Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Very frustrated with finding a lamp for the LR - help?

bac717
9 years ago

I am having a terrible time finding the right lamp (within my budget - I don't want to spend $300+) for the drum table in my LR. One of the biggest challenges is finding a lamp that is the right height. 24" - 25" is what I'm looking for. Anything taller just doesn't look right on the table which is 28" tall.

Here's a picture of the drum table. The lamp on the table in this pic is 28" tall.

And here's one style of lamp I've been searching for.

This lamp is no longer available at Pottery Barn. I have no idea how old this picture is.

I've wasted spent hours on all the lamp websites searching and am not coming up with anything that meets all my requirements: 1) 24" - 25" tall; 2) darker color; 3) a base that has some bulk; and 4) price tag under $300 - unless it's alsolutely PERFECT for the space and would really prefer under $200 :).

Does anyone have any other sources I could try? Or any other suggestions on another style of lamp for the table? Thanks so much.

Comments (36)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

That looks very casual for your traditional style. IIRC, you have four or five lamps in that area, and all are traditional. Could you post pics of all those that are definitely staying in the room?

I'll look around, but I am going to avoid gold!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point, may_flowers. I guess I should have said the lamp I posted is the SHAPE I'm currently looking for. Instead of wood, I'm thinking maybe something like bronze. Right now, there are 2 or 3 other lamps that will be staying in the room. It's getting late here, so I promise I will take pictures in the morning and post them then.

And I couldn't agree more -- no gold. That's why I think I need to go with a darker finish, so there is more contrast.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Horchow has all their lamps 30% off. I love this one:

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like that shape, but I just looked at the lamp on the Horchow website and it's only 22" tall.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Have you looked at home goods?

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

In my lamp search, I came across this in a little store and it was very pretty and might be an option. It is by Uttermost and runs about $125-150. Good luck!

This post was edited by rubyclaire on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 7:08

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Check out Overstock.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

This is 25" at birchlane

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I always love to see a blue and white lamp in a traditional space; it adds a little static into the space, and, with a beautiful rug like yours, contributes to the "collected" feel.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have looked at Home Goods, but haven't looked at Overstock or Birch Lane. I'm going to take a closer look at the lamp suggested by kitch4me. I also like the Uttermost lamp suggested by rubyclaire, but think it needs to be a darker finish. Speaking of blue and white (from deeinohio), here are pictures of 3 lamps I already have in the space. may_flowers asked for pictures of them yesterday.

This one sits on the cabinet to the right of the windows. It has a dark blue background. I think I need to change the stark white shade. Also - will be changing picture on wall to a darker frame.

This one is on the piano. Very sentimental. Belonged to my grandmother. I added the shade awhile back.

Another lamp from my grandmother. I know it looks more like a bedroom lamp.

Same lamp, close up.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Also check out LampsPlus. They have free shipping and returns.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Have you checked World Market? They may be a bit too boho, but perhaps you find one you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market lamps

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Marshalls.....

I know you said you wanted the same shape lamp, but I picture a wider/round based lamp...

• kelp
    9 years ago

Have you tried local antique stores? Also, if you know someone who's handy, you can probably find a lovely ceramic vase, and a lamp kit, and just make your own. DH made one years ago, and I still love it. There's also a local shop that sells (and repairs) antique lighting at reasonable costs. They have a sizable selection of lampshades, finial tops, etc. Perhaps you have one in your area, as well?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Love the one on your piano!

How about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenroy Lamp

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have looked on line at World Market and many other sites like Ballard and Grandin Road. The biggest challenge seems to be the height. I have considered even trying to find something to turn into a lamp as suggested by kelp. I do like the shape of the one posted by errant.

While looking at Lamps Plus AGAIN, I found this lamp. Perfect height at 25". I know I said I wanted something in a dark finish, but do you think this one would disappear in my setting?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus Florence

• voila
    9 years ago

You have so many pretty lamps. Lamps seem crazy expensive to me these days. I may sound cheap, but take a look at JC Penny on line. A lot of their lamps are marked down. Here is a 24' bronze lamp, or maybe you could use a Dale Tiffany look with a bronze base also sold at JC Penny.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• voila
    9 years ago

You may want to keep your lamp shades similar- like the pagoda shape-to tie them together. Or go with a non-fabric shade, like stained glass.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is my feeble attempt at adding the glass lamp to my photo, using paint.

Tomorrow, I think I'll try a few more lamps that have been suggested.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It is a pretty lamp and nice to have glass in front of the window. Been looking everywhere and have seen so many ugly lamps!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers, that was my thought too - to have glass in the window. And I couldn't agree more about the ugly lamps. I've looked at SO many sites and have seen SO many unattractive lamps.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like the glass lamp! So pretty. Just so you can see it next to a dark base, this comes in your height requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Hmmm--to me the problem is the table--a little small for the height and visual weight of the lamp. I'm thinking you need one skirted table in this view--preferably next to the sofa in the corner, where you can put a more substantial lamp, and then something smaller on the small drum table. You don't need a real table--any halfway handy person can build you one. (I did this when I was poor (more poor....) right out of college--46 years ago--and I'm still using it!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Destination Lighting has a lot of lamps. They're like Lamps Plus and have several stores in the PNW. Their search is 20" -26", which is nice since sometimes those extra inches is just the finial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Destination Lighting

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

None of your existing lamps can possibly compete with the large scale of all your seating in this room. They are better suited to smaller more intimate rooms like bedrooms.

Frankly, IMO your tables are barely large enough to compete with your seating furniture. I would consider the table selection first so you can choose properly sized lamps.

The round table between your two lounge chairs should be about 30" in diameter if you plan to use a lamp on its top. It appears it might be only 24". Also, having table tops that come close to the height of the chair arms will make the room a bit more visually comfortable.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

At this point, my head is spinning! I'm really not sure what to do with lamps or tables!!! I'm just about ready to throw in the towel.

Thanks, ak, for the mock up with a darker lamp. How do you put just a lamp in the picture without the white background like I had in mine? If I had to choose between the two right now, I'd choose the glass lamp.

As much as I like skirted tables, I think I'd rather not use one in the corner, mainly because it would be another round table.

Thanks for the link to Destination Lighting, may.

beverly - the table between the two chairs is 28" tall (I'd really prefer 25" tall, but right now, I'm just trying to use what I have) and is 28" round. At 28" round, that's pretty close to the 30" you are recommending. I have to agree with you about the size of the existing lamps, except for the one on the piano. You have given me a lot to consider.

Here is yet one more lamp I brought home today to consider. It's from a small shop in town. The crazy part is it's the exact same lamp I tried in the LR when I was trying to make the plaid chairs work. I couldn't believe she still had the lamp in the shop. I'm not 100% sure on this one. I'm still kinda drawn to the glass lamp I posted yesterday. BTW, this green lamp in the picture below is just under 24" tall. The glass lamp is 25" tall, according to the website.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Finish and color look good, but I would go larger.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Larger in width? Larger in height? Larger in height AND width? Anything larger in height seems too tall to me, IRL.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Not to confuse you even more but what purpose does this lamp need to fulfill? Is it for Ambient (general lighting), Task, or Accent lighting?

If you are limited to price (and most of us are) have you considered looking in the second hand markets? Thrift stores often have nice lamps for very little altho usually the shade needs replacing.

At the moment, having seen one online (new), I am thinking of wrapping an existing lamp with jute twine to refurbish it. I've also painted lamp bases which can change the look quite nicely.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It does look dinky.

I have a 28" w table. My lamp is 25 1/2" tall and it has a skinny, straight base with an angular shade. I have a piece of pottery and a small table clock on either side to fill in the space.

It's possible that the lamp may not matter as much as the shade. The shorter, wider, open-topped shade in your glass lamp looks good but the others, which I think are called coolie shades like the Chinese hat, don't look as good. I think a boxier shade would fill in some of the width of all that window space. Maybe you could photoshop a squared, rectangular, or drum shade in and see if the shade makes a difference.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The purpose of the lamp on the table in the window would be a combination of ambient and task (reading). I volunteer at a nice consignment shop and am always on the lookout for nice lamps there.

I think you are on to something, may_flowers, regarding the lamp shade. This afternoon, just for the heck of it, I put a lamp from the family room on the table and it looks so much better with a wide, drum shade instead of the flared lamp shade. This lamp(borrowed from the FR) is a little more than 27" tall. So, I guess I've been way off with my height restriction, too!

So, all along I thought I was looking for a shorter, darker color lamp and now I'm thinking taller and lighter color. Yikes!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Much, much better!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Yes, better! There seemed to be more to chose from in those updated shade shapes too. One of the problems is trying to work with all the traditional elements in the room without making it feel so static. But the chairs are more casual now. I keep wanting to put pattern and texture into the room, but not sure if the lamp is the place to do that. It would be nice to have a sculptural piece as a lamp--kill two birds with one stone--art and light.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by may_flowers on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 13:59

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I know you didn't ask, but I would close the drapes in a little bit more. They are lovely, but look too skimpy for the large window when they're pushed all the way to the ends.

• antmaril
    9 years ago

I bought this lamp at JC Penney recently.