Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Need a more creative way to display antique spoons.

I would like to display a set of 6 World's Fair Commemorative spoons. (These are full size spoons, not the tiny little commemorative ones you see in tourist shops.) I know, you'll say "Use them," but I have other ones I do use. My brother and I grew up with a set in daily use, which disappeared over the years. I stumbled across a full set and would like to display them. I am going to look for a second set to give him, and I would like to present it in something ready to display. I looked at spoon cases online, but most were for loads of spoons, and I don't plan on getting more than just these 6. Plus, most of the racks were really tacky looking or downright ugly.

I know I could probably just Velcro them inside a shadowbox frame, but I am trying to think outside the box ( um, literally). Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Can you hang them on a wall all in a row or as a 2x3? Some place where there is a narrow strip of wall? Really outside the box...make a mobile.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Do you want people to be able to touch them and really look at their details? What about putting them in a mint julep cup or some other souvenir cup or mug?

• geokid
    10 years ago

I would look for an antique printer's drawer. Some may have slots large enough for full-size spoons, but if not, you could remove some dividers to get the right sizes. All you would need is a little saw. My son has one hanging on the wall of his room and it's where he displays his Lego mini figures.

This post was edited by geokid on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 10:08

• luckygal
    10 years ago

This silver cutlery is not special in any way but I put them under a cake dome as a temporary accessory while I decided what to do with this inexpensive yard sale find. Glass cake and cheese domes and cloches are useful to display many things.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Frame them?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I was in a really interesting shop today and they had a Worlds Fair dustpan and scraper for table crumbs. It was so neat (hee, hee, both the object and it's purpose). Naturally, I can't remember the price now but I did think "hmmm, that doesn't seem unreasonable for such a cool item."

I like how marti's are displayed in different directions. But what spooked that poor dog? He looks stunned by something.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Just my 2cents, but are you 100% positive that your brother (and his SO) would want to display them? He may very much appreciate them but not want them displayed. Or would choose a very different way to do so. Once you make is a display, its like buying art for someone; very hard to do.

I would wrap them nicely and let him decide.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Fellow Dane! When you said "no horizontal space", it sounded like a great way to display them on the wall! Could you find a great piece of trim and line them up horizontally, then hang the trim on the wall? If Marti's way of holding them on works.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Marti, love, love, love the chest, dog picture and your framed silverware. What a lovely display!

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

geokid, that's exactly what my son is looking for, for his lego figures. I admit, I "borrowed" the picture to show him. He'll love it.
    Still thinking about the spoon thing. I'm thinking small shelf that you could drill holes with a little "slice" to slide them in. Space them out the way you like and use appropriate size board for shelf.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

I have my spoons framed. They have been inside the shadow box for about 12 years and have never been polished. :-)

I also have a small collection of my grandmothers spoons from Europe. They are in a cut crystal glass of some sort [maybe a toothpick holder?] that belong to her.

I agree with some others to let your brother decide. If it were my brother, he would not be interested. He leaves all those decisions up to my SIL.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 22:18

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Marti and newhomebuilder, how are your spoons mounted? Are they wired on?

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Mine are like you mentioned...Velcro.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Linnea, I framed my brother's favorite fork (yes, he had a favorite!) in a shadow box when he moved out of the house. I used just a tiny bit of sticky back Velcro. You can't see it and it's plenty strong to hold a spoon.

Jaysmom, I saw on Pinterest someone had used a golf ball display case for her child's Legos so I was looking for one of those when I happened upon the printers drawer. It works perfectly. Hope you find one too!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I wish I could say that is my home, but you know I have nothing that remotely resembles style. I found that photo on pinterest.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

I am glad you posted the photo, no matter who's home. ;) I like the way the spoons are framed in silver/gray/black. Much prettier than my old shadow box. I think I may take that photo to a framer and have two sets made with my spoons and hang them side by side underneath my cabinets. The only problem is the large antique (some Governor's inauguration) stuffing spoon. It was a wedding gift, and I sometimes get it out for holidays. It's huge and needs a deeper frame.