Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please help me choose light fixtures open concept space

ontariomom
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I sure hope you are willing to help me finalize my lighting choices for my open concept space. We are rebuilding our house and have added a large addition. I have found lighting design and fixture choices very challenging.

Here are my mood boards for the light fixtures in my open concept space (including large kitchen, dining room, great room, small living room and a foyer). I am going to mix metal finishes as per the advice in the blog linked at bottom. Can you let me know what you think of the choices. The dining room chandy, while dated, is still one I like. I don't see any need to pay $500.00 up to replace a chandy I still like.

The first mood board includes the small living room and a tall ceiling foyer. There are two options for the foyer fixtures and two options for the pair of sconces in the living room.

Next up is our kitchen (which is very large). We are considering two choices for hanging pendants in front of the kitchen windows (options A1 and A2). We will have one ceiling fixture in the passage way that connects the kitchen to the DR/GR (options B1 and B2). There is one accent wall in the kitchen where the two oil rubbed bronze light fixtures (E) can go and one spot for a wall light also in the kitchen passage way. Light G is our island light. We wanted a big light there to balance the island hood.

Last up are our options for the Great room/Dining room. We are again considering two options for a ceiling fixture (P2 or P1). Two of light fixture Q will go on either side of the fire place. The other shown sconces go on the open walls. Fixture M is a dining room chandy we already own (yes it is a vintage antique brass one from 2 decades ago). Fixture S will hang over our coffee table in the great room.

Looking forward to your feedback on the light fixtures and if you can see them working together. Linked below is the article I am using to inform my mixing of metal finishes.

Thanks in advance!!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: mixing metal finishes

Comments (13)

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Assuming you will keep M, then here is what I like well with it. I am not so much a fan of M, but that was not your question.

My advice is based on the viewpoint that M would be a meaningful Feature fixture you would purposefully choose today given all options, because you really liked its features, feeling, shape, throw pattern of light, and style. That M really says, yes this is my style.

If this is not really the case, then I would recommend considering replacing it and then coordinating other choices based on what you would purposefully select for the dining room fixture. IMHO the dining and entry fixtures are very important in setting the tone of formality, style, and emphasis of the house, especially in open concept.

OK, so if M is the main basis of design for your lighting, then other pieces need to go well with it in relation to cylinder vs angled shades, Georgian curved arms vs straight arms, how shiny the finish and glass is, and the type of bulbs used.

I like B2, G, S only with it. To me the others are too country, too victorian, or to MCM Regency, or too contemporary.

I know this is a lot of work, and I'm not trying to pick on your choices.

I just have recently gone through changing fixtures when we moved. From my experience, (take for what it is worth to you), I think you are making a mistake by keeping the existing fixture in the dining room and trying to make it work.

Consider what you would do with these spaces if either H2 or G were your dining room fixtures.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The only one that jumps out at me as a definite is, if those are the sconces you're using, definitely go with B1.

Otherwise, it's very hard to say w/o seeing the rooms. Stylewise, though, I like the schoolhouse light much better than the other (A2 over A1).

You really want to keep M??? Hmmmâ¦Sorry. Had to put it out there.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your replies Tibbrix and julie and for letting me know what you think of the chosen fixtures and their harmony together.

I figured the existing chandy would not get rave reviews. I would still like to use it as I do like it. However, if the other fixtures all go together with each other and the chandy M is the odd man out, I can always replace it down the line. So if we consider the existing Chandy (M) as a place holder for 5 years or so, please continue to let me know how the other lights go with each other.

After work tonight I will upload a floor plan. I can't photograph the rooms as it is down to studs/under construction.

Carol

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Okay. Sorry. I feel mean now.

I do think A2 will keep its lines/style much longer than will A1, so a smarter choice.

Really like the B1 with the sconces.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the planned stone for the fireplace.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, so if I let the old DR chandy go, do the other fixtures work together? If not, which ones are out. Also, can one of the foyer lights work for the DR (say H2)?

Note: The fireplace picture above is more purple than in real life.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it seems from talking to a design talented colleague that I have chosen lights from several different design styles (some transitional, some traditional and some contemporary). I am going to try to figure out how to only choose lights from one style.

Let me know if you have anymore thoughts on lights you like and lights you do not. If not, I will revise and re-post later.

Carol

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm glad you found someone to help you narrow down your choices. While I liked many of them, I couldn't ever figure out what you really liked best because they were all so different. Too confusing to even comment. Will look forward to your new post with a narrowed focus.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

A floor plan will really help. It will let us see what lights you can see from where.

Is your faucet and your hardware both chrome? and your door handles the dark finish. I can't tell if it is antique brass or not? What is your DR chandy - is it brass?

You need to figure out, if you are following the article that you posted what category each of the above elements fall into. (the faucet, hardware, etc.) My feeling is that you have already mixed your metals.

For example - in the kitchen you have chrome hardware/faucet (step 1). Step 2 would indicate picking a matching metal which you did with the island light and either of the window lights. (I prefer A2 as it adds another element - the white glass shade - into the mix while retaining the metal.

Where I am bogging down is in the transition areas between the rooms which is why a floorplan would be helpful.

For the foyer/LR I would pick H2 and J1 but that is subject to change depending on the floorplan and how the rooms are connected.

Edited to add:

Don't forget, unlike a bathroom, a kitchen comes with other metals. What are your appliances, pots/pans, cutlery. What are your plans for your stools - any metal there? In your foyer, LR and GR - does any of the furniture have any metal in them and if so - what type. Are any of your accessories metal. How about your backsplash.

This thought and question was triggered while I was just in my kitchen and happened to notice my copper backsplash which is behind and underneath my stainless steel range and vent. My hardware and faucets are brushed nickel while my lights in the eating area and family room are aged bronze. My pendants are a mix of the two and act as a transition.

I treated each `area of the house as a separate area. Kitchen/eating area/family room is one area while the DR and LR was treated as a separate area. Because the Kitchen/eating area/family room had a mix of metals I felt comfortable using either of those 2 metals in other rooms. The copper backsplash was my jumping off point for using copper in a variety of accessories throughout the house.. So, 3 metals throughout the house.

This post was edited by blfenton on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 18:30

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Olychick and Blfenton for your replies.

Blfenton: Nothing will be in chrome.

The main metal in the kitchen will be in polished nickel (to include all of the cabinet hardware, 2 faucets and likely the two pendants in front of the windows). The secondary metals would be oil rubbed bronze (door handles, ceiling fixture and a pair of sconces) and antique brass ( e.g. existing DR chandy, the light over the coffee table, a bit of the island pendant and a pair of sconces). Three metals total. I would not want them all the same finish, so was hoping. I don't have an entirely up to date floor plan, but here is the best I have. The area marked playroom is the small living room I have referred.

The kitchen in the above plan has changed to an L with a big island with cooktop as I posted earlier. The great room will look like the following (with fewer pot lights than shown).

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few more answers for you Blfenton. The kitchen appliances will be stainless and the island hood will be powder coat painted (either an off white or a blue/grey) with a bit of stainless banding. The back splash will be plain white subway and the stools will not likely have much metal in them (have not chosen them though).

I had not planned on any metal on the great room or other furniture (I prefer wood end tables to metal).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I might try to simplify the finishes as follows:

Kitchen: mostly polished nickel with some oil rubbed bronze. No Antique brass in kitchen. There will be stainless appliances.

DR and Great Room: Antique brass and oil rubbed bronze (no polished nickel here).

Living room/Foyer: Polished nickel and oil rubbed bronze (no antique brass).

I am frustrated with trying to determine which lights are transitional vs contemporary vs traditional. For example lightingdirect.com and destinationlighting.com classify many of the same fixtures differently. Often the difference is destination will call a light transitional, and lightingdirect has it classified as contemporary.

Carol