope your just lying in bed this evening & admiring it.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks romy! Sadly painting is pretty much the only DIY project that we are capable of, so we don't mind the work. Although my back is sore and my hand is cramping (I'm the trim/cut-in'er, my husband is the roller), I am always so pleased with how you can refresh a room with just a few hours and under $50 (FYI - SW pretty much will always give you a discount if you aren't at a sale time and you ask....this time it was 30%)

• redbazel
    10 years ago

Lovely. Very nice color and the room is going to be beautiful.

Red

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

It looks great!

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Very pretty color for your room. So refreshing and cozy at the same time!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love it! What a great transformation! And a great inspiration!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

It looks great!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I keep coming back to a black and white toile or damask for the accents such as drapes, pillows, etc. Somebody last week was asking about spicing up black and white toile and the examples given showed how great it looked against a different color. Normally I am not so traditional, but I just loved several of those rooms and maybe done as an accent only it won't feel so fussy. Plus the furniture in there is pretty traditional anyway, although I am unsure how it would look with the cherry wood. I can't find a good picture with those elements

Perhaps I should start a new thread now that this isn't about paint color anymore!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That color looks wonderful. Isn't it grand what a new coat of paint can do?!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, you could go for a more modern black and white "toile" or damask

or my favorite IKEA:

Of course, I'm so boring, I'd just go with creamy linen

Here is a link that might be useful: black and white damask

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, that top pic of the black and white damask is what I was envisioning. Although I also do love how peaceful and romantic the simple white linen looks. That pic you choose is one of the rooms that I kept going back to with paint selection, the one that made me sample the rainwashed. Plus I have that same duvet cover! And ikea has white linen panels for $49 per pair. Guess the question is if I want something more for pop or for calm.

We had a contractor came by tonight to bid for moving the light switch, so I'll be getting my rearrangement in a week or two! I'll have to go scope out fabric options in the meantime!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

My personal choice would be the white linen, especially until you get a new rug. You have a lot in that room, and adding a big bold pattern might just overwhelm. And a black and white might seriously limit your rug choices.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think a white or beige would be nice and serene and go well with your bedroom colors and furniture. I had a gray blue bedroom in my last house. I used both.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

great choice on the paint kellie! the room looks so fresh!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You could always go with "crazy" pillows that you change out. Cream and brown furry in winter, flowery in spring, bold and graphic, etc.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I love the last pic that nosoccermom posted with your white duvet, white panels & the colorful flowery pillow. Very fresh looking. I know what you mean about the black & white toile. I was very drawn to it also, especially the bedroom in maggiepie's old house.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, how pretty!! I would play it safe as well with linen panels and punch it up with toile or pattern pillows.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Love your transformed bedroom. Paint can be tricky but you got it right. As for WTs, I agree with NSM and would play it safe with the white panels, especially since your bed isn't exactly centered on the window. Draw more attention to the bed itself with some colorful pillows and a throw and eventually a pretty rug.

BTW, if anyone else is looking for a similar 'non-baby-boy blue', look at Pratt and Lambert's 'Ascent'. I used it in a small bath at our lake condo and it worked out great. The paint consultant recommended it when I told her what I was looking for, and they had a huge wall painted in that color at the store. I was sold.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES