Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaysgrl99

Request for Sitting Rm Layout Ideas

Jackie Kennedy
9 years ago

Hello,

I'd like to request some suggestions for furniture placement in our Master Bedroom Sitting room. The picture is taken from the entry to the master suite. The step up leads to the 17x17 area where our bed will be. To the left of the sitting room is a French door that leads to a deck off the master, so I cannot block that door. I know there's no way to not block the step-up in some fashion so I'm fine with that. The room itself is approx. 9'Wx20'L. We plan to have a television along the wall. Thanks a bunch!

Comments (18)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put the TV on an articulating arm on one of the walls NEXT to the bed. Large dresser in that recessed wall next to the French door. Maybe a blanket chest under the double window?

Hard to say w/o seeing the rest of the room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

What wall did you want to put the TV on? And what function do you want the lower level to serve? Do you need to put dressers? Would you use a desk area? Do you want a love seat and easy chair to watch TV? Or do you watch TV from bed? Do you need a dressing area? A vanity space for make up? Do you want a reading nook?

Define the function you want the space to serve first, and then the layout will be easier.

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbix-great idea about the blanket chest under the window.
    AnnieDeighnaugh- IâÂÂd like to put the TV in that recessed part of the wall to the left as you walk in. Attached is a pic of the bedroom area. Also attached is a pic of the hallway that is immediately to the left as you walk thru the master suite entryway. IâÂÂd like to use this lower level space for both reading and watching TV with the access to the private deck. I donâÂÂt typically watch tv from the bed, so the distance isnâÂÂt an issue. I wonâÂÂt need dressers there as theyâÂÂll be in the closets. I donâÂÂt need a dressing area or vanity areaâ¦.I only wear Neutrogena lip gloss lol.

Thank you both very much. With the house being built..I'm trying to think ahead in terms of furniture placement so that a lot of things won't need to be moved after the movers are gone haha.

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic of the Hallway to bath and closets......sorry for the numerous posts, I have yet to set up a flickr or photobucket to do multiple pics.

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

view from bedroom platform

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Room for a lounge chair, side table and floor lamp.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

The chair looks very welcoming there.

If the OP doesn't watch TV from bed, where will she be? I suppose if the bed is to the right of the window on the far wall, a setee and ottoman could go at its foot.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can you clarify something? Do you want the area at the bottom of the steps to be a SITTING TV viewing area? Or do you intend to watch TV while in bed?

Assuming the headboard of the bed is going against the wall where the guy is painting, I would NOT put the TV in the recessed area but rather, again, an articulating wall-mounted arm on the wall to the right of the bed, next to the single window.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Will a settee or love seat fit under the window at the end of the space? Then put a swivel lounge chair opposite for a conversation area. The chair can swivel around to watch the TV, which should be mounted on the articulating arm that Tib suggested. TV can be in the recessed area over a console piece. You will still have room for something at the foot of the bed as Marcolo suggested. I would put the bed on the wall with the window so you can see the TV because you may find yourself watching from bed in the new set up.

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly27- love the pic. That helps me to visualize the space.

Marcolo- I agree the chair looks welcoming. That wall will be the first thing that is seen so I want a nice simple clean area with not much clutter. I figure a nice rectangular (or 2 square) area rugs will help it to pop and bring lines of definition. The master suite and master hall itself will have cognac hickory 5" handscraped floors. I will be in that sitting area or nearby in the bedroom space when using the tv. I usually only use it while putting away laundry or for watching/listening to the news/weather getting dressed in the mornings.

Tibbrix- yes I do want that area to be a tv viewing/sitting area. I rarely watch tv from bed, but as junco suggested I will position my bed for viewing the tv just in case either one of us is not feeling well, etc. I plan to install your great idea for the articulating arm so as to position the tv when in use.

We'll install a 40-46" tv as that will be large enough. My hubby doesn't believe a tv should be in a bedroom period. With that said, this lower area/sitting room is the only option for placement. However, I can only imagine him watching football in this sitting area sometimes :-).

Thank you all very much! This has truly been helpful.

This post was edited by jaysgrl99 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 14:16

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I see a chaise at an angle in that corner, with a floor lamp and small side table (round). However, sounds like you want to watch tv from chairs. What about putting a couple swivel chairs along the window side of your bed area (I'm assuming your bed will be against the inside wall) to view from there. Not sure if you have enough room in that drop down area for much furniture.

Another option is to hide the tv in a console that slides up (not sure if you've seen these or not - TV lift cabinet) and place in the bed area. That way - no tv around and use only if your not feeling well - I'd be in bed at that point! :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I imagined the chair in this position for quiet reading and not watching TV, so it doesn't matter where the TV is placed.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Perfect location for reading with the views from the windows and the breeze from the door.

I don't really think that front entry area is a good place for a TV. There isn't enough room, and you will quickly tire of having to walk around a love seat there.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

I agree there's not room for furniture at the front of the area--I was envisioning the loveseat where Beverly put the chair. But I do think a TV on an arm could be mounted in the recessed area to be pulled out for viewing from the bed, the corner, or the entry area.

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. I agree.....I did not plan to put furniture at the front of the sitting area as that would obstruct the path to the hall/bath/closets and the main bed area. It's an awkward narrow/long space, and because stairs run the length of it....there's just no way to not obstruct them in some capacity and we're fine with that. My main objective was the layout for the rear area near the windows and door. I plan to use the recessed area just as you stated junco. I will put a credenza and arm mounted TV.

I think I will have a chaise (for DH) and floor lamp and small round table in that area.....a nice area rug and will add a settee and ottoman at the foot of the bed if I face the bed that direction. Otherwise because there will only be a bed and nightstands in the upper area....I may create another small seating area that will give view to the TV.

Now....onto wall color *sigh*

• teacats
    9 years ago

Just wondering if one of those "pop-up" or lift TV chests would work at the end of the bed???

Then you could add a wonderful oversize artwork in that nook ..... and leave the floorspace clear ...

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teacats.....yes, I'm sure we could get something like that but my husband will fight me tooth and nail about it. ESPECIALLY once he sees the price of one. Also he would hate the proximity of it being so close to the bed. Thanks for the thought :-)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

jays, that spot is just SO awkward for a TV sitting area, esp. with a TV that big. I can't envision how you're going to pull it off.