Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

What about the fridge?

sochi
10 years ago

My architect is pretty much leaving this up to me as this is really a budget issue - choices really are Stainless Steel, white or panelled. White probably won't work, I'm tired of SS and again, worried about it being cold, lacking texture. Panelled means more $$ and we're are not on an unlimited budget.

I guess my question on this is - in your view is it worth the $$ to go for a panelled (probably wood, maybe not) fridge rather than going with SS? The extra money a built-in panelled fridge would cost could go to many, many other wonderful things.

It will have to be either a built-in or a counter depth.

I had more or less resigned myself to SS, but a post on my other thread (thanks athomeinva) got me thinking about panelled fridges again. Have a look at this kitchen:

The layout of the kitchen is very similar to mine. Wood clad peninsula, white cabinets. I'm assuming that is a wood panelled fridge in there. Looks awfully good to me. I like the wood with integrated lighting carried across the top of the white uppers too.

Our home will have a much lower budget than this place, and it won't be so 'polished,' but there are some similarities.

Love the black lights over the DR table too.

Comments (34)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I personally think that wood clad fridges are not something I would spend extra money on, especially if you are looking closely at the budget. It will be more upfront this time around, and more again in 15 years when you buy your next fridge. I think that buying unitary, easily replaced appliances makes the most sense. That being said, I would also select a common size and leave a bit of room if building in to allow for sizes to change a bit in the future. With the ongoing lust for larger storage capacity, in tandem with government mandates for higher energy efficiency (read more insulation) fridges are more likely to be larger than smaller in the years to come.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

The nice thing about an integrated/panel version is that you have one less appliance where you have to try to match the finish with your other appliances.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If you do anything other than stainless, you might have trouble matching the finish if you need new panels down the road -- and the cost and time it takes to get a couple of panels is outrageous. We have fridge drawers and they wanted almost as much for two drawer fronts as for the unit itself when it failed. Actually, I could get a scratch and dent unit for less, but the panels would still not match the existing cherry even though we could still get the same style and finish. We are using stainless for now.

By the way, I don't think either of the large wood areas in that particular photo is a fridge. It gives you an idea, but there are not seams where a door would need to open.

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

If I had the money I would definitely get the paneled fridge & all other appliances paneled that could be.. Such a beautiful seamless look. I have no idea the additional cost, but unless it meant I had to sleep on the floor, i would go for it!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I have no idea how much more the cost of panels on fridges and dishwashers are because I was never interested in them. My SIL has them and they look OK, but it's not like the panels are really disguising anything...I don't mistake her DW for a cabinet or her fridge as a pantry. I don't have them and I don't think the look of my kitchen is "disrupted" by the regular appliances...it's what's expected in a kitchen. And appliances today are attractive and more sleek looking. It kind of reminds me of the trend to put TV's in armoires. Since this is a vacation home and you do have a budget, I say skip the panels and just put in nice looking appliances...as Lascatx pointed out cheaper now and cheaper to replace in the future.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I would panel it. A fridge is big and tall. You have an open airy space, and the fridge will be very visible. I would either get a lovely white Smeg, or panel it.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I sent an email.

• deegw
    10 years ago

What about the white ice? I have no idea about the quality or reliability of the particular fridges but it seems that the finish would work well in your space.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I agree with Joanie and Julie. I have never understood trying to disguise a huge appliance (e.g., fridge) when it's one of the kitchen trinity. I don't know how much panels cost, but I'd figure out something else on which to spend that money. They're only good for that particular model anyway, right? If I didn't have a stainless fridge (which is a totally neutral finish to me) I'd have to get a white one (ugh).

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The fridge itself will be $5000-7000 for a decent size. It's not the panels that are expensive.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I am copying this photo from the other thread in order to illustrate something:

What is your thought about the fridge in this one? I'll reserve mine for later.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I went with panel as I didn't want SS. I buried the MW in a cabinet so it goes away. Where I couldn't panel (ovens an cooktop) I went with black. As your space is so modern, you might consider black as an option. At one point, I think it was LG was making black glass fronted fridge which looked terrif, but I don't know if they make it any more.

The more hidden you want the fridge, the more expensive it gets. Friend did a great job of completely hiding his fridge with a custom designed cabinet that looks like a large free-standing armoire...no hinges or sides showing or anything. Of course he is an engineer and figured it all out. Cabinet makers made it to his specs and it looks terrific. But not cheap.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love the look of paneled appliances, but then I grew up in Europe. Of course, it also depends on how big a fridge you're looking at. If it's huge and just looks like a fridge in disguise with water/ice dispenser, then in my opinion, it's not worth the extra cost.

[Rustic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2111) by Atlanta Architects & Designers Peace Design

had posted wrong pic

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 11:31

• Oakley
    10 years ago

This is definitely a personal preference, but for myself I love looking at nice fridge's. I don't like them hidden in a kitchen.

I've never had mine covered though, but I wonder about the wear and tear and how long they'd hold up over the years. Anyone know?

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Nosoccermom, definitely the second picture, not the first. I think the first is a counterdepth, the other is built-in. We will probably go with a 36" if it is counterdepth. A 48" wide fridge would be too large for a modest sized kitchen I think. Is that a Smeg I spy in photo three?

Annie, I want to minimalise appliances too, so I will probably have a discreet induction cooktop and then a microwave / speed oven and d/w hidden away below on the peninsula. I wouldn't panel the d/w in that location. You're right though, definitely more money to be discrete, much cheaper to go with an induction range.

Kitchendectective, that kitchen looks great. Having the sides of the fridge covered with wood makes a difference. It looks like that fridge is just a counter depth too, not a built-in.

I do understand those who don't like the panelled fridge look. I rejected the idea for my main home for the reasons you describe. And I think I had seen more examples like the first picture nosoccermom posted than the second.

Mtn, DH rejected Smeg as too small, but I do love them.

My home built-in fridge is a SS Gaggenau, but I won't spend that here. I think Pal is right re: costs, it looks like one of the cheapest 36" built-in is Jenn-Air around $5k. I'm not aware of panel costs.

I'm not certain we have the room for multiple fridge drawers and a back- up elsewhere. It is a fairly small place.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

We had our subzero in our last house for 10 years and the cabinetry held up wonderfully, as did all of our cabinetry. It looked new when we sold. In fact, in our new house I had them glaze our cabinets and add brushstrokes because I didn't like just how new and perfect the paint finish was in the last place.

We have had our "ice box" panelled subzero now for about 3 years, again no issue with panels.

For those who mentioned that it will be a problem when you replace the fridge in 10 yrs, I don't think you will be replacing it in 10 years. I know someone who has had theirs for 25, and the PO had two here that were 20+. It was news to me that fridges last 10yrs when we had to replace one (not a subzero) in our lakehouse a few months ago ...

The mfr.s should be ashamed of themselves to make fridges that only last 10 years,

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I would simply not have the refrigerator situated where it would be viewed from the open living/dining area. The back of the frig could have an interesting wood or other surround/back and would appear as a small wall for the open view. The small wall could be an interesting feature of some sort. Plus, with all the windows it would be a handy place to hang art to be viewed in the open plan.

EDITED to include a visual! This isnâÂÂt exactly what was in my head but imagine the wall in whatever finish and pretend the frig is incased on back, top and sides. The face is not in view from the open room. The back is behind the wall.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 12:23

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Another example. They made the panels from fencing.

Or totally different: fridge with glass doors

• User
    10 years ago

A fully integrated fridge would be ideal, what about a Liebherr?

Next best would be a single door with freezer on bottom in either stainless or white, french door fridges are not sleek enough. The kitchen that kitchendetective posted looks good and would look even better with a single door fridge.

single door stainless fridge

kitchen with fridge

French door fridge in white kitchen, the fridge is not ideal

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Liebherr would be great, but the kitchen can't handle two 24" columns, plus I don't need that much freezer space. Maybe a 30" with a freezer drawer somewhere? That combo would push the price way up though. I could handle a freezer chest in the utility room if I had ice upstairs.

I agree about French doors, but I'm considering them due to my 42" aisle.

Nosoccermom, love the fence panels! I'm not a huge fan of glass fronts though.

Jterrilynn, interesting idea. I'd have to figure out where the fridge would open up to though.

How many fridge drawers do you need to have as much space as a 30" fridge I wonder? Costs would add up quickly with drawers I expect.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

How close are you to the store? You may not want to keep a ton of stuff on hand at a weekend place, unless it is a hike to get food.

My DD's yoga instructor has a lovely older home, and her period look kitchen has 2 sets of drawers (and a full fridge and freezer in the basement). She did it for the look, but she also says she usually shops every day anyway. Look at how Europeans do it! Of course, they are a family of 3 so that matters.

I am sure the drawer specs include cubic feet, so you can figure out the cu ft comparison. As for cost, I know when I first used them in my last home, only subzero had them ... now i think there are more brands at lower price point?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Sochi, it's a subzero with custom-made paneling.
    "Old fencing was used for the Sub-Zero panels and cabinetry in this cottage kitchen. The handles are made from galvanized pipe, which echoes the galvanized metal shelves and counters. Some would say too shabby, others country chic."

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

What brand is this frig? I LOVE! I tried to enlarge but the name became blurry.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Mtnrdredux and others,

As someone who works in the HVAC field, don't necessarily blame the manufacturers. Refrigeration must comply with government mandates regarding energy efficiency and environmental restrictions on what refrigerants are allowed for manufacture and sale. An example of well-meaning legislation by non-engineers creating a mandate for manufacturing that shortchanges the consumer in the long run, as engineering for efficiency and longevity are often opposing goals.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

In re: Photo at 9:20
    I think the fridge is a miss. This is a kitchen that would benefit from a fully integrated fridge, IMHO. Barring that, a sleeker fridge with rectilinear handles rather than curvy ones shown would be better. The existing fridge seems discordant. Many of the attempts at integrating fridges seem hokey to me--like who were they trying to kid--but some kitchens really do need them.

Jterrilyn, maybe one of the Traulsen commercials? Too beefy for this app, no?

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks kitchendetective - I agree with that fully integrated would be better in that kitchen, but at least from the view presented it is a decent compromise. But I see your point. Completely agree about the handles.

I'm certain integrated is ideal for my kitchen and application. Other than my architect and many people on this forum, most wouldn't blink at your 9:20 fridge though. As in most projects, the question comes down to where to save and where to splurge.

I also think a 24" would be less obtrusive than a 36", so I like the idea of a full fridge 24" integrated with a freezer drawer tucked in somewhere. I'll look into availability and prices.

jterrilynn - wow, that's a big fridge! It would take up my whole kitchen! :)

mtn, we will be about 15 minutes from a decent sized grocery store. Our at home Gaggenau (36" built in) has only 14.3 cu feet and it is occasionally tight but mostly just fine for our family of four. The cottage kitchen fridge will not have nearly as much in it (at least I hope!), so I do think we can get away with smaller, and very little freezer space. That said we will entertain more at the cottage than we do at home (but we entertain a fair bit here too).

• User
    10 years ago

How about the stainless subzero with the glass door? There is nothing like the all too ordinary contents of a refrigerator to humanize a cold, metal kitchen appliance.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I know, it's a monster! I still love it though. The smaller one is 27" wide , commercial and probably a fortune.

• lee676
    10 years ago

There's almost nothing else that's stainless steel in your kitchen; i'd go with a wood panel.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I suggest putting money now into one or more of the "other wonderful things" that cannot or will not be added later. Refrigerators are replaceable.

The idea of a smaller refrigerator and supplemental freezing, even cooling, outside the kitchen sounds really good. Good for the kitchen. Standard additional unit/standard price.

Could you purchase extra of whatever will be on the island and walls to help keep the door open for paneling a refrigerator in future -- should you find you care?

I'm guessing that your design needs an integrated look even more than most, but this house may be so full of people and their accoutrements whenever you see it that you could find yourself just not noticing the refrigerator. :)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think a series of drawers would be more expensive than a built-in full sized fridge, once you had enough. And possibly harder to replace, and they would take up all the space below the counters away from storage.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

The problem IâÂÂm having with your frig dilemma is that you have that âÂÂcoolâ thing going on. We all know you have excellent taste. So, picturing you with a regular refrigerator face front in that fantastic house is not an image I can conjure up (and I have a good imagination). However, I get that this is an âÂÂextraâ home and there is a budget. If it were me I would not want to sacrifice refrigeration space by going too small just for the sake of appearances. Heck, just the stuff to go on stuff takes room. If a small wall could be added that would jive with the architecture in a way that the frig back would back to it and the face would not be seen from the open planâ¦well, you could get away with much more then. Otherwise I would splurge a bit on the frig.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jterrilynn, agree re-configuring the space so the fridge is less visilable is a good idea, not sure how practical it is at this point though.

I think the solution may be compromise, as Pal suggested. Ensure that a built-in 36" paneled fridge can be added later, go with something good enough in the meantime. This is DH's position as neither of us are terribly comfortable spending thousands more than necessary on a part-time fridge. Pal suggested having a counter depth fridge spray painted to match the cabinets, another possibility.

But I think there is almost a consensus that a built-in, probably paneled fridge, is the ideal for my application.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I'm very partial to integrated panels on appliances, but that's just me. We had our kitchen completely gutted down to the adobe walls 7 years ago. Because our kitchen opens into our family room, I wanted everything possible to be integrated. We have a KitchenAid French door fridge (love it!) and also their dishwasher. Both purchased to accept panels to match our new cabinets. Anything I couldn't put an integrated cover on (LOL)~ double ovens, cooktop and MW drawer~ I bought in black so that they wouldn't stand out. Seven years later and I wouldn't do anything differently (except NOT buy that darn KA dishwasher!). The door panels look like they did when they were first put in.
    BTW, Sochi, I LOVE the kitchen design you're going with! Don't forget to post After pics of everything.
    Lynn
    My integrated fridge: