Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsgurleygirl

I am stuck-trying to figure out a tricky small morning room

catsgurleygirl
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for reading this-my husband and I are buying a house and I am having trouble figuring out how to fix this room. The space is small and I am worried about the tv on the mantle being too high too look up to in relation to how close the sofa has to be. I have considered putting the tv on the wall with the 3 pictures, but there is a doorway opposite that area and I am afraid it will be awkward with the back of a sofa there. I have also considered putting the tv in the corner to the left of the mantle, and I am afraid that too will be awkward and look odd. I hate putting things in front of windows. Do you all think it looks bad to do that? Anyway, I just don't know what to do, we entertain a lot and I want the space to be comfortable for at least 4-5 people. I would welcome your suggestions or ideas. I am going to try to include two pictures, the first is the stretched realtor photos, to give you the view of the room, the second to show how it really is. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I guess I can upload one photo per post? Here is the space unedited, so you can see it is tighter than it looks, the couch really cannot be moved back further because it will obstruct the bar area and walking behind the sofa-I think it would look odd:

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay last one so you can get the idea of the whole space, again this is the "enhanced" realtor picture:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It's so pretty. I love the to-the-floor windows, but it does make furniture placement tough.

Have you tried watching TV in that position? Is it tough on the neck? It seems the only other choice is catty corner where the 2 windows are, on a stand?

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you mtnrdredux, you know, we have not sat there (oddly enough). Honestly, I am thinking we are just going to have to deal with it over the fireplace and just make the best of it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you want to be able to see the TV from the kitchen, then over the fp is the best location for it. And as it is a smaller space without a lot of walls, having the single focal point is probably best.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

This is not your furniture or decorating, I presume, since these are realtor photos.
    I would suggest two settees or loveseats, placed opposite each other. When you're alone you can each occupy a seat and stretch out with back up against the end to see TV, but you still have seating for 4 people. By adding a couple of small chairs somewhere that you can pull into the space you give yourself flexibility for groups for football Saturdays.
    This is too formal, but it's the idea.

[Transitional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2112) by Denver Kitchen & Bath Designers Exquisite Kitchen Design

• tergar
    10 years ago

I would put the tv to the right of the door, couch on the opposite wall where the pictures are and if you have a chair put it in from of the windows on left side of fireplace.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

You didn't say if this is your furniture. If not, what do you have or will have for the room?

I agree about getting rid of the valences. They take away from those wonderful transom doors. And the fireplace white feels too white for me. But there are better color people here to guide you on this one. Plus you didn't ask about this.

Like what Marji has shown. This could be done with yours. But I really like the FP and not fond of a TV over them.

Looking at the TV alcove behind it, would there be any way to enlarge the area? Keep the wood details and make it large enough to move the TV inside along with any wireless components. I keep going back to look at that neat little area which was probably built for the bulky TVs.

If your personal TV is the same size and you don't want to enlarge the opening, add a 2X4 in the center and get a TV mount with adjustments for tilting. Your fireplace is very similar to mine. Just looked above mine out of curiosity and it could work. I have a room with a viewing area of 18X16, counting the location of furniture, not the actual room. TV is 60", at viewing height, a comfortable arrangement.

The idea of using the wall with pictures appeals to me. Is viewing from the kitchen/dining a want? What does the one door go to or from? You could use some painters tape and lay out TV on wall and furniture on floor. Boxes work too. This will give you some idea of walkways and viewing, plus moving around "play" furniture won't break your back. TVs today allow viewing at an angle, there isn't any distortion from side to side on mine. If you were to use a furniture piece to set the TV on, turntables or even some TVs can be rotated.

Will be interested to see what you do. The areas and details of the rooms are great. Enjoy making this your home.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

so this might be a silly question, but does this room HAVE to be used for tv? is there another room that could be your tv room? use this one for lounging/entertaining close to the kitchen, but watch tv somewhere else?

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the reply's and ideas. Will reply in detail later, couple things people have mentioned, the furniture is not mine, so it will be going. I really would like for the room to have a tv, it just seems natural and I think my husband and I will enjoying having something in there to watch while we cook. I totally agree about the transoms, the backyard is very private and I think it will be so nice to have the extra light. I am actually wondering about a seconctional for that area. Does that seem obstuse? Also, we would get a large tv for the area, not a small one to fit in the opening-that would just be too small. Maybe tilting the tv would make it more natural for viewing? The formal living room will also have a tv, and is a "problem room", but thats another post (that will be coming :-). The doorway that you can see part of in the first picture goes into a small section that goes up the back stairwell, that has double doors (the regular doors cut into two, so its a regular door size-don't know what they are called), that open into the formal living room. Great idea about tape and boxes. Thanks everyone!!! Here is a pic that shows that doorway better:

• jlj48
    10 years ago

A sectional for the room was my initial thought when I first saw your pictures.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

You asked if anyone had put a TV in front of windows. We have a long narrow room and put our TV in front of a double window. Doing that, cuts out a lot of light into the room. We have since moved it to a solid wall and now have a light, airy room again. Since you have lots of windows, maybe you could put your TV in front of the windows.....depends on the comfort of viewing the TV on top of the fireplace.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Do you want to be able to see the tv from the table, too? If so, can you with the current setup? (Sometimes we are eating a little later and don't want to miss DWTS!)

Do you think you're more likely to be watching shows in the living room? Our tv is in there, too. We also have a small one in the kitchen for the morning news (and DWTS).

Perhaps you could move the tv around the room wherever you like (oh, wait, that was our tv with rabbit ears, and this is not an ad for u-verse) But regardless, I just think a TV over the fireplace is too high there, like sitting in the front row of the movie theater.

Anyway, I really like setups like in the link, especially if the chair swivel and rock. That can help alleviate the neckache of looking up. Might this work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Four chairs and a coffee table

• rosie
    10 years ago

What a nice room. I'm wondering, though, what makes this a morning room for you? Everyone's different. Maybe you hate waking up too fast and love that the sunrise is on the other side of the house? :) If you like morning sun streaming in any of those windows, though, you won't want to either block it or stare into it to watch TV, right?

A TV over the mantle might be difficult to look at with bright light coming in the windows, and being a morning person I'd refuse to darken a morning room. Evening, yes.

I personally couldn't stand a TV standing awkwardly in a corner; I'd change everything else first.

That leaves, for me, where the 3 pictures are. I'd just buy my furniture to work with that location is all. The current location for a sofa, BTW, could be fine for us, just swing those sockies up and relax back into the arm; back in the days, one or other of the kids who wasn't playing on the floor would be relaxing back into me. I might do without a sofa altogether, though. Wouldn't want it so comfortable the evening room ended up neglected.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Love the room. A statement was made that you and your husband like to watch TV while you are cooking. Is there any way to put a small TV in the kitchen versus putting a TV in the morning room?

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I think you might like to have the TV on a stand between the window and the doorway, and have a sectional and a chair and ottoman.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

15 years ago I had a sectional which at that time was 10 years old. To this day I wish it were still with me. But the reason for that is I could sprawl all over it and take the best naps ever. As for company use, rarely would there be more than 2 or 3 people using it. Someone in the middle of one of the L's gets stuck without comfort...similar to being on a plane. They just don't have the comfort space as two couches would. If you have the room, plus a couple of chairs it would work. Otherwise the amount of room and wasted space for use is something to consider.

Since your TV is large, my go to would be the wall with pics. Find a wall unit that allows you to rotate, etc. Also like the suggestions of a smaller one in the kitchen or stream on a laptop. There are many new TV options for grabbing what is active to watch on other screen media. Might be a fun activity to dig into what is available for watching TV anywhere.

My son travels all over the US. I bought an inexpensive box for viewing anywhere, no additional monthly charges. My home system is set to record at free will. He can go on the net and watch anything regardless of where he is located and all is recorded at this end. You can also mirror what is being shown on the main TV. These darn things have gotten very smart. I'm waiting for a roll up TV like a yoga mat....and bet this will happen when we least expect it.

• peegee
    10 years ago

The tv location over the fp seems perfect to me as long as the viewing angle is comfy. Love how you can see it so clearly from the kitchen; small kitchen tvs are nice but imho not nearly as enjoyable as the bigger screen. What a transformation!!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

This is my old living area before new carpet. I received some good advice here as my room was not easy; on top of that I had differing ceiling heights. I would try for something like this but switch the sofa and chair to opposite walls. In my picture pretend the walls are reversed and the angled chair is on the other side. In my setup there was also a doorway near/behind chair.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like Juliekc's idea of a TV on a stand between the one window and door and a sectional in the opposite wall where the pictures are. Pull it out from the wall a bit and maybe you won't lose as much light? That or over the mantle are your best bets.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Great house! So pretty.

Is the TV sitting on a base?

Take it off the base and have it mounted so that it can be tilted forward.

That will help immensely.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Let's see:

a)Raise the height of the curtain rods just a few inches (but keep the top window molding hidden under the valance) Change to a darker woven valance or blind ... This move will allow the windows to appear taller and larger -- especially when you add the large TV ....

b)Remove the moldings around the current TV opening -- and add an artwork over the fireplace.

c)Place your larger TV on a white-painted corner TV stand in left-hand corner by the fireplace ....(check out the one at Ballard Designs website)

d)Add a clean-lined smaller sectional with an ottoman (with storage if possible) Add a separate comfy armchair

e)Create a family photo gallery on the far left-hand wall ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- smaller sectional

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Is there any way you could remold the top of the fireplace so it did not come up so high? It would make life much easier.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Terrylynn, that is what is bothering me (just a bit though). Someone has given time in creating a very detailed area behind the TV shown and I keep going there. If you look closely there are rosettes in the corner trim of a built in alcove. Your idea is perfect. Removing the trim and creating a clean, smaller alcove, one just big enough to hold wireless devices. There are probably outlets in the alcove and they converted a wood burning to gas FP to create it. Raising the TV a few inches would balance the overall look.

The TV over the FP in your previous room works because there is a clean slate behind it. I don't think the FP needs to be shorter. And I would go with a sectional too...because mine was so comfy to watch TV. Or cuddle up with another.

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I am so impressed with you all. Thank you so much for the thoughts, suggestions and great ideas. Terrilynn, that is a great idea about lowering the mantle. I may be looking into that. Feeling really torn about the sectional still, I just don't want to room to feel overcrowded or like a maze. I think with the right sectional it would work though. I have so many ideas to sort through. :-) Oh and just for reference, here is the space between the back of where the sofa and the bar counter are so you can see why I am worried about the walkways and space-however, I would not be putting bar stools there because I have space on the other side for 4 stools (I am guessing those tiles are 12 inches):

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

I posted on your other room too. Just remember that flat screens are very easy to mount on telescoping swing arms - even large tvs. So regardless of which wall or above mantle, make sure it is able to tilt and/or turn. In our current house, we have two flat screens on extendable swing arms. In our living room, we put a crate and barrel black low TV cabinet underneath our wall mounted. The tv was mounted on the arm low-- so it looks as if cabinet and tv are all one unit. But we can pull the TV way out and turn it almost 90 degrees when needed for optimal viewing.

Here is a link that might be useful: low tv cabinet

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

To me itâÂÂs too crowded for a sofa or sectional so close to the snack bar. If you open the room up it would allow you more seating at the bar for entertaining. Down the road you may even want to lower that high counter section to all counter height. You will be amazed at how just doing that makes the room look so much bigger. If you add small cushioned benches near the back windows they can double as extra seating or one could be pulled over for an ottoman for the chair. It looks like a door to the outside on the back right? If so the benches depth would need attention.

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I found this "down and out" mount and think it may solve my woes. I will have to deal with or patch the hole in the wall behind the tv-but I may leave a smaller opening for components and such. The house was built in 2000 and I just think that was before people started getting super large tv's, so I won't feel too bad about filling it up (having a carpenter re wall it and patch and paint, I can't see such a small space holding a tv again. Anyway here it is, it just swings up and down and out (it will clear fireplace mantles), you can also get it with a pivot head to angle it for viewing preference. It has great reviews, so I am kind of hopeful it can solve the tv issue. Oh and I would probably paint the wall bracket to match the wall so it blended in better.

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I found this "down and out" mount and think it may solve my woes. I will have to deal with or patch the hole in the wall behind the tv-but I may leave a smaller opening for components and such. The house was built in 2000 and I just think that was before people started getting super large tv's, so I won't feel too bad about filling it up (having a carpenter re wall it and patch and paint, I can't see such a small space holding a tv again. Anyway here it is, it just swings up and down and out (it will clear fireplace mantles), you can also get it with a pivot head to angle it for viewing preference. It has great reviews, so I am kind of hopeful it can solve the tv issue. Oh and I would probably paint the wall bracket to match the wall so it blended in better.

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!