Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

New lamps or new shade?

I just ordered a new couch and two new chairs for our formal living room. Currently, I have two Stiffel lamps in the room that are nearing 20 years old. They were not cheap and I do still think they are attractive.

My dilemma is do I buy new lamps or just replace the shades for the existing? I have looked on-line and similar shades will cost nearly $50 each (shocked at the price of new lamp shades).

My other problem is one of the lamps finish seems to have "crazed" -- it has been like this for years. Since I don't know how to post two pictures, I will post that problem in a different thread.

Comments (14)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I vote you keep the lamps.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Since you still like the lamp bases, keep them. However the glass table and shades do make them look terribly dated. Rather than a pyramid or fluted shade, try a barrel shade -they are making a comeback. You may want to try a nubby or textured fabric shade in a beige or tan color.

Even though the table is dated I still like the knotted wrought iron look, maybe because I have always loved Giacometti, the inspiration for this style. It's the glass top that dates it, but that can also be updated with a wood or stone top. Go to a kitchen counter outlet or re-use center to look for discount/remnant marble tops using the glass as a template. There are many folks who can cut the stone to size for you and polish the edges.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 2:05

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like the bases. It may be the lacquer on the one base that has deteriorated. Be prepared to possibly pay a lot for decent appropriate shades. I learned in design school that with many lamps the price is mostly in the shade. I had a client with who needed three shades for rather large lamps and the total for the most basic shape was $575 about 7-8 years ago. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy new lamps than it is to get the right shades for old ones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put this shade on themâ¦gorgeous!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just be sure to take one of the lamps with you when you shop for a shade. That is the only way to be sure to get the right size. If you live anywhere near DC, The Lamplighter shop on King Street in Alexandria is the place to go.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And these are pricey but they are really stunning shades, in this case, black silk-string shade

• teacats
    9 years ago

Try checking shops like Target; Homegoods; T.J. Maxx -- I often see wonderful lampshades there ....

And yes!!! A BIG vote to take a lamp with you OR measure the current shade -- and use those measurements ....

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Don't think simply putting a drum shade on that lamp will work.

That lamp might be more appropriate for a bedroom setting. Seems a bit small in scale for a living room, unless it is just an accent lamp on a buffet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Target has some very nice lamps to select from on line with free shipping at this time of year.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I would re-purpose the lamp that is not crazed and put it in another part of the room with a new shade. I like the glass and iron tables, but I don't think that the brass goes with the iron (not right next to it).

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to wait until Jan when my new couch/chairs arrive to decide what to do about the lamps.

Lilylore -- my DH loves the idea of replacing the glass on the end tables and sofa table with wood. They are Ethan Allen tables, 20 years old, but in excellent condition. Sounds like a great project for him!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I love brass but not the shape of those lamps so unless you LOVE the shape, get new lamps. (forget about how much you paid for them, and, that they are Stiffel, all irrelevant)

Life is too short to live with something you don't love.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Beautiful lamps...definitely just go for updated shades. Bring one with you when you go shade shopping as you really want to see it on the lamp before you buy it. A good lamp shade store will also have harps of different heights, extenders and finials so that you can get the shade to look just right on the lamp.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Also keep in mind how much light you need from the lamps, as dark shades typically won't allow as much light to pass through the fabric so you don't get the glow from the shade you'd find with a lighter, translucent material.

Pretty lamps! I wouldn't even worry about the crazing.