Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

OMG, under contract!

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

We are under contract on the beachhouse!

Hope you friends are not too tired of me ... I am going to need a lot of help!

Comments (46)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

How exciting!

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I am totally excited about this new project for you and for us to tag along like a Greek chorus! I hope your architect doesn't get tired of us---- just tell him you have a PDW....practical design wiki :-)

• sochi
    11 years ago

Congratulations! When do you take possession? This should be fun!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is really helpful because it has only taken about 20 second for buyer's remorse to set in!

Sochi - I don't know. There are all sorts of complexities. We have a right of way over another neighbors' property to access a sand beach, and that has to be codified and approved by regulators. In addition (are you ready) an heir to one of the original owners (not the current sellers) has a right of first refusal. So now that we are under contract, they get a shot. We are ready to close ASAP, other than all that nonsense! You have your lakehouse project, too, no?

KSWL - Thank you! I have learned so much from GW and from our last project. And I am totally serious about making this "The house the Gardenweb built". I will even throw a party, promise.

Fun - it is exciting! I hope I can fall asleep tonight, I have to cook!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Oh, that's such exciting news! Congratulations to you.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Is it the one with the fabulous views? That is so exciting!

• sochi
    11 years ago

Wow, that does sound complicated! Good luck getting throught the technicalities as quickly as possible. We have have some conditions still to work through on our lake side property too, fingers crossed we'll have two GW homes to plan and design!

I hope you can sleep!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Congratulations! You will for sure began a new and exciting chapter in your life making many wonderful memories with your family. Keep us posted.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Congratulations, I hope the closing can go quickly and smoothly for you.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Oh how exciting! I hope the complications clear quickly so that we you can get moving on the fun stuff!

I don't remember how much you were going to renovate-- I seem to remember some large scale build out? I hope that you'll be able to use it this spring/summer? What a wonderful retreat!

• deegw
    11 years ago

That lot is to die for. Can't wait to see what you do with the house. Congrats!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Deee, Eandhl, Cam, Mary, Lazy and Sochi!

Funky - we have been so patient on this one! Partly investigating the complexities and investigating the market and our reno options/costs, partly getting the price down (we got it 25% below list). But we will either do a gut reno and addition or a tear down. It will be over a year before we have a house to go to, I'd imagine.

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Congratulations!! Very exciting news. I hear you about buyer's remorse (who wouldn't have it on a project like this?), but it looks like an amazing piece of property and I am sure you will have a great deal of fun and satisfaction pulling it all together to make a stunning home!

We have a summer home on Cape Cod, and our property came with all kinds of rights of way to water, easements, view restrictions (some protecting us, some protecting neighbors). It's a bit of a thorny mess to work through when you purchase this kind of property. On the water = years and years of history to untangle.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Huzzah! Wahoo! and congratulations!

It will be great fun following your progress.

Looking forward to hearing more!

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I love the idea of GW as a Greek chorus! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Wonderful news for you. That nervousness always sets in until the deal is all settled. You have an exciting journey ahead of you. Deep breath, now get ready for the holiday. lol

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yaya, So true. Even with three months of homework, it's butterflies and "what have we done".

Beth, yes, leave it to KSWL to give such a classical spin! I'm imagining you all now in diaphanous robes ...

Thanks, Annie.

Marina, yes, exactly! There wasn't one piece of property where the realtor didn't have to take out the survey, take a deep breath, and run through the particular set of quirks! The right of first refusal running to an heir of a the prior seller, though ... well that's was a new one on me. Let's hope that is put to bed soon now that we have a contract.

FYI, a link to the post I put on the building forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floorplans and Houseplans

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I am so thrilled for you!! Keeping all crossables crossed that all goes well in the closing process.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

How very exciting! Can't wait to see how everything progresses once it's officially yours.

The most important question, of course, is - when would you like us all to come for the housewarming? ;-D

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, Gscience.

Sunny, summer 2014 work for you? LATE summer? lol

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Well, my dear, if anyone is up to the challenge, it's you.
    Congratulations on seeing it through, and taking the leap. The forlorn little house is lucky to have you. And, oh, that view!

I recommend a glass of hot milk with a good shot of bourbon at bedtime tonight.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Congratuations! This will be so enjoyable! Once the heir is gone (why does it feel like the Right of the First Night--ick), we'll be like grandparents--all the fun of a child but get to hand it back to you for all the messy parts : )

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Mtn--congratulations!

When we purchased our little lake house the property owners on each side of us had the right of first refusal or they could assign someone, so we were really freaked out that we wouldn't get our little house. They had to match the price we offered.

It all worked out. I hope yours does too. An heir to the original owner?? Wow! How fascinating. Let's hope no one wants it.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Congratulations!!!! Hope everything goes smooth, and looking forward to when it is YOURS!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations! What a great piece of news, and am so excited for you and your family to have such a great place! Here's hoping all the remaining red tape is easy stuff and you can get on with the house design details. Yeah, you just tell your architect and GC you have 'people'....lots of them. It will be grand!

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Exciting news for you, and we'll be here hoping all goes well so you can enjoy that fabulous spot soon. The beach and view will sooth any stress away. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• rafor
    11 years ago

Very very cool!!! :)

• loribee
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh--- how FUN!! It will all work out, promise....
    I forget what state~ let us know, we will be there!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Hoping that everything proceeds smoothly.

Another fun project for us to do, oh, I mean for YOU to do. Thanks for taking us along on the journey!!!

Happy Thanksgiving
    Bee

• teacats
    11 years ago

Fantastic news!!! :)

So exciting -- and yes indeed the neighbourhood will be so lucky to have you and yours in their future! :)

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

congratulations !! hope all goes smoothly. Also I took your advice and grounded the tile table with the still life pic adjacent to it...makes it make sense in the room as you so wisely pointed out . Thank you! c

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Now, I remember back when you were contemplating the location -- where to buy -- and then I do remember seeing the pics of this house, but I don't remember if you ever told us where the house is. Can you share?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Congratulations. No matter what you end up with house-wise, you certainly can't beat that piece of land! Hope you get quick approval.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh gosh, that didn't sound quite right, did it?! I meant whatever you decide to do...and we all know that you will create something delightful and lovely and eminently livable!

• porkandham
    11 years ago

How exciting! Congratulations!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Pork! hey, would you be willing to send me the info on the builder your bil and ail used? just shoot an email?

Cyn, I didn't see Anything wrong w your post? thanks!.

SueB. I'm sure you can guess. Plus it will be on the invite for the summer 2014 gw party. : )

Thank you so much trail, teA and Bee!!, Lori, rafor, suja, outside, tinker!!! and fly!

Redlvr..... they could ASSIGN it? wow, that would make me crazy too. We have only one person to worry about.

Bronwynsmom, lol , it is forlorn.....

Happy Thxgiving all!

• Irish2
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Mtn! I am not as proflific as the other
    ladies and gents (Pal) on this forum so suffice to say
    my sentiments have been expressed in one form or another
    already.

PS I do know the location and it is awesome.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

That's exciting news - please let me add my congratulations to the chorus.

I hope the right of first refusal situation has a time limit so that you're not on tenterhooks wondering whether you will be able to proceed.

• chris11895
    11 years ago

OOOOOOOO!! Congratulations! How exciting! I can't wait to join the chorus!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

"Right of first refusal" - when does that covenant die? Is that requirement attached to your title as well when you want to sell? Very odd.

BUT congratulations - have you picked colour schemes yet?

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

just saw this, so am late to the chorus. I was hoping you would go for that piece of beach property. It spoke to me. There is beachfront,and then there is your beachfront with the spectacular view.
    Hope the contract rigamaroll goes smoothly and you get started on your plans for the house.
    I am beginning immediately on a plan to slim down for the 2014 housewarming- so I can look as slim as Sunnycottage and terriks! LOL

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Cooperbailey. It really is a very special piece of land. I love watching the waves crash against the rocks, and the way the land just out on a point with no one to the right or left ... let's just hope we find a good GC this time!
    Uh oh, do I have to slim down too, LOL.

BL Fenton, Ten years ago, a Ms. X bought the property from Ms. Y. As part of the negotiations, Ms. Y and certain of her heirs had the right of first refusal on any future contract of sale between Ms. X and another party. It expires next year. My DH, an attorney, personally thinks the way it is written it is moot, but that's a whole 'nother story!
    On to color schemes. I have some pretty good ideas, but I am open! The exterior will be white cedar shake allowed to turn light grey ... that is 100% given. I think the only color will be aqua exterior doors (I want to reuse the 1925 ones). In the interior I want to use a combo of painted wood floors and grey and white checkerboard linoleum. I also want to do a wall of old maps of the various places we have travelled to (we travel a lot). I will try to get some aqua through those, too. So, for now, aqua, grey, white, the usual suspects I guess! ANy suggestions?! I googled beach decor and it's all the same.

Chris,
    Thanks. And thanks for sharing and helping me formulate educated assumptions about building, too!

Maire, Thanks!

Irish, it really is a special place! Thank you.

• Flowerchild
    11 years ago

How exciting this is! Hope all goes more smoothly with the closing. Hopefully no heirs will appear on the scene, probably not.
    We frequented the GW build forum throughout our timber frame construction. As you must know it is a wonderful resource to have. Then when decorating time finally comes you can enjoy the ideas shared here on this forum.
    It will be fun to see how this is born with your exceptional talent and gift of visions.
    Thanks for sharing your dream.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I'll have DH ask BIL about their builder and send the info, if you'll tell me how to send an email!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pork, I think i just turned out the email option. Thanks so much!

Flower, yes, I already posted my preliminary floorplan and an image of the exterior style I am going for on the building forum. Just like here, the people are great.

• franksmom_2010
    11 years ago

How exciting! Your plans for the place sound really lovely, and you have a great eye for detail and style, so I know it's going to be just gorgeous when you're done!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz