Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

8-Way Hand Tie - My Upholstery Project Continues!

Laurie
10 years ago

The re-upholstery of this goose neck arm chair had been stalled for a month or two. I had never replaced webbing or tied springs and was very afraid to tackle this.

After reading & re-reading, watching videos & re-watching...many , many, times, I finally did it!

Next, will be the burlap, edge roll, foam, Dacron, muslin, & fabric : )

Underside of chair after stitching the base of each spring

The base of each spring was stitched in 4 places. If you look carefully, you can see the stitches.

8 - Way hand tie finished!

Comments (14)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

VERY impressive! I am terrified to try something like this . . .you've proven the only way to do it is to study, study, study, and go for it!

That is amazing. You can conquer anything!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Fantastic!

This Internet thing is so dangerous. I might have to try that, just today I was looking at some great chairs at the ReStore wishing I was able to reupholster them. Very inspiring!

But first I have to finish learning to tile my fireplace, lol! True story, I took a break from the FP project to try my hand at stenciling after seeing it here and many online tutorials.

It's so nice to have people here that understand!

• equest17
    10 years ago

Great job! I've done that same task on an empire sofa before, except I don't think I accomplished quite as nice a dome shape as you did. It's amazing to me how well the old springs hold up; it's only ever the webbing and string that need to be replaced, rarely a spring itself. Are you reusing a horsehair edge roll or making a new one?

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I love your tenacity even though you were nervous about it. Looking great so far. Keep going.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

anele - Thank you : ) I was happy to finally break through my fear and go for it!

williamsem - So true...there are so many great videos out there to learn all kinds of things : )

equest17 - An empire sofa...wow...that would be a LOT more springs than I did! My fingers are really sore after just doing this chair, today.

Yes, the old springs were in good shape : )
    I purchased edge roll at a local shop at the same time I was getting the nails & twine for this project. It's called finger roll, about 1/2" diameter, & not horse hair. I did not have the old edge roll with me to compare sizes (diameter). I hope I got the right size because I don't want to make another trip to the store : /
    I believe I saved a small piece of the old edge roll...I'll check and see if the old roll was horsehair.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Awsome! I'm hesitant about tackling something like that, too, but love reupholstering the easier pieces. I have a club chair waiting for the right fabric and you have me looking forward to getting it done!

I can't wait to see the end product :)

• theclose
    10 years ago

That is more than impressive!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

This is so inspiring. Thanks for posting this.

Do you have recommendation on which videos to watch? Which books to read?

• maddielee
    10 years ago

You ARE GOOD!!!

ML

• Laurie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yayagal - Thanks. I'm looking forward to the next steps which are less daunting!

alex9179 - I hope you post your club chair. I am glad this inspires you towards getting it done : )
    Finding the right fabric takes time.

mamorella - Thanks : ) I will post the finished product, but...
    it may take several weeks.....a wedding, 2 birthdays, & the Holidays.

mlweaving - I like the book Singer Upholstery Basics. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabric Store & I've seen it online.

I watched several different videos and the one that helped me the most was Kevin Kennedy's (linked below). He uses 12 oz. tacks in his video. My local upholstery supply store did not sell tacks & suggested I use their No Sag Nails. The nails worked well.

There are some helpful pictures here
    http://www.designsponge.com/2011/08/upholstery-basics-constructing-coil-seats-part-i.html

equest17 - I compared the old & new edge rolls this morning & took a picture. The old one is covered in some type of burlap and the filling looks like some sort of paper or straw type fiber.
    This chair has been reupholstered 2-3 times before. Maybe, it had horsehair edge roll at one time. I know I removed horsehair on one of the seat layers.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Do An 8 Way Hand Tie

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

All I can say is, wow you are amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would never have the guts to attempt this....kudos to you! Be sure to post a pic when it's done.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Wow! That's so impressive!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That looks so professional. I wouldn't have the guts either. Or if I did, I think I'd start, get frustrated, and never finish. Kudos for you for sticking with it and finding what you need to learn how to do it.