Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

I need your input, round or square?

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

We would like an area rug under the breakfast table. I was thinking rectangular or oval but the width of the area is only ten feet. All the rectangular or oval rugs are too big or too small. I think an 8 x 8 would be okay. I found a rug I like that comes in an eight by eight square or an eight foot round. Which would be better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug I am considering

Comments (27)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I was thinking about asking about round rugs . . . they seem to be out of favor (dated? just not as popular?). . . so will be interested in the responses.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

How does the 8x8 fit the space? You noted 10 feet wide, how about lengthwise? I'm wondering if the round would be more forgiving of uneven offsets, for exposed flooring framing the rug. Is there ample room for pulling chairs in and out with the round?

I prefer the pattern on the rectangular layout.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snookums, I agree. I love the pattern in the rectangular but not crazy about the pattern in the round option. The area is about 12 1/2 x 10. I really want wool and this seemed to be a good choice, but not crazy about the round.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

What shape is your table Holly-Kay?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Holly-kaye, I remember your pretty round table. I would definitely do square. A round table on a round rug looks so....round. Square will complement your table better. Your length and width of your DR are close enough that a square rug vs. a rectangle will look good in your space. I have the same situation in my DR.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Just throwing in an alternate opinion on rugs under tables. They are not very hygienic, and just thinking about all that dust collecting under a table puts me off. Just saying..,,I think tables without rugs in kitchens and dining rooms look much better and feel better.

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 7:38

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Okay, so as romy says your table is round. Now I have another question. Do you ever put leaves in it making oblong?

If so that could post a problem if you have either a square or round rug.

With that in mind I'd either go without or with a rectangle to fit the room itself. Then if you change to a rectangle table down the road you wouldn't have to change rugs too.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 10:54

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Another vote not to put a round table on a round rug. If your flooring is wood then I would go without a rug altogether.

If you have a neutral tiled floor, then I'd get a rug. And if you have little ones, do what I did. Put a sheet under their chair. :)

Violet, I have a large round Persian in my LR, and I love it! It's perfect for the space it's in. And it has a square drop leaf table on the center of the rug.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My table is round without the leaves and oblong with. We only use the table with extensions during the holidays but the point is well taken that with extensions an 8 square could be problematic.

I think for now I will skip using an area rug under the table because I am thinking that the width of the room is just not adequate to support the use of an area rug.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I like a square rug under a round table, as long as the proportions are right. I think a round rug under a round table only works in certain circumstances - a round room, or in a modern setting, for example, but otherwise I think it can look a little odd.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I prefer a round rug *only* with a round table. Maybe it's the symetry of the two round shapes. I've had a round table in the dining area for as long as I can remember and have never used any other shape. In the DR I have a rectangular table as well as rug. Guess it's what I seem to be attracted to.

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Hmm... I have the same problem Holly. I have a round table (54:"), with leaves used occasionally. I was going to put a round rug under it, because a rectangle rug doesn't do well in the bay window. The windows in the bay cut off the corners of the rug:(

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Linked are some 8 x 10 rugs. Of course I can't pick the right rug for you but this one has a similar pattern in 8 x 10. Other colors available.

Here is a link that might be useful: 8 x 10 rugs

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the rug you posted Snookums. Very pretty

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The floor that it is going on is Sapele hardwood. DH thinks we should go ahead and order a rug and if it doesn't work we can give it to DD.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I frequently need to add a leaf to the table as well as up to 4 extra chairs. It gets 'pretty close', and chairs are off the rug~the majority of the time there are 4 chairs, roughly 350 days a year. It's me who is looking at the table/rug 'set up' the most of the time, and it has to visually appeal to me. Sometimes a table/chairs gets lost if the rug is too big. Just my 2 cents.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture of the room? It'd be easier to help you decide.

If it has pretty wood flooring, I really wouldn't use the rug. I love the look of a clean wood floor under dining room tables.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I get home I will post some pics.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic from the working side of the kitchen to the dining side.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is from the dining side towards the working side.

• Virgo75
    10 years ago

Glad I stumbled on this. Same dilemma, except, I see that some of you think that you shouldn't put a rug on hardwood. However, as you can see, my round (72") table is a distressed black, and my wood flooring is a distressed gray. What is the rule in that case? Otherwise, the table just sort of blends in.

My decor in this picture is awful, and I'm changing it now.. I would want to replace the existing rug to a muted blue but I saw your comment that I shouldn't. What do you guys think?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

virgo - you might want to start your own thread, but your room and rug on your hardwoods look lovely. You'll read many different opinions here, but I've never heard a collective bias toward no rug in a dining room. It protects your hardwoods from chair legs and adds warmth and grounds the room, as well as adding sound baffling.

If you are looking for a new rug anyway, would you consider a slightly larger size? It looks as if some of your chair legs would not remain on the rug when someone pulls them out to be seated.

This post was edited by olychick on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 11:08

• Virgo75
    10 years ago

You are right, I should probably start a new thread :P
    I have considered larger, the chair remain on the rub when seated but you are right, some come off as you sit down on them.

Rugs are just so terribly expensive, especially once you go that large.

Thansk for responding!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

Holly Kay: I love your dining room, table and chairs. It looks like you have a 48 inch round table. I would do a round 8 foot rug just because more of your wood would would show as compared to an 8 foot square rug. I've seen some round rug patterns I liked, but some of the patterns definitely don't look good in a round rug. I would not order any round rug shown only in the rectangular pattern. I like rugs under a table if you can fit one.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgo, your room is lovely and I like it with the rug you have now. Rug prices really jump when you go larger.

Karenseb, the table is a bit odd. It looks round but I measured it yesterday. It is 48 x 52 without the leaf. I really wanted a rug so DH and I decided to go for it but instead of an 8 x8 square I chose a 6 x 9 that will look lovely in the foyer if the size doesn't work in the kitchen dining area. The 8 x8 would have been about six inches too wide for the foyer.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I thought for the sake of it, I would post a round rug with a round table I had in my former home. For this particular size and location of the dining round was pretty much the best option. IMHO

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love it! I have a black wrought iron and glass breakfast table at our other home and it's on a round rug also. I like the look of round on round.