Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finallyhome_gw

You Never Know

finallyhome
9 years ago

When my Grandmother passed several years ago we gave away (not sold) most of her kitchen stuff. It wasn't good enough for me.

Now looking at the price, $255, of these Pyrex containers which she had a set of blue, I wonder what else of value we gave away.

You just never know.

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

We are divesting of the contents of my parent house as my father will be moving. The majority of the good furniture is spoken for but an estate auction house has offered to take the remainder, plus virtually all the contents that are left. He said you would be surprised what people will buy, and at what prices.

• finallyhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe it. Here is another item that I remember my mother being very proud of back in the '60-'70s. Now going for $145 on OneKingsLane.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Wow FinallyHome. Maybe I need to stop using my pyrex and check out some prices.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Just because someone asks that price doesn't mean anyone will pay it in a hundred years. Did those pyrex dishes actually sell for 25.50 ea? If anyone wants to give me $250 I will buy 10 of those on eBay, have them shipped to me and ship them to you and still make a profit. In fact I passed one up today at Savers for $3.99.

OneKingsLane is a 'curated' shopping site. You are not paying the 'antique' value for items there, you are paying for the service of someone shopping for said antiques so you don't have to get your white gloves dirty digging around in a dusty antiques shop. Again, their listed price is no where near the fair market value.

On another note, the OneKingsLane grape cluster is made of onyx. Most of those from the 70s were made of resin, and they sold millions of kits so almost every housewife had resin grapes wired to a manzanita twig. Those resin grape clusters were so much a fad back in the day, that a salesmen visiting Salt Lake City, after seeing them for the first time but on everyone's coffee table, asked his host if they were some kind of Mormon symbol.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 7:24

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yup. Stuff was made MUCH better back then. Not only was it made better, it tended to be made smarter too, simple but high quality. Now stuff is made to appeal to ego, bells and whistles, shiny objects, but low quality.

I find myself more and more, when I'm in a predicament, asking myself, "What would my father/grandfather/grandmother say/do"?

They were MUCH smarter than we are now, in my opinion.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I agree a good part of the price is that they are curated.

But if you were to collect these in perfect condition (probably from eBay) and pay to have one or two shipped at a time, you may have $10 or more for each one. You get them for about $100, you pay $250 retail. That's probably about right.

I think there is still a full set of these (large rectangle, long rectangle and two of the above that all stack) in my parents' kitchen but they are so old and so washed that the original red is an almost rubbed off pink.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I have three of those pyrex containers in my cupboard right now. I use them all the time. I love the handy glass tops. I got them as a wedding present back in the '60s. They outlasted the marriage. I can;t imagine they are worth that kind of money.

When we cleaned out my great aunt's house I passed up a lot of her belongings. They were too old fashioned for my 30 year old self. Now I can think of a few I wish I had. I'm not sure what happened to all her Bakelite jewelry.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

my mom too had a lot of those pyrex pieces that I got rid of-- I remember deciding the tops would drive me crazy since they didn't secure to the bottoms--- I knew I would be sweeping up glass pieces on the floor on a regular basis if I took them!
    but, I know if I was into antiques and everything old, we could have sold a lot of what was in my parent's house to someone--- there is a town near where one of my kids went to school that had a lot of those 'antique shops' with booths which are full of things just like my parents and grandparents had! and I had heard those auction houses keep such a large % of what is sold that we decided to just donate what we didn't want... there are some people who will buy anything, but it's a stressful and time consuming process--- maybe we would have done things differently if any of us lived closer to where they did...

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

My mom had two of those pyrex dishes in red. I thought about keeping them but I don't have enough storage or cupboard space as it is. After donating them I came across an old family photo of my parents and grandparents around the dinner table, with me as a newborn in mom's arms. Yep the little red pyrex dishes were on the table (photo is black & white). I have seen them many times since in antique shops (usually around $12.00 each).