hzdeleted_459360

And It's Up... The tree is done!

User
10 years ago

One big thing off the list!

Comments (25)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I wish you could do mine. It looks like you've been working on it for a long time.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's actually the best part. I was planning to decorate all week with some helpers but someone else in our office is out. My mother came down to help Handy Guy and tonight we came home to homemade soup, sandwiches and chocolate pecan pie, new 30" wreaths on all the front windows, and the tree up with all the ornaments unpacked and waiting for me. I got to swoop in and do the best part!

We cleared out the small trees in the circle in the front drive and are planting a 7ft spruce tomorrow that I hope will grow to about 17 feet. I'm excited to finally have something to put outside lights on.

Three more days of decorating, then it's time to get ready to leave for Thanksgiving. Who decided to put these holidays so close together??

• User
    10 years ago

It looks very nice Kswl! I'm getting excited to put mine up.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Wow - beautiful. What a great Mom.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, my mom is pretty great. She is almost 80 and is happy to drive an hour to stay overnight with us. She couldn't help with DD's move last weekend because she had a movie, a concert, her supper club and bridge. And she doesn't live in a retirement community, those things are not planned for her, she does all the planning. It's almost daunting :-)

• amykath
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! And from what I can see of your room it is gorgeous! I want to see more!!!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Beautiful tree. Maybe it will inspire me to bring my boxes down from the attic. I can't decorate yet since we're having Thanksgiving here. It's not a big group- either 7 or 9 (I haven't heard from 2) but there will be 4 dogs - mine plus 3 guests - so prudence requires I wait until they're gone. Yes please post more photos when you can.

Last year there was a holiday photo thread - I hope someone starts one again this year.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

gorgeous !!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

looks beautiful! please tell the story about the arrow (i'm assuming there's a story...!)

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I'm loving that tree....
    So beautiful...

Sometimes I get lazy and only do a little decorating; but this year I want to pay more attention to each room - adding something special.

Over the years, I've grown to prefer subtle and not too overdone - but for some reason, that's harder than pulling out all the stops.

We just purchased a new artificial tree and it's up and waiting to be decorated.

How tall is your tree?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! Busy, the tree topper is a gift from a friend in St. Louis. For years I looked for just the right thing for our tree and could never find it. She bought this at a craft fair--- it is hand painted, a Santa pulling a sleigh. He is standing on the arrow and his walking stick is perpendicular to the arrow, making it a little like a weathervane in shape. It is meant to hang on a wall or door, but we have a fastener now on the back that secures it to the tree top, as it is heavy. We always point the arrow north The tree is a 9.5 ft slimline, no name brand on sale two years ago at Costco for $300. Handy Guy found it when he was out doing shopping for himself, bought it, and brought it down. Great deal! The ceiling in that room is really high, about 16 ft., but anything taller would have to be a lot wider at the bottom if we are to preserve the "illusion of real," lol!

• User
    10 years ago

Is your Mom available for a little longer road trip ? :) I bet she knows where my house is too ! Lovely tree . c

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I shall add my "beautiful!" to the list.

ML

• teacats
    10 years ago

Wow!! Gorgeous tree!! :)

And I adore the tree topper -- wonderful! :)

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I LOVE your tree!!! Can I borrow your Mom?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

kswl, this one's for you! LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas too soon?

• sas95
    10 years ago

That really looks pretty!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Beautiful tree!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Your mom sounds awesome! I want to know her diet and workout routine!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She is mostly vegetarian, marti, she eats very little meat, and either walks or does yoga most every day. She reads a LOT---a few hours a day--- and travels a good bit with us and other relatives and friends. Definitely an inspiration!

Lol, SueB!! It's too true... but when I realized that Thanksgiving is "late" this year, and there are only three weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we have parties coming up and are going away for Thanksgiving.... well..I booked Handy Guy when I could :-)

We also re-landscaped our front yard last week, still waiting for the grass paths on both sides. Nothing like a holiday to spur on the home projects, right?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Nice job! I'm another who would like to book a visit from your mother and from HandyGuy...LOL!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

It looks wonderful!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

thx- what a nice story... very cute that you make sure it's facing north!!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beautiful!