Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorichats

candy dish

lorichats
10 years ago

I just received a beautiful Michael Aram candy dish as a gift. It looks beautiful on the end table in my living room. But I can't keep it empty! Without sounding too silly, I must ask...do you put candy in a candy dish??

Comments (12)

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

How about some pretty marbles? The different colors would make it look like hard candy.

• rwhirley
    10 years ago

I always do but not wrapped candy. I like to put a bag of m&ms in my candy dish. It looks pretty and I can grab a few here and there:)

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Similar to what Jaysmom said, you could put a few Murano glass candy pieces in it (search for "Murano art glass candy" on eBay).

What about individually wrapped candies -- the Red Bird-brand red and white peppermint candies are really delicious! (I have found them in CVS stores.)

If you celebrate Christmas, what about some small but fancy ornaments? (If you celebrate Hannukah, litte dreidles!) After the holiday, you could fill the bowl with potpourri -- At Michael's crafts store, I have seen boxes of the floral pieces combined with dyed natural elements.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have wrapped candies in my candy bowl as they are rarely eaten. I keep mints in them for after dinner when we have co.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if it needs anything in it at all.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i usually put candy in too!! if you don't like having candy in your house, i don't think it would look terrible staying empty if it's a pretty bowl...
    or depending on it's shape, maybe dried flower/s or something?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Little pine cones?

I have felted acorns in a small bowl in my living room -- found them on Etsy.

Potpourri?

if I had candy in a bowl in my living room, I'd be refilling it every other day, probably. No one in my family could walk by a bowl of candy without stopping!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I think those candy dishes are way too pretty to put candy in them. I'd leave it empty or with Christmas coming, put some ornaments on it.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I've met Michael Aram a number of times (at signing events), and we always chat for a bit on those occasions. I can tell you first-hand, that Michael makes his pieces to not only look beautiful, but to be functional, and USED. He is genuinely thrilled to see pics of figs from our fig tree, sitting in our MA fig leaf basket.

If you like the look of your bowl empty, leave it on display as is. If you want to keep candy or whatever in it, on a regular basis, or only seasonally, or when guests are over, then do that. Your house, your candy dish, your choice! :)

We have some of MA's smaller bowls/dishes (one purchased, the others were gifts with purchases). We mostly store them in our buffet--we have other items (many from him!) on display at the moment. However, we do use these small dishes/bowls to hold olives or other tidbits, during dinner parties, or whenever. We wash them all by hand after using them, and enjoy seeing them on our table(s).

Yes, they do look "too pretty to use" but they can and should be if desired!

• lorichats
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. One thing I realize that there is no right or wrong. Not sure what I am doing yet, but I have now have great ideas. Cat mom...I once tried to meet Michael Aram at a Bloomingdales signing, but it was too crowded and I couldn't get near him. I love his pieces, for myself or to give as a gift!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Born2, would you please post a picture of your candy dish? I look every day to see if you have posted one.

• lorichats
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have trouble posting pics...but this is the link. Its MA New Molten Nut dish...oops-not candy!!!!!!!! http://www.michaelaram.com/nsite/iteminfo.aspx?hdid=143332&cid=Search&stext=nut dish

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022