Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Will she ever stop asking about curtains? Kitchen valance fabric

Jamie
10 years ago

My DR sheers have not arrived yet, but I'm going to assume that they'll be keepers.

I need some softening at the top of the kitchen window. Aside from the wall color, the only thing I need to coordinate with is the DR chairs. If possible, I want they eye to make a connection between the valances and the chairs, to join these two rooms. But the valances will be small and unobtrusive, so I'm not sure I can accomplish this - ?

DR and chair:

I could have Waverly Pastoral Plaid:

Or these linen ones.

I'm thinking the pink ones go better with the chairs, but the plaid will look better in the kitchen-- and go well enough with the chairs? So I'm leaning toward the plaid ones. The plaid has have every color in the world in them. I'm concerned that the background color of the pink ones - almost white - would do nothing to de-emphasize the color differences in my cabinets, trim color, and fridge, which are close but not the same.
Also, I had DH strip the windows in the kitchen because I wanted a more rustic, hardworking look in there than in the rest of the house. But the kitchen baseboards and doors are painted the trim color and will stay that way.

Your opinion?

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Of the 2, I prefer the linen.

You can go with even a bolder pattern...I might even go with a bolder color...there's so little color and pattern in your kitchen that the fabric can be stronger, especially if it's just a valance.

Maybe a check...

Or an ikat...

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the pastoral plaid or the color tones in Annie's. The pink in your linen valance is too bubble-gum and I think will make the kitchen read "girly" pink. Annie's check is nice...you could also do a tabel runner for the DR with whatever fabric you choose.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I agree with Annie, the pink linen.
    From the pictures, though, I doubt that people's eyes will ever take in the the chair and the valances at the same time. You would have to have a lot more pink around to make the connection. But it is a lovely fabric.

• sergeantcuff
    10 years ago

I'd go with the linen or something even bolder as suggested above. I really like the pastoral plaid but think its colors and details would be lost if used as a valance.

I enjoy reading your posts and seeing the progress you have made. You seem to be a very practical person, like me. Progress at my house is creeping.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Annie, where did you find those samples you posted?

I adore my kitchen window valance. Made it myself and I am very untalented in the sewing department. I wouldn't mind having another in my arsenal.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The fabric is from calico corners.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County