Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhapsdy

My craigslist chairs - finally slipcovered! :)

rhapsdy
15 years ago

I don't know if anyone remembers these chairs from when I posted them previously. I got them off of craigslist for $10 each!

They needed some slipcovers bad. They were in great condition otherwise and sturdy chairs, nice size, great lines - just ugly. LOL So I bought some Matelasse Bed Spreads to make slipcovers out of (another poster on here showed her chairs and I fell in love this idea). My aunt made the slipcovers for me since we are working on renovating the house we just bought. She did an awesome job and I LOVE them. They need to be steamed cause they are wrinkled right now but they are so comfy and look so good in the house! :) Here is a picture of one finished. Just threw it together tonight to take a picture - when both of them are in a finished room all set up I'll take more pictures to share! :D

Comments (35)

• mcps
    15 years ago

Those look great! Good eye on spotting the potential in those chairs!

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

I just realized in my picture that I didn't pull the slipcover really straight on the cushions. LOL Oh well. LOL Thats what I get for being so excited to take a picture to show y'all! :)

Did I mention I love craigslist? LOL :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

What a great job! That looks absolutely professional. I'm so jealous of people who can sew like that. You've got yourself a great set of chairs for a song (not counting the labor of course!).

Ingrid

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

haha don't worry! My aunt offered to sew the slipcovers as long as she didn't have to help us paint the rooms in the house we just bought! LOL This was her contribution to our new home - and I'm so excited about them. :) I'm jealous of her sewing skills as well....all I can sew is a straight line. :)

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Really nice! Your aunt did a wonderful job.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Really nice.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Tell your aunt that she did a spectacular job. I love them.

• Kimberlyinva
    15 years ago

May I borrow your Aunt? :) The chairs are absolutely beautiful! Can you share what kind of fabric she used?

KAT

• zipdee
    15 years ago

They look fantastic! Your Aunt did an awesome job with the slipcovers.

• namabafo
    15 years ago

She did a great job!

But, I need to go OT and ask: what is your wall color?? That is beautiful!

• msrose
    15 years ago

They turned out great! I hope your not getting ready to paint the room the chair is in. I'm not a "blue" person, but that's a beautiful color and I love the dark floors. What color paint is that?

Laurie

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Your aunt did a great job! I *still* haven't sewn my slipcovers (bought the fabric this past summer) - I started but it was a lot harder than I thought it would be so I haven't been too eager to jump back into it. What a wonderful gift to you. They are beautiful.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

What a transformation! They look great and you're so lucky to have a relative who can sew something like that up for you. She did a beautiful job. How lucky we are, also, to have such great ideas and inspiration around here to draw from. Loved dlm's matelasse chair too!

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! The color is Ralph Lauren's "Celery". The name doesn't match the color and the room is a bit more greeney/blue than my pictures above show. It really depends on what light you see the room in! I love the color. :)

Squirrel - you are so right - there is so much inspiration on this board and it rocks! dlm's chairs - vinyl plank floors which inspired us to get our dark walnut one shown in the pictures above - and the list just goes on and on! This place is awesome! :) I can't wait until we have some actual rooms in the house done (or even with furniture in it) so I can share what we have done and what our inspiration was! :D

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Great job. Very pretty.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Your aunt did an amazing job. I loved this idea of using matelasse since I first heard about it from dlm. Matelasse is so very soft and comfortable. I like that you chose to expose the legs instead of the skirt in the previous pic. Please show pics when they are all done and in your room.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Brillant -- a completely wonderful transformation!

And a great contribution for your home -- slipcovers made with love!

Jan

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

great eye. I had my doubts when you first posted them. They look so top of the line now! not bad for 10 bucks!
    Your aunt did a great job too. I am thinking of adventuring into slipcovering my sofa. This makes me want to do it.
    How many matelesse coverlets did it take to do a chair? thanks

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think everyone I showed the chairs to previously had doubts; however I had a vision! I knew it would work out! Thankfully I have family members that can sew. :)

To cover the two chairs I used two king covers and one queen. It would have taken less fabric except there is a pattern on this one that only goes one direction. Also, I wanted the pattern centered on the cushions in certain places. My aunt also made all of the cording from the covers so that it all matches.

If there had been no pattern with a specific direction (or I didn't care if it went the same direction so much) it would have easily been done with one king cover each with some left over fabric.

If you have the ability to make your own slipcover - I say do it! You end up with something custom, and usually at a much higher quality than you could purchase off of the shelves.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

rhapsdy the chairs look great! We're now slipcover twins ;-) Isn't that just the best fabric to use for slipcovers? Your aunt could make a chunk-o-change if she wanted to go into business - it's tough finding people to do that well.

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hahahah Dlm! Slipcover twins - I love it! LOL

The fabric rocks. It has just enough give that it's tight on the chair, yet looks crisp and fresh. :)

Actually - she does have a business. :) It's called Mostly Scenery - she mostly focuses on custom scenery and costumes, but has done slipcovers and other things such as drapes and pillows. If you want her website I'll post it below. I don't know if that's ok or not, but since you mentioned it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mostly Scenery

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

oh yes -- what is your paint color! We must always know these details : )

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel - As mentioned above it's Ralph Lauren 'Celery' - i LOVE it and used it in two other rooms in the house too. LOL My office and the master bath. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ralph Lauren Paint Colors

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

wowzers!!!!
    what talent she has!!!
    I guess she would have to have the chair in her possession to actually make the slipcovers? LOL
    she couldn't do it long distance hee hee??!!

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I honestly don't know about long distance thing! You could always contact her to find out! :)

She does have awesome talent and I'm very blessed to have some really talented family members that don't mind sharing! :)

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

They look amazing! I love older club chairs b/c they aren't so honking big.

Your aunt did a great job. I am having some made & the preparation looks so tedious to me (especially since I get thread a needle!)

Smiles:)

Off to check out her website.....

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Holy cow! Those chairs turned out awesome! You need to give that aunt a big kiss and show her all the accolades she's getting on this forum. You are incredibly blessed to have such a sweet woman in your life; I really enjoyed her page. :)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

What a clever idea and the chairs are so comfy cottagy looking.

I have a Matelasse Bed Spread that is just sitting in the linen closet. I'll have to come up with a chair I can recover.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

They look great! good job, you should be proud.
    Joann

• jlsch
    15 years ago

Wow those are fabulous! I looked at your aunt's website but couldn't find where she is located. Am I just not seeing it and are you willing to share what city she lives in?

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohh I'll have to tell her to add that information to her site! She's in Baton Rouge, LA. :) She does a lot of stuff through online and mail (her scenery and backgrounds and such) so maybe that's why it's not on her site. :) whoops!

Thanks again guys! I'm so excited about them. In total the chairs ended up costing me - with material and other misc supplies and the cost for the chairs - about $125! Not to shabby for such a deal! :)

• kimberlyrkb
    15 years ago

The chair looks very nice! I'm interested in this idea of using a mstelasse bedspread as upholstery fabric. I have a slipper chair to recover for our bedroom and this might be just the ticket. Where did you find good prices on your matelasse, if you don't mind my asking? Everywhere I've looked they're pretty pricey.

Thanks,
    Kim

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I've got several matelasse coverlets that I got on clearance from Marshalls/TJMaxx for under $20 each, and I bought them to make slipcovers. I just haven't done the deed. Your chairs look beautiful and your aunt did a really, really, nice job. I wish I had enough confidence in my ability to start cutting. Those matelasse coverlets are always on clearance end of summer.

Red

• kimberlyrkb
    15 years ago

Thanks, Red, for the tip on Marshalls and TJ Maxx!! I'll check them out this week. I've been looking at all the usual suspects, but prices are way higher than I'd like to pay.

• redroze
    15 years ago

It looks fantastic!!!