Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

These lights?

Sheeisback_GW
9 years ago

I was going to wait until everything was all finished to pick lighting, but since sales are going on I think I'd like to purchase sooner.

My budget is $500 for both and preferably under. I'm looking for something clean and more simple than what I have. I would prefer bronze or black.

I was thinking this for the island. I saw it in person and really liked it. Finish is forged bronze. The globes are etched/frosted glass with vertical grooves. Island top is 3'x6'
30.5"W x 27.25"H. The globes of my current light spans out 36".
{{gwi:1852204}}

-I'm not completely opposed to two pendants, but I like to keep fruit at the one end and a tray with an ironstone bowl that holds more fruit (& typically some type of plant, ect.) at the other. This is necessary. I don't think I'd like pendants coming down on each side if that makes sense.

This Ballard Piedmont for over the table . The table, rug, and hutch all will stay. My thinking was it would help break up the circles. My concern is will it give enough light? My current chandelier has 5 bulbs each giving 564 lumens each. I like how bright it is and haven't looked at higher wattage of candelabra bulbs.
Table is 48" round.
In Antique Bronze color. 18.5"H x 13"W
{{gwi:1883361}}

Showing the light over a table. (Savvysouthernstyle blog)
{{gwi:1883362}}

Is it going to give me this feel in a few years?
{{gwi:1883363}}

For anyone who's missed the other many posts. Progress photo and explanations.

Progress before staining.
{{gwi:1852192}}
Other side.
{{gwi:1883364}}

New stain color.
{{gwi:1826487}}

Fabrics (toile roman/plaid chairs)
{{gwi:1826488}}
New wall color. Beadboard will also get painted TBD color.
{{gwi:1852194}}
GE Cafe appliances. Here's the range.
{{gwi:1883365}}

Hardware, Art, etc. TBD.

If I went with a chandelier over the table, I don't know that I want glass globes this time. I've been looking at candelabra styles with or without shades. I'm not sure if they work and don't think any of them work with the island light I posted above. Figured I'd start by asking about the above two first! The other part of me is saying to just add cans over the island when we add the rest and others and call it done.

What do you think of those together for the room? Thanks!

Comments (29)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love the first light. Not crazy about the 2nd one, mainly because it looks like a porch light to me. But then, I'm not very trendy. I actually like the chandelier over your table now. What do you not like about it? Also, could you tell me how high it is over the table? It looks like more than the recommended 30 inches and I like it better that way.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marti8 - I'm more hesitant about the lantern choice for sure. I think I'm trying to think out of my box or something.
    The light I have over the table is ok. The shades are mottled and frosted and it's rather scrolly. My island light is the one I'm having the big issue with and I feel like the two I have no coordinate together, and I don't think the old chandy will work with the new potential island light.
    Actually the bottom of it is 30". I think it's just the design of it that makes it look higher. I've had quite a few people here in the past tell me I should lower it. I like the height also!

Besides the lantern, I like this style, but don't think it goes with the island light either.
    Think I prefer the style on the left. Can't find the light. Would want white shades.
    {{gwi:1883366}}

Could buy this one and spray it.
    {{gwi:1883367}}

The island light does have a matching chandy, but I wanted to go with coordinating.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 1:43

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

First of all, am I the only one that thinks the stove in the new stain color photo has a smiley face? I would think that every time I looked at it!

While I like the red lantern in the photo, that is a more country setting. Your house is more traditional/transitional and I don't think it goes. I also think it doesn't relate to the island light. I too don't mind the existing chandy. Is there a light in the line that the new island light is from? I do like that one and can see wanting to update the existing one.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the metal part of the linear chandy but I'm not a fan of the ribbed bell-shaped shades. It seems like an odd mix of industrial and Grandma. I don't think the lantern works with the traditional hutch--seems more cottagey to me and just out of place over a table.

I would try to lighten the look now that you'll have dark wood cabinets. Maybe pewter or nickel with its yellow undertone could work instead of adding more brown with the ORB. As for glass shades, it'd be nice to find a lighter, updated style after having the heavy amber bowl-shaped ones. I took a quick look and see a lot of those still around in the linear chandy styles. Will look some more later.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rnmom - Right on with the smiley face!
    Here's the matching light like the island light. Like I said the color is called forged bronze, but it's kind of shiny darker pewter bronze ..if that makes any sense.
    It's 25"W x 20"H.
    {{gwi:1883368}}

Mayflowers - I did consider pewter or nickel, but it just doesn't feel like me. I'm probably going to use satin nickel, pewter, or antique gold for hardware.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the existing light.
    It's only 21"W x 24"H. The above chandy might be too big for the table. For some reason though, while I really love the island light in that style, I don't care for it as much in the chandelier.
    {{gwi:1883369}}

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Here's a Quoizel DR chandy that's traditional but updated. It's not too fancy for your kitchen/DR combination, but the lamps give it a touch of elegance. I'm not as fond of the arms, but at least they aren't way OTT like some traditional chandys. It was on the Lamps Plus website for $330 but Overstock has it for $100 less. Quite a deal! It's so hard to find nice lighting on a budget.

Description:

Candle cover detail and brown-trimmed organza blend beautifully into this five light chandelier by the Palmer Collection. Curved lines with ball accents finished in bronze tones complete the looks of elegance. Suspended from a coordinating chain. From Quoizel Lighting.

Quoizel
    5-light chandelier.
    Palladian bronze finish.
    Etched glass inner shade.
    Five organza outer shades with brown trim.
    Delicately curved arms with ball shape accent.
    Matching candle covers.
    Five maximum 60 watt or equivalent B10 candelabra bulbs (not included).
    Includes 4 feet of chain, 8 feet of wire.
    21 1/2" wide.
    21" high.
    25" deep.
    Canopy is 5" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The sconce shows the color better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palmer sconce

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - Oh, I like that! I agree about the scrolls. I like the shape of the shades, but the description is organza. I wonder what it looks like IRL. I like the brown trim. My new fabrics have brown in them too. This may be a stupid question, but can the shades be removed or replaced if I wanted later? I saw a similar one in a store recently that I couldn't figure out how you'd remove the shades!
    Pic of the two of them.
    {{gwi:1883370}}
    {{gwi:1852204}}
    It is hard to find attractive lighting in a budget range. Everything I really swoon over is way, way out of budget.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 16:39

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The organza shade sits on the top of the inner glass shade. That's what I like about it--the double shades. I don't know if you can find replacement shades. The top of the glass shade is 3", so you'd need a fabric shade with a metal ring that diameter.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - Thanks, I just realized that looking and reading a little closer. I do like it a lot. Do you think the two work together?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There are matching pendants.

I think they need to have a strong common element to work together. You also don't want to give equal prominence to the island light as you would the DR light, which I think your three-light does.

Here is a link that might be useful: pendants

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - Ah, sorry I see you mentioned earlier you didn't care for the island light. I wasn't sure until I saw it IRL. Should have taken a photo.

I do like the pendant and it's bigger than what it appears in the photo. I wish I could see the pendants in a room. Didn't think I wanted matching lights, but I see what you mean about them fighting for attention. Could I get away with two on the island? Pendants are 9.5"H x 8" x 8". Island is 3'x6'.

I'll entertain the idea of pewter or nickel lights too. It depends on the style. I really like these.
    10.25"H x 12.36"
    {{gwi:1883371}}
    {{gwi:1883372}}

Part of me wants something more simple, yet I even like the look of a crystal candelabra chandelier(s) over an island, but then no clue what to use over the table. My foyer, that you can see from the table side of the room, has a vintage brass candelabra chandy with black sleeves, dripping in crystals.

*sigh* I should probably wait until everything else is done, but impatients is getting the best of me. Was hoping to bounce ideas and get suggestions ahead of time.

Thanks!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 2:22

• mattandrews
    9 years ago

I thought the second light was a porch light, or you'll put it outside the house. Anyway, I really like the first one, plain and simple. I personally like white lightings inside the house, especially if the cabinets and other furnitures are painted dark.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the pendant lights you posted on Tuesday Nov 25 at 0:34; they look great paired with the Palmer chandelier shades. I like the Palmer pendants also but haven't seen lights with matching shades in a kitchen over both the table and the island and am not sure what that would look like. But I really like the brown banding on the shades!

Three-light fixtures over tables and/or islands are a dated look, regardless of now nice the particular light. The Palmer chandelier is very nice and simple, and i do like the shades. You will probsbly get more light from it than your former fixture because the shades are lighter and it is a down light, not an up light.

Finally, I think two pendant lights----unless they are tiny----are just fine for an island or table. It all depends upon the spacing, you want to get that right to make them look right hanging above your island. I applaud you for keeping a bowl of fruit out in your kitchen, as it's true that availability determines what most people eat for snacks. I would not want a light hanging over that bowl either! My kitchen table is 7 feet long and I have two pendant lights hanging over it. I really liked the shape and vintage vibe of the shades (they weren't popular then and certainly aren't now, lol) and three lights was much too busy looking. Ours look high in this photo but they don't appear so IRL. (Our table also has a leaf that folds out lengthwise, so we pull the table out from the windows for seating all the way round, and the lights can't be too low or someone will hit his or her head. )

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I found these pendants on Overstock, also Quoizel in the Palladian Bronze. Less formal than the Palmer chandy so they might be a nice complement for the kitchen. Quoizel is a good company and has been in business a long time. I think you need to stay a little more traditional because of your hutch, cabinets, and window fabric.

That'd be $500 for the Palmer chandy and two Grant pendants. I was offered 10% off on Overstock's website, and you can often find coupon codes online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant pendants

This post was edited by may_flowers on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 10:08

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Lighting Direct has the pendants 15% off. You could ask them if they'll match Overstock's price on the Palmer chandy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant pendants

This post was edited by may_flowers on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 10:12

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

What brand/model is the pendant you posted at 0:34? I like that one and the Grant.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mattandrews - Hehee, porch light. That one has been nixed.

Kswl - Hi! You like the pendants at 0:34 being nickel paired with the brown of the Palmer chandy? I don't know that they come in another color.

May - I like those better than the matching ones for the Palmer. Thank you so much for taking the time to look up and link all this!

Bbtrix - That one is from Home Depot. It's the One light brushed nickel metal dome pendant from the Home Decorators collection. Model # 25397-71.

I'm going to ask DH his preference. He usually doesn't have much of an opinion on these things, but the light I showed him a few weeks ago go a big yuck!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The bronze shade is nice too. It's $170 with 15% off.

Take a look at Lighting Direct. There's several nice bronze pendants, many with dome shades. Nice chandeliers are harder to come by.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered the Palmer light. Found a coupon code for another $10 off so that was nice. My current chandy is 22" wide and the new one is 25" wide, but I'm assuming that's probably the shades.

Can't wait to finish the kitchen!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks May! I like that one too. I agree the chandeliers are harder to come by which is why I jumped on that one. I'll post some photos of it when it comes!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works out well!

How much light do the pendants need to provide? Do you have overheads? I don't think the metal domes will diffuse the light much.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figure the more light the better. I'm concerned about the size of the smaller pendants though. My kitchen is dark. (The 8.5x7ish) I would prefer to keep it to two pendants. The nickel domes are 10.25"H x 12.36".
    We have under cab lighting and have the one can over the sink (love both!), but are planning to add three additional 6" cans, on a dimmer, to wash the front of the cabinets with more light. The plan is to tackle the cans and new island lights at once.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The light came today. I like it, but was hoping the shades were a white color. They’re actually…not gold, but a pale buttery, creamy yellow. My rug has a lot of the same color actually. Here are some pics.
    What do you think of the shade color? It's hard for me to tell without it being up. I think I like it. I'm looking for reassurance I guess. The glass shades that go inside are neat.

I'm mostly concerned about the shade color paired with new paint color I’ll be using. I know there are a million choices out there, but I’m pretty set on painting the room BM Shaker Beige when the cabinets are finished (hopefully soon!).
    I also have the color in my LR (beside kitchen). It was such a dark day, this isn’t the best, but here are the shades against the paint color. This is a pretty lousy pic actually.

The Shaker color is great to tie in the beige tile table and pinky brown floor and counters.

I’m over analyzing. Maybe read too much of Maria Killam’s blog about not using yellow/orange and pink undertones together.

While I still like the green paint color I have, it relates to nothing in the room. Don't want to use blue or grays.

{{gwi:1883370}}
    {{gwi:1883374}}
    {{gwi:1883375}}]
    {{gwi:1883376}}
    {{gwi:1883377}}
    Again, pretty accurate shot of Shaker Beige.
    {{gwi:1852194}}
    My LR is also painted Shaker Beige. It was a dreary day so I'm not sure how much this shot is actually helping.
    {{gwi:1883378}}

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's hard to see the buttery color you see, especially with the wrapping on. But it looks good in the close-up with the paint. ORB has yellow undertones, and you have the print with the lemons over the table. But I know you're working hard to coordinate all your new things. Are other shades of that style available? Do they just sit on the glass shades?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - I tried to pull some of the wrapping away for some of the photos. I'm not sure if I'm keeping the fruit print. I still like it, but have never found other things that look right paired with it and I think it's too small by itself. Finding other things of similar tones made the overall look way too dark/serious if that makes sense. I should take a close up of the rug. I'm not sure about other shades. I didn't see any from this company. I'll pull it out later and look again how the shades work with the glass. I think they just plop right on top.

For over the island, I'm really drawn to the lights with a white middle and trimmed in bronze or nickel.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

The shades are so transparent, thinking they'll take on the color of the walls, yet not disappear against the paint color when the light is off, as so many dead-on matches can do. That transparency means they'll be more affected by the type of bulbs you use & the color of the glass shade they cover when the light is on.

You might try a mock up with the glass shade topped by this cover shade rigged sitting on an uncapped jar or any other base that would hold it steady. Shine a flashlight through it to see how it looks illuminated. If the glass & cover shades fit in a current lamp, that's even better. You could carefully unwrap the tape to get a true view of one shade cover without the distortion.

Like the shades very much & believe the slight buttery tint will add a warmer ambiance & give the fixture more dimension than white could. Imagine it will be a great addition to your lovely room!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vasue - Good point. I imagine they made candelabra bulbs in different kelvin temps. I have and really like the GE reveal halogen bulbs I have in my current light. - Just realized I won't be able to use the reveal bulbs because of the color showing.

The shades do sit on top of the frosted glass. You wouldn't be able to use the shades on another light and I don't believe this light without the shades.

I meant to do this yesterday actually. Here are more shots.
    I feel like the more light there is the less buttery they look.
    {{gwi:1883379}}
    {{gwi:1883380}}
    {{gwi:1883381}}

Here's the rug.
    {{gwi:1883382}}
    I think it will work well.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 14:35