Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Can silk/satin/chenille pillows go with RH Perennials fabric?

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Hi! We're in the process of picking out a sectional for our new home. One of the contenders is an RH sofa using Fog Perennials material. I had always envisioned that our sofa would have several nice textured pillows made of silk, satin and/or chenille and maybe faux fur. Would those still go with the Perennials look/feel given that it is more of a linen weave and I would say more casual? Do I need to stick with a microfiber suede for the main sofa - sort of like PBs everyday suede in Stone?

I really need more punch with the pillows. We're using the PB Scroll rug in Porcelain Blue and the room color is BM Bunny Grey, though it reads more light blue than gray (not sure if it is our lighting or the red paint we covered up). Our accent color on the back of the built ins will likely be BM Blue Rapids. We only have blinds on the windows

I was going for a rejuvenating, calm yet refreshing feel. Sort of like an ocean spa without being beachy. I wanted an understated sophistication but not so formal that we can't relax. We have 3 year olds so any fabric needs to be stain resistant or better yet, washable. RH suggests drycleaning but PB says you can wash theirs in the laundry.

Finding the right sized sectional and understand quality/value has been challenging.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

You might get way more responses if you post pics of the items you are considering...many people won't go to the trouble of going to RH website and finding what you're talking about. If you need help posting the pics, here are some directions. You can also put the pics on your computer then click on the "browse" after "Image file to upload (optional)" at the top of each new message when you open it to write one. But using that method, you can only post one pic per post. The directions below allow you to put all your pics together in one post.

Here is a link that might be useful: posting pics from the web

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea. Attached is the fabric. RH doesn't have something like an "Everyday Suede" that PB has. So while the overall quality of a sofa is a concern, the options for fabric are too. I think I can see a chenille or maybe faux suede with this fabric but wasn't sure about a silk or velvet or other materials.

Thank you

• Olychick
    10 years ago

That looks nice. "We have 3 year olds so any fabric needs to be stain resistant or better yet, washable." I have always washed my silk blouses, but am not sure I would want silk or satin pillows with 3 year olds. That does not seem to fit with the easy care you are requesting. I would think you could find beautiful pillows in either easy care/easy to hide wear and tear or inexpensive enough to replace if/when they become stained. Check at Pier One and World Market. Both have gorgeous pillows at reasonable prices.

Here is a link to "gray linen sofa" at Houzz. You will see all types of pillows shown. I think you could easily use whatever you want that truly would stand up to 3 year olds.

Here is a link that might be useful: [linen sofas[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/gray-linen-sofa-phbr0lbl-bl~l_79495)

This post was edited by olychick on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 2:04

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

If you go onto Houzz and type in linen+sectional+pillow you will get thousands of pictures to browse through.
    The "linen" RH fabric is actually an indoor-outdoor acrylic, which is akin to Sunbrella, so it's going to wear like iron and would be a good choice for wearability for a family. It's going to clean up really well, probably better then the micro-suede.
    Most home dec fabrics are labeled dry clean only as it protects the manufacturer as it's the safest alternative to cleaning. Most home dec fabrics will shrink if washed, and most lose their finishes which will cause them to look worn and wrinkled. In the case of the white canvas slipcovers the wrinkled look is desired, the shrinkage not so much. In the case of this acrylic "linen" I would think you'd want to dry clean it down the road if it needed it just to keep it looking crisp, although soap and water won't hurt it.

To the original question, I think you could add some silk dupioni pillows - they have a textural interest too, or some hand painted silk pillows, and a chenille throw and it'd look nice.

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Garrison Hullinger Interior Design Inc.

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! That's a great idea to search on houzz at the micro level. Thanks also for providing feedback to the question and for the insight into microsuede vs. the perennials.

You're right, some of the pillow materials I mentioned don't fall under easy to care for but I was thinking the pillows wouldn't get that messy and maybe they'd have zippers on them so I could take them off and clean them or really just replace them when they got yucky. I've seen some really inexpensive ones but might also pick out fabrics myself and have a friend sew them.

It's funny you mentioned the slip covers. I just sent and old one I had to the drycleaners to get ironed. I don't really like a wrinkled look and it had gotten thrown around when we had to take it off to use the sofa bed (and never put it back on.)

Great photo! It gives me hope :) Your comments are much appreciated