Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittycat76

Need help with paint colors and decorating ideas (pics)

kittycat76
16 years ago

Hi there. I have been a lurker for a while and this is my first post. =) We just moved into a new house and it's completely bare. It's driving me crazy that there is no color in here. I found some painters to come paint the entire house, except for the bedrooms, in 2 weeks so I need to pick some paint colors and fast LOL! They will be using Sherwin Williams paint so I need some SW color suggestions.

I need a good neutral color, or even a nice mustard, something warm but not boring, to go throughout. Then I was thinking of doing a chair rail in the formal dining room and a deep red below it, and the same deep red inside the art niche. I also want to paint an accent wall in the living room but I'm not sure what color yet. Our new furniture in the living room is going to be chocolate brown leather. We don't have a formal dining table yet.

If anyone could give me ideas on paint colors or decorating ideas, including curtain ideas, I'd really appreciate it!!! =)

This is the entryway and stair case and art niche:

This is the living room. It is a very open floor plan, which is why I was thinking a nice neutral or mustard throughout but with deep accent walls:

This is the formal dining room, which is open to the staircase and the living room. It has a hexagonal shape with columns around it:

This is the game room upstairs. It faces the front of the house and you can kind of see it when you're downstairs. This is my daughter's play room so we want a fun color but nothing too crazy since it's a pretty visible room:

I need help LOL!! Thanks!

Comments (28)

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Many have fallen in love with SW Macadamia. I wanted to use it for my bathroom redo last year, but DD was in love with a vibrant terra cotta.

Red

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Red. BTW, is it possible to take a paint color from another brand (like Ralph Lauren from Home Depot) to SW for them to match? How accurate are they? That would open up my color choices.

Oh and I want a nice terra cotta for the kitchen!!! So if anyone has suggestions on that, LMK. I am looking at SW Copper Mountain or Flower Pot (that has more red in it though).

Thanks!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Since it's not white, I think I'd move in and live with it for a while. Often we find the furniture that was so perfect for our last house just doesn't work in the new one (too large, too small), and we need to start over. I think after you've been there for a while you'll have a lot better feel for it. Then you can start on one room at a time by yourselves, take your time, and save money. You can still hire someone to do the areas with high ceilings if you want. I rather enjoy paining, but maybe that's just me.

• msrose
    16 years ago

Take a look at eaglesgal's foyer. She used SW Golden Fleece, which is really pretty.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Eaglesgal's foyer

• msrose
    16 years ago

There's a couple of pictures of SW Ivoire on this post.

Any chance you can get Benjamin Moore paint instead?

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Ivoire

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooh I like the Golden Fleece pics! Very pretty!!! Thanks!!

I actually have an Ivoire sample right now and it's too light for my taste, or not really too light but not enough color. I don't know how to explain it LOL; just too similar to what's already on the walls. I was wondering if Blonde, the next shade on that same color chart, would be good? Anyone have pics of Blonde?

Also, what color looks good to set off the inside of an art niche, if I were to do Golden Fleece? Would you do a red or just a darker shade of the mustard?

• msrose
    16 years ago

Blonde seems to be a pretty popular color. You can see a couple of pictures of it on the Gold/Yellow post.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite yellows and golds

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I really like the paints y'all suggested. I am getting some sample quarts tomorrow so I'll post some pics when I get some squares painted.

Here's a question (sorry, I am new to this paint thing)...if I were to find a Ralph Lauren paint at Home Depot that I like, can I then take that paint chip to SW and have them duplicate it? How accurate is the paint color when it's made by another company? Would they know how to make it?

Thanks!

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Hi Kttycat76.......I have the Blonde, Ivorie & Restrained gold colors. My home is pretty open floored plan. The Ivorie was intense in my house at first but after the flooring went down & we moved in , it wasn't too much. I love the REstrained gold in my DR. Here is a link if you wanna have a look.........Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's home

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bonnie - Thank you so much; that was very helpful! You have a beautiful home! I can tell which rooms are Ivoire and Restrained Gold, but which rooms are Blonde? I think I am getting sample quarts of all 3 of those tomorrow. Then I'll post pics and have y'all tell me what looks good LOL.

BTW, I love your window treatment in the bathroom, above the glass block tile! Our bathroom is very similar and I've been looking for ideas for my glass block tile window. Where did you get the window treatment?

Oh and I love your apothecary jar with lemons on the island! Mind sharing where you found that too?

Thanks again!!! =)

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Thank you Kittycat! The blonde is in the backhallway, laundry room & craftroom. Actually I think it is only one picture there on webshots of the blonde & it is the craftroom wt. I can put some more of the craftroom & laundry area if you like.
    Oh, the WT.....in the bathroom. Boy I looked at alot of different ideas before I decided on that one. I didn't want to cover it up but beautify it somehow. I found a picture I liked & bought fabric & had a seamtress make it. Then DH & I hung it.
    Apothecary jars in the kitchen came from Stein Mart. I love Stein Mart for great decorating things. My canister set came from there too & I have seen similar ones from Gracious Goods.
    Can't wait to see your pics later today......good luck!
    Bonnie

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whohoo, I'm going to hit Stein Mart this week and see if I can find some! I love the way those look on the island. Did they come with the lemons or where did you buy those separately?

Do you have a straight-on picture of the WT in the bathroom? I would love to print it out to show my friend to see if she could make it! Did you make the rosettes too or buy those? Our master bathroom is so much like yours, so I know that WT would look great in mine too.

Thanks, Bonnie!

• straitlover
    16 years ago

I just picked SW Sundew for my master BR and bath. I know 2 people that have it on their walls, and it's warmer/yellower on the walls than on the chip depending on the light. Actually, I took the chip to Lowes and had it matched in the Valspar/American Traditions paint because they were running a $5/per can rebate, and I like that paint fine.

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Hi kittycat76.......I will try to take a pic tonight of the wt straight on for you & load it to my webshots album so check back later to the link below. The Rosettes are wooden holders for the WT. I fauxed painted them alittle to match the bathroom a little better.
    The lemons were separate from the apothecary jars. They sell them in a big round thing for 10 dollars or so I think.
    You are very welcome for the help...happy to do it for you!
    Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bonnie! That pic is perfect!!! Where did you get the wooden rosettes, do you remember?

Thanks so much!!! I saved the pic so I can try to recreate it. =) I'll post it for you if/when I ever get it done LOL!

• meltnaz
    16 years ago

kittycat76,
    You're home is beautiful! There's nothing like a blank canvas to work with!
    To answer your paint question. Yes, you can take a paint chip from another brand, such as Ralph Lauren, to another maker and they should be able to match it almost perfectly. Every paint maker uses different chemicals, emulsifiers, etc. so the texture or sheen of the paint might be slightly different, but not very noticeable.
    Hope that helps.:)
    M

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Kittycat,

I empathize with choosing paint colors for a whole house, and while it nearly brought me to tears a number of times, it was worth it in the end, because I appreciate how much it adds to have color on the walls. If I could, in any way, save someone else the difficulty we went through in that process, it would be great.

You mentioned SW Flower Pot, which we have in our kitchen. It appears slightly more brickish red in real life:

And, you also mentioned a mustard color, more intense than Ivoire. We used BM Wilmington Tan in our foyer and great room areas, which open to the SW Flower Pot red in the kitchen. They seem to work well together. Also, if you a SW paint, I'm sure the BM color can be matched by the Sherwin Williams folks:

I really like the BM historical colors a lot. Hope you find what you're looking for,

Jan

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Hi kittycat76, I got the wooden rosettes at Linen n Things I believe. Yes, please post us a pic when you get your WT up.....we would love to see! good luck!

bonnie

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! I got 7 samples at SW the other day and my house looks like a patchwork quilt now LOL! I'll post some pics to get your votes on which paint colors look best together, but I need to get my camera back from DH, who is out of town right now. =(

So far I am LOVING Restrained Gold. I really like Blonde at night but it's almost too yellow during the day for me. So I am contemplating using RG in the foyer, staircase and hallway, but I'm wondering if it's too dark... Anyway I'll post some pics when I can! I need to decide on paint colors by next Friday - yikes!

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

HI kittycat76,....The Restrained gold is very pretty especially at night. I haven't found it to be too dark at all in our DR. We do have two windows on the front. If you plenty of windows I think you should be ok. Can't wait to see your paint job!

bonnie

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bonnie, yes RG is very pretty! I am actually going today to get a sample quart at 50% strength to see if that would work for the foyer and staircase, but use it full strength in the DR and LR. It's such a beautiful color!! Now I just need to nail down my red for the DR and my terra cotta for the kitchen, LOL!

• georgiasusan
    16 years ago

Kittycat76, I'm wondering what you finally decided on for the colors in your home. I've been very interested in this thread because I am looking for a color to go through my entire house (again!) I really need to get the color right this time because I've repainted my entire home 6 times in 10 years, still searching for the perfect color! You mentioned restrained gold at 50%. How did you like it? I've never heard of doing a color at 50%. Does it look lighter than blonde?
    georgiasusan

• kittycat76
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Georgia, we ended up doing Latte throughout. I love it. They are finishing up the painting today but I'll post pics tomorrow after the chair rail is done. We also did red (SW Bolero) in the art niche and beneath the chair rail in the DR. We left the kitchen color the same since it goes with the Latte and is a bit lighter. I plan to get some very colorful window treatments and window seat cushions and pillows to make the kitchen nook pop more, rather than doing the kitchen in a different color.

RG at 50% was pretty light. It was very similar to the Blonde, but with a slightly different tone to it. It also looked lighter than Blonde to me.

I hear you about repainting. I'm kicking myself for paying another $200 to get the LR repainted just a week later LOL. But I would rather do that than hate my LR, KWIM?

Good luck!

• georgiasusan
    16 years ago

Kitty, I'm glad you love the Latte. Your home is beautiful and I can't wait to see your pictures after the DR chair rail is done.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

why are you reviving an EIGHT YEAR OLD thread???

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Olychick, I've seen at least two new threads posted by Houzz competitors soliciting for a response from posters which popped up in this forum, but after a few minutes, Houzz was able to remove all traces of the threads, so I know that the site monitor can take these down if they see them. Too many of these old threads popping up that have little value to this forum.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I know Beverly. My question was really rhetorical, as I know it is just spam. I did report it, but once you've flagged as spam, the option to say you've reported it sometimes disappears along with the post.