Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

My Daughter & SIL Are Building a "Cottage"

monicakm_gw
9 years ago

My daughter and SIL just closed on their house today and will be ready in the next month or two to start building a Southern Living Coastal "Cottage of the Year 2002". She wants to decorate it in old farm decor. Not new stuff that looks old, but OLD :o She wants her wood floors to creak LOL. We'll see how that works out. She's asked her dad to be the GC. Should be a fun and interesting next few months. Here is a link to the SL page that shows the outside views as well as several inside shots. Master suite is semi-detached. Never heard of such a thing. Breeze way between the main house and "guest cottage" that they will make into her commercial kitchen. She's a baker. I'm excited for her! I remember building our home when we were 21 and 22 (they're 32 and 33). Building was fun. Remodel...not so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living Cottage

Comments (26)

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Well it is a "southern" home. I see the semi detached here quite often. In fact my DH built a home on the beach that has all four bedrooms seprate from the main living area. Each bedroom with sitting area, mini kitchen, and large bathroom. Wonderful idea for their grown children. It's a beautiful home. I hope your DD and SIL enjoy it for many, many years!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Love that home. That is what I would build. It makes so much sense.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What a stunning house. Love the idea of both separate master suite and guest house. Makes so much sense. Sounds like they've got a nice lifestyle going for them.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

That is so darn cute. And how wonderful that she can put her business there too.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, and it makes so much sense for her business, too. I love it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, who wouldn't feel like baking in that house?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What a wonderful house. I love the separate master and the guest suite. Great place for her commercial baking space.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

so cool, keep us updated !

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Tibb's right, she should make it her logo and sell sugar cookies in that shape, too!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm liking it the more I look at it. It just caught me off guard at first. It's not that "open concept" that most people want. But then again, old farm houses weren't open. DH is in the business and he sees master suites connected by a vestibule quite often. They're mostly in much larger, rambling homes tho. It's 2600 sq ft but doesn't look like it, to me. The back cottage was originally going to be her husband's "man cave". I think it was his idea to make it her business kitchen.
    carminnc, that house your husband built sounds really
    interesting!

Tribbix, I thought the same thing. That house just screams "someone slap on an apron and bake something in me!" :)

She's a hands on type of girl that doesn't mind hard work and getting her hands dirty so they're going to do as much of the building as they can. I was pregnant with her when we built our home. My husband wouldn't let me do anything more than lift a finger and point!

They're building on 20 acres they just bought.

{{gwi:2140434}}

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate removed

This post was edited by monicakm on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 20:41

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I love it! How exciting! I really like the floor plan & style of the house.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Dh and I saw that house! We lived on the East Coast then and drove down to that area for a vacation and stopped in to see the idea house. It was an awesome house! We would love to build it (not feasible where we live now due to the lack of empty land).

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do they have any children? Just curious bc if she does, will they sleep above her kitchen in the guest cottage? Will she use the entire first floor of guest cottage for her kitchen?

What a beautiful spot for such a unique and lovely home!

I think having the master separated by a vestibule is genius. The bedroom will be much quieter that way. So, if someone wants to go to bed early and there are a handful of noisy ppl in the main living space they won't have to hear them. BTW, I am the type to go to bed much earlier so I would LOVE that!

I am looking forward to the progress! How fun! Looks like a great flat space to build the house. I bet the building of it will fly by. We starting our build back in April and are just now finishing up with the framers. Our house in on a super steep lot so just getting it ready took eons!

• Mike121
    9 years ago

That is what i will say a perfect contemporary home. Rooms have good natural sunlight coming in. Furniture style is also elegant. For me full marks to it.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery, yes, they have two children (aka the most WONDERFUL-EST grandbabies in the world!). That's them in the photo above running thru their new pasture. No, they won't be in the loft above the kitchen. They'll be upstairs in the main house and yes, she'll be using the entire first floor of the guest cottage for a kitchen. I don't know what will be upstairs.
    Thanks Mike :)

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

It sort of reminds me of one of my favorite houses: the house in the movie Housesitter, in which the bedroom was separated from the rest of the house with a glass walkway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Housesitter home

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I have been in that home and it is lovely. The traditional design with rooms rather than being open plan is nice. Sometimes I yearn for a few walls.

• jennybog
    9 years ago

Wondering how the building process is going?I LOVE this house and would love some info.Estimate price to build?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SLOW is how it's going. They didn't get started till maybe the third week in Feb and it's been raining ever since! No one around here has ever seen so much rain. Also, they're doing as much of the work as they can (along with my husband). I don't how all this is going to pan out. They are going all over the state looking for OLD things like doors, clawfoot bathtubs, wood, door knobs. They found an old OLD refrigerator that they're going to take the door off of an make into a pot rack :o I don't even know what to say so I mostly say nothing at all. She wanted an OLD house but finally saw all the potential issues with that idea so they're building a new house with OLD material. She doesn't want new that looks old, she wants old! Pier and beam homes are very rare here in Texas. Every framer or concrete man they've shown the plans to have tried to talk them into pouring a slab. It costs quite a bit more to do pier and beam too. They couldn't be talked out of it. It should be an interesting year.

• jennybog
    9 years ago

Please keep me updated I would Love to hear how it goes.I am considering building this cottage.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

That cottage is so very cozy, even though it has a decent number of square feet. I'm jealous!

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Such a pretty house! The separate structure for her commercial kitchen is wonderful. She can use the upstairs as her office and for holding client meetings.

The house and lot look like a wonderful place for the kids to grow up.

deeinohio thank you for posting the link to the movie house! I remember that movie and how much I liked the house. I remember Steve Martin's architect character talking about turning negative space into positive space; that stuck with me because if you can pull it off it makes so much sense.