Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddiemom6

Gel stain?

maddiemom6
15 years ago

Hi all,

I have a dinningroom table that is large and sturdy and well...oak. I am not an oak girl but as I look at just the shape of the table I don't hate that to much at all so I was thinking that I might go with a very deep almost black gel stain.. anybody ever done this?

Of course I could paint it, I did that to the hutch ( see link) and love it to bits.. But with all of our kids and the fact that we eat in the formal every night I thought that maybe stain would hold up better than paint..

No matter what i do I am getting rid of the 6 side chairs and going with two long benches.. then I will either paint or stain the king and queen chairs.. I would like to replace them but husband finds them quite comfy and they are very sturdy so I am going to try to keep them..

Thoughts? Advice on gel stain?

Maddiemom6

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll to the bottom for my dinning room hutch

Comments (8)

• User
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not much help on your question, but agree that a stain would hold up better than paint. But I wanted to tell you that I LOVE the lampshade you made!

• dancingqueengw
    15 years ago

Maddiemom if you go over to the woodworking forum they can give you great explanations. Based upon that advice I used a wiping stain when I redid all my woodwork. Perfect. Great control. I also used a wiping varnish. I did a table with regular stain in the past and if I had known about this wiping stuff I would have gone with it. I may redo that table after all since it's been several years and I will use the wiping stain.

Good luck!

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

Maddie, I am cutting/pasting/editing my gel stain info for doing kitchen cabinets. Your job will much be easier!!! I'd recommend you try just the Java coats alone. Be sure to put a number of Clear coats on for durability.

SHOPPING LIST:
    > -mineral spirits to clean the years of gunk off the table
    > -miracle cloths (optional)
    > -fine sandpaper
    > -box-o-disposable gloves from walgreens or the like
    > -old socks or rags for wiping on coats
    > -disposable small plastic bowls or plates, and plastic spoons or forks for
    > stirring/dipping (optional)
    > -General Finishes Java gel stain (poly based)
    > -General Finishes clear top coat (poly based)
    > -old sheets or plastic sheeting or newspaper
    > > Rockler woodworking stores are a good place to find the General Finish
    > products. Or some larger hardware stores. Quart of each was more than
    > enough for my 60 doors and drawer fronts and goes for $12-14 at Rockler.
    > There are smaller sizes if your project is small.
    > >
    > SETUP AND PLANNING:
    > You will need a place to work and leave wet doors to dry overnight - I set
    > up 2 spaces, garage for sanding/cleaning and basement for
    > staining/sealing.
    > Use newpaper or plastic to protect the surface and floor. Figure out how
    > you
    > will prop doors to dry.
    > Plan blocks of 20-30-minutes for sanding/cleaning bundles of, say, 6
    > doors at a time. Then just 10 minute sessions to wipe on coats. The coats
    > will need to dry for about 24 hours, so figure that each section of the
    > kitchen will be doorless for 4 or 5 days. Divide the job up into manageable chunks.
    > >
    > PREPARATION:
    > Take off doors and drawer fronts. Use screw drill bits on an electric drill if you don't have an electric srewdriver. Remove all the hardware. *Mark
    > alike things so you know what goes back where.*
    > Clean the doors thoroughly. Not with TSP but with something pretty strong
    > and scrub well. There's years of grease there.
    > Sand LIGHTLY, just a scuffing really. Just enough to break the finish and
    > give it some tooth, no more than a minute a door. A miracle cloth is good
    > for getting most of the dust off. Then wipe well with mineral spirits to
    > clean and get the last of the gunk off.
    > .
    > > STAINING:
    > In order, we're gonna put on:

> -General Finishes Java gel stain (couple coats)
    > -General Finishes Clear urethene gel topcoat in satin (couple coats)
    > > But first put on work clothes, tie up your hair and pop your phone into a baggie nearby (you know it will ring).
    > Glove up.
    > *First do a trial on the back of a door
    > Open and stir up the Java gel stain, then spoon some into a plastic bowl.
    > Close the tin so it doesn't get contaminated. Slide a sock over your hand,
    > grab a gob of Java and smear it on. Color is a rich dark blackish reddish brown. Wipe off the excess. Let it dry well- overnight is good.
    > Repeat with more Java gel. Wait for the second coat to
    > judge if the color is deep enough for you. I wanted a very deep dark
    > color,
    > like melted dark chocolate. So I went pretty heavy on these layers. *I did not sand between coats*.
    > > Repeat with clear gel top coats. This will give you the strength you need in a kitchen.
    > > Do the same process with the cabinet sides, face and toekick area. Might
    > need to divide that up also, and stagger the work: doors/cabinets/doors/
    > etc.
    > > NOTE: The cloth or socks used for the gels are very flammable! Collect and
    > store them in a bucket of water as you go and then dispose of them all properly.
    > >
    > FINISHING AND REASSEMBLY:
    > I suggest you put the doors back up after one clear coat, then you can check
    > everything over and darken an area with more Java if needed, followed by a
    > clear coat. When it all looks right, go over it all again with another
    > clear
    > gel coat. Or two. Install your hardware.
    > The feel of the finish should be wonderful, really smooth and satiny.
    > Color
    > deep and rich - way nicer than that faded, beat 80's oak color.
    > >
    > FINAL THOUGHTS:
    > Definitely experiment first with the back of a door or drawer front to be
    > sure it is the look you want. Front end patience is worth it.
    > > This is a pretty easy project to do. Hard to screw it up. The worst is the
    > prep - relative to that, smearing on the coats is cake. >(Add: I'm now (18 months later) seeing some wear near two pulls
    >on the most used cabinets. Will add color with Java if it bugs me.

Good luck!

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Java hu??.. ok I am willing to give it a go. Looks like I am going to have to order some since i can't find a local place. All things being even I would get rid of the table and I evn have the money to do so but for the life of me I can't find one I like!..

Maddie

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Celticmoon, Thank you so much for sending this information in to the list since I would like to stain my oak cabinets to be richer and to fix the worn out areas. I wish I could just change out my cabinets but my expenses are already too high for the new floors I need in my two foyers areas, kitchen and three rooms downstairs due to the floors being 18.5 years old and really showing it as well as some water damage I had from an air conditioner central unit dying on me.

I want a medium to dark cherry wood color gel stain if can find it.

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

Sidebar to Lynn,

Go for it. The darker you aim, the easier. Much harder to get a medium tone to come out even.

Mine have held up well. Going on 2 years now.

Email me if you have questions. Happy to help.

Madddiemom, good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: more pix - before, during, after albums

• Taralyn
    15 years ago

I can vouch for the results of gel stain on cabinets - I had my painter do the job, since I am working 12 hour days I would never have finished - he prefers Old Master Gel stains - took yellowed pickled finish cabinets, and used a Dark Walnut, that looks like brown cherry, with a satin varnish finish. My cabinets just increased in value by 10K. I plan to use the same technique as described here to do an unstained tv console myself, Only difference, is , we used a brush, and a soft cloth. Dipped brush in cloth, wiped the excess off the brush, then applied. Went over with a second cloth to smooth lines.

terry

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

celticmoon, you just increased your kitchen's value by approximately $10,000 in my opinion! Thanks for sharing the amazing transformation. I think you are right, I will have to go darker to cover the grain and make the gel work better at giving the look of a darker wood and not just being painted. I wonder if there is a dark mahogany I could try?

Thank you bigdtc for letting me know that your painter did your kitchen cabinets with a gel stain also in a darker color and you are so pleased. This is what I must do. Any pics?