Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

It's DONE and I *love* it! Bathroom re-do pics!

reno_fan
15 years ago

Okay, this was by far the worst room in my house, and one that I wouldn't even use. Now I have to say it's one of my favorite rooms.

I still have to hang a towel bar and get some additional bathroom accessories, but for all intents and purposes it's DONE.

With and without flash, as the flash distorts the color of the cabinetry quite a bit. They are a soft muted green in real life, but look almost blue when the flash hits:

Comments (55)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That turned out awesome. Your company should feel like royalty using that room.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous and very elegant. You should feel so proud of the wonderful job you've done.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for all of the encouragement. It sure does help when there's no one in my house who's at all moved by this sort of thing!

To attach the fabric I used spray adhesive and just stuck it on.

The nailhead trim is actually this:

SO much easier than individual tacks.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

What an elegant bathroom and yet sooo warm and cozy. You're got the touch for sure. Your passion shows in the way you choose your fabrics etc. Well done!

• bananafana
    15 years ago

Oh my! It's awesome! I can't believe you did this so fast! It's so amazing. I love, love, love the walls. You have to tell us how you did that. After you have a nap. I'm so glad you will be keeping the cabinetry! What a great job!

• bichonluver3
    15 years ago

Absolutely AWESOME! You did an incredible job and deserve all the kudos you are getting.
    Now...Please, PLEASE tell me how you did those wonderful cabinets!

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

When I first read the title of your post I was like "What?" I was confused! Didn't you *just* post you were going to work on your bathroom lol. That was lightning fast!!
    It came out gorgeous!! wowzers!!! Did you remove the center panels of the upper cabinets and put fabric in there with chicken wire on top?

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Whoa, Reno fantastic! How beautiful did your room turn out. The wall color really sets your cabinetry and fabric off .. very, very nice! The floor looks fantastic with it all too! Like everyone else I'm blown away with how fast you completed the project! If you've taught the Bassets to paint, please come teach mine I need the help. ;)

• salonv
    15 years ago

Wow so this is virtually finished now. Amazing. Beautiful.
    If you read this - there is another thread about what you mean by texturing the wall. Anybody knows?

• farfrae
    15 years ago

That is so gorgeous and so inspirational. Please tell us how you did the cabinets. Very, very lovely. You are so talented, can't believe how you did this in a few days.

• eagertopaint
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! did you make your own shower curtain?
    what color red did you use? Very inspirational!

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

Very impressive. That project would have taken me 18 months to complete.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

Is that the same vanity? The finished version has what I call "feet" and the before does not. If it is, how did you add the "feet".

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

It came out lovely! Fits right in with the rest of your home.

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

I'm amazed! You are so good and worked so quickly! The room is absolutely gorgeous. You are one talented lady! Congratulations on the beautiful bathroom. I hope your son (and company) enjoy it. Jaymie

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

You need your own TV show. I'll be your agent.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! You guys are so funny. I honestly didn't feel like this went fast at all! I kept feeling like I was getting behind. I broke a door, I had to wait on DH to wire the light sconce, etc.

I think one reason it did go reasonbly fast, though, is that I had approximately 90% of the materials on hand. I had the chicken wire left over from another project, ditto the fabric and tassel trim, primer, drywall mud, sandpaper, brushes, glaze etc. All I had to buy was the cabinet and wall paint, the nailhead trim, and a few supplies. That helps, as the shopping and "pulling together" of the look is what takes the most time. Actually painting a small room like that doesn't take much time at all.

I will say, though, that the most difficult part of the whole project was working that @$%&! chicken wire. That stuff is a royal pain in the carcass. It came in a big ol' roll, and every time I tried to unroll it to measure it to fit, it wanted to roll back up. The edges are *sharp*, and I poked myself once and bled all over the floor. Seriously. I've not ever seen that much blood! (Now I can truly say my blood, sweat, and tears went into the facelift! LOL!)

Getting it to fit inside the cabinet door was a royal pain. I could get it in the old recess where the wood panel used to be, but it kept wanting to curl up. I had to re-cut the panels like 4 times to get just the right size, and then I had to figure out a way to keep the chicken wire stationary. I finally used some small window glazing supplies to tack in 2 sides, and then used some small dowel rods to tuck inside to keep the wire in place.

The chicken wire was also a very ugly silver color, so I had to spray paint the panels black to give it the look I wanted.

I tell ya, after that fiasco, I don't know if I'll ever want to use chicken wire again!

Zipdee, I've tried in vain to get the Basset's to do *anything* around the house, other than lay around and be cute. I find their stubby little paws are just useless when it comes to projects......

As far as painting the cabinets, here's what I did:

I sanded everything and wiped it down. Then I painted two coats of the base color Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage (a lovely shade of "Crest Toothpaste" green).

When that dried, I used a glaze from Sherwin Williams in a color called VanDyke Brown, and just brushed it on lightly.

The color was a bit "cooler" than I wanted, so when that dried I glazed it again with a Minwax gel stain in Plantation Walnut. That warmed it up some, as well as giving it a nice even sheen.

Love2weed, I bought the ready-made feet at a builder supply place. They're just glued on. Had to trim them down a bit to get them to fit under the vanity, so the glue's on top.

Eagertopaint, I did make the shower curtain, but don't tell anyone, as I really can't sew, and the back of it is really unprofessional looking! All raw seams and threads, etc. I really need to make some sort of a lining for it!

The wall color was supposed to be a deep pumpkin orange color, but instead it's just an orange-y red. It works, and I'm happy with it, but I think I may have like a little more orange and a little less red. The color is Benjamin Moore "Spiced Pumpkin".

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Wow, beautiful work! You have inspired me! :) Thank you for sharing!

• Molly Brown
    15 years ago

I can't even believe how it turned out and sooo quickly. You are amazing, looks great !
    One question about glaze and the gel stain.
    Glaze: Is it really thin and when you brush it on it lets the base paint show through? Or do you brush it on and then wipe some off?? How does glaze work?
    The gel stain...is that like regular stain but a gel? Do you wipe some off?
    Thanks for all your info, you are very inspiring.

• sis3
    15 years ago

Congratulations reno_fan, great job and a great inspiration!

What's next?

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Reno, you ARE somethin' else! Please take this next for what it is, an outrageous back-handed compliment : Please consider replacing the toilet with a darker colored ceramic. (I guess they make that?) Why? Cuz' when I look at that gorgeous room it's almost as though someone was moving a toilet and left it accidentally standing in an elegant dinningroom! Seriously, though, since I'm sure that's out of the question, how about a dark seat cover? You have created a wonderfully atmospheric room...oooo la la! Such a smart girl!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Great makeover! Thanks for the great tip on how to get the nailhead design. Clever!

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

What an amazingly inspirational makeover. Job very well done :)

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

LOL I'm the one that said I wouldn't paint the cabinets because it's too much trouble. I can't believe how fast you did that! I'd still be working myself up to it! And it turned out GORGEOUS. I wish you'd posted the before pic too. I'm totally amazed at the difference. You did great!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I knew the pics were going to be pretty...because you have excellent taste, but sheesh, it's gorgeous, just wonderful. I actually saved the pic of the cabinets....if you don't mind (and even if you do, cuz you won't know LOL) I'm going to do that in the rental. It's fabulous!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Came out Cute Cute Cute !! I love the toile, the cabinets and all of your beautiful accessorizing. You did a really wonderful job of updating and using things already in place to their best look.

Red

• gardenwebber
    15 years ago

Reno_fan - could you post a macro or close-up of your textured walls? I am having trouble making out the details of it.

What a gorgeous transformation!

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Reno fan, in addition to dazzling all of us with your talents, I think you just saved me thousands of dollars. I have been needing to install a new tub and tile tub surround, so the builder came by and we determined that new fixtures, wall tiles and vanities as well as a new floor will not cost much more. We were "only" up to $10K, and it was time for me to choose tile and vanities. Well, I really tried, but couldnt find vanities that I liked enough to buy. I gave up really easily maybe. I thought about painting what I have, but dismissed the thought. "Probably wouldnt work", I said to myself.

Now I look at what youve done, and I say "Of course! Use what I have if I cant find the perfect new stuff." I dont have your skills or your courage but I used to be quite creative, and am now motivated to give it a shot. So, thank you for sharing your success after so much hard work, and thank you for inspiring me among others.

• bedelia
    15 years ago

I think it's fantastic. It would have taken me a month at least to do that much.

I do have questions about the vanity legs. Didn't you have to remove your back and side splash to raise it? How did you do that? Also, I assume you had the tile under the vanity to begin with.

Looks like a great idea for me to use. Thanks!

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again!

Gardenwebber, I tried several times to photograph the walls. I could not get my cheap little camera to capture the texture.

This website, however, shows better what I did. The only difference is that I painted over my skim-coated walls, where this lady (it appears) left to look like aged plaster.

Beach Rose, so glad I could inspire you to save money! That was one of my main motivations here. I think my grand total for this bathroom was under $150, including all of the materials I bought previously.

Later down the road I'll replace the vanity top and faucet, but for now, you don't notice those items as much because the rest of the room is much nicer.

Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: A good visual of skim coating walls

• compumom
    15 years ago

Fantastic job! Congratulations on your creativity, economy and hard work! You're an inspiration here!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Reno,
    Oh my, it looks so wonderful!! I love the chicken wire on the cab above the toliet - it just makes it seem so much lighter. And the vanity looks like a piece of fine furniture.
    Gosh, and you even wired in a sconce!! You go girl!

I have to thank you....I took my bosporus fabric into my guest bathroom & yep, it looks fab. My bath won't be as wonderful as yours but it gets me going!!

Smiles:)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

It's ever so wonderful! I really like it. I like that you had fun with finishes, and tried both the solid panel and the chicken wire panel. What fun! Nothing like company to push us to our decorating boundaries. sometimes, it's the only way my house gets really clean. ;)

• laurmela
    15 years ago

Beautiful Reno! I always love what you do!

That fabric is to die for! Can't wait to see your next project!

Toodles,

Laura

• awm03
    15 years ago

What I love is how it brings out the best in those saltillo tile floors. Everything looks wonderful together.

Please send some of your focus & energy my way :)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Woman, you are amazing! What an absolutely delightful space this has turned into. Very, very well done indeed!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

This is an absolutely stunning transformation. I can't believe it went so fast! You should be very proud of yourself. I agree with other poster who said, your choices really complement your beautiful tile floor. What did you do with the shower enclosure, though? Is the curtain in front of it or did you take it out?

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're keeping the enclosure, it's just behind the curtain. It's a personal preference, I think. On a shower, I prefer an enclosure. If it were a tub with an enclosure, I would have removed it, as I prefer a curtain with a tub. My son (who uses this bathroom as his own) also requested the doors to stay. He said he *hates* shower curtains. Hates how they move around, how they don't hold heat as well, etc.

What I'll do, though, is remove the brass enclosure and have it powder coated to an oil rubbed bronze color. That will at least freshen it up. This shower was rarely ever used, and is in "like new" condition. It's just dated!

• bichonluver3
    15 years ago

Reno_fan!
    Thanks for the "how to" on the cabinet doors. How would you like to visit the California desert and do my whole house?? Seriusly, I would love to see pics of the rest of your home. Possible? Waiting by the computer........ :)

• dlfrun66
    15 years ago

I love it. Great job.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I just saw these cabs in House Beautiful and it reminded me of yours! These were done in a very similar color: BM November Rain and then glazed. Maybe HB should arrange a photo shoot at your house!
    {{gwi:1883680}}
    {{gwi:1883681}}

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Smart idea to keep the shower enclosure. I like how you have worked a compromise between you and your DS. Amazing how those cabs look like the ones kmcg posted.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holy cow, kmcg!! Those do look like mine, and that is the *exact* look I was going for!

• jesemy
    15 years ago

Reno,
    What kind of feet did you put on the vanity and how did you do it?

Nancy

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jesemy, the feet were ready-made feet from a builder's supply place. They're just glued on. I did have to cut them down just a little so that they would fit under the cabinet.

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

Wonderful job. It is beautiful!
    I just love the vanity. Is the fabric vintage?
    You must be so proud of what you have done.
    Barb

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I wish when mags post info they would give ALL the info. I just looked at November Rain and it is two up from Dry Sage. A really pale pale green. Almost a white with a green tint. I see more blue in the pic than green. They do mention they used lots of glaze and 'pigments', I just wish they would mentioned what those pigments are! I am now condidering doing this to my MBR cabs to go with my Flax Bosporus. I am toying with using BM Gray Wisp (Silver Sage) as the base color and glazing over that. Originally, I was just going to paint the vanity in SW Muslin 'cause that is what the trim is throughout. Anyway, sorry to go OT! Back to our scheduled program....

• neesie
    15 years ago

That is one gorgeous bathroom! I thought at first you were posting pictures of your bathroom that you someone professionally decorate. How talented you are! Thank you for sharing your "feet" and "nailhead" and "chicken wire" secrets. And also for giving all the glazing details. If I ever decide to glaze a cabinet or cupboard I will look toward this thread as inspiration. And even then, I'd be happy if it turned out a fraction as lovely as yours did!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Wow, your bathroom and kitchen are both gorgeous. You really do great work. It's fine to have an eye as you do and as many others do but few are able to pull it off so well.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Reno fan,
    I haven't been on GW in forever. And I popped on tonight to find some inspiration, and here is your GORGEOUS bathroom. Wow. It is just beautiful.

I have that same Bosporus fabric picked out for roman blinds for our laundry room. Now you've motivated me. This is SOOOO the look I am going for in my laundry room. My cab's in there are a sage-ish/olivey green with brown glaze, and the machines are deep red. I troweled joint compound onto the walls (tinted a gold color) and then washed A brown smoke stain over the walls. So while my laundry is different than your bathroom, they have a similar feel. *note to self: go purchase my roman blind fabric... pronto!!).
    Thanks for the inspiration. Can't believe i found something so perfect, so quickly. Always enjoy seeing your home(s). So happy you shared. :o)