Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenpea_gw

Monogram placement on napkin?

gardenpea_gw
9 years ago

My kids gave me an embroidery machine last Christmas, and I am embarrassed to admit I am just now attempting a small, project or my daughter will be upset. Plus they may never give me a gift again if I don't use it.

So on which corner of a napkin does the monogram go? I was taught in home ec 50 years ago that the fold goes next to the plate;therefor, I would think it would go so it's in the lower left hand corner. Googling and searching online, however, shows no rules as such--do what you want---and a lot of the pics a hoe the letter in the bottom right corner, which puts the fold to the outside and not next to the plate. So, where do I put the initial? I don't want to put in the middle or on the diagonal in a corner as I think that would be harder to do. Thanks for your help and opinions.

Comments (14)

• duvetcover
    9 years ago

Seems to be personal preference. But in googling, this is what I found:

The placement of the monogram on a table napkin depends largely on personal preference. The most common place where initials are monogrammed are on the lower right corner or directly in the center of the napkin.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like it in the corner.
    I think if it was centered, it would make it hard to use the napkin and hard to fold.

{{gwi:2140435}}

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Annie is correct. I have some napkins that are monogramed in the center. They are a pain to use.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

Embroider first, cut napkin out after.

believe me, you will save a lot of grief doing it this way!

• User
    9 years ago

This is exactly why I did not have my napkins monogrammed! Who knows who'll be folding them before your dinners?

I have three sets of eight linen placemats, each set monogrammed (red, green, gold) and that monogram is in the upper left corner. Nothing covers it there. No idea if that is "right," lol.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Linens used to be. like silver in that they were the most valuable household items. Therefore they were marked to keep track of them. Shirts were also marked this way so that they came back from the laundress to the proper owners.

You can put the embroidery wherever you like now. There are endless ways of folding available. Congratulations on your new machine. Try it on some inexpensive napkins first. You can make a nice stack of holiday coasters and then you will be ready for some beautiful dinner napkins.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I, too, was taught the fold goes on the side away from the plate, which means the monogram would go in the lower right corner of the face of the napkin.

• gardenpea_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry to have been forever acknowledging your replies. I have managed to embroider a few things for the new grandbaby and still have done no napkins. Glad several of you said to put monogram in lower right corner. I was also taught to put the fold away from the plate so thought the letters should be in right lower corner. However, after googling and asking at a monogram shop, it seems one can do whatever and some seem to say the opposite.

• shercules9
    6 years ago

I have done napkin napkin monograms and think that the corner makes the most sense. It is sometimes difficult to find a monogram style that looks nice on all lettersw. I love the monogram in the picture. What is it and where can I get it?

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

I would put it in the bottom right corner, but if it is placed diagonally (as in Annie's photo), it would not matter.

When using three letters, does each person get his own monogram? My mother only used the initial letter of our last name, so that it would be generic. I would only do handkerchiefs with two or three letters. Of course if you are one of the Kardashians, you can put "KK" on all napkins. Or you could embroider a family crest. We do not have one, but my father had a branding iron that was unique to our family.

• Sydney Matthews
    6 years ago

Gotta Love Emily Post!

• Sydney Matthews
    6 years ago

I love to research! But, y'all are right, times have changed. (Beaumont Junior Cotillion)

• Jan O'Malley
    2 years ago

Do you monogram on the end of the napkin with the tag or the opposite end? This will be my first time doing this project.