Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottertail_gw

Are wallpaper borders out of style?

ottertail
15 years ago

I am considering putting a wallpaper border in my laundry. Are borders outdated?

Comments (46)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

It really depends on the style of your decor and what you like. How many people will really see your laundry room other than you? Of course, if you've decorated the rest of your home in Scandinavian modern.....

Ingrid

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

No! You should have what you like, and in a laundry room, anything goes. My laundry room is a childhood fantasy - a riot of pink woodwork and doors, filled with framed and unframed pictures of flowers, animals, women and children, a floral roman shade on the door, and faux flowers, mainly roses and peonies, everywhere. Not everyone's taste, but it makes me happy just to be there.

I probably would not put up a border of geese with little blue bows, though -- : > )

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

There are some amazingly beautiful borders out there and prices from $18 for a roll to $50 for a yard.
    I have one in a laundry room and like it a great deal. It's lovely.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am glad to hear that others are using them. This is a lake home with a fairly large laundry room. I found wide border that is a beach with a clothesline and swim suits and casual clothes hanging on it. I think it is fun.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Oye. I gotta say YES. Sorry guys. Way out of style.

That said, who the heck cares if you like it. I'm a huge fan of going whatever you want if you like it! UNLESS you're selling soon....

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Yes, they are hopelessly out of style. But who cares? Do what you like in your own home.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm sure border would be an Interior Designer's nightmare at the "moment". That said, I still have two areas in my home with border. The basement and my upstairs hall. I still like it and that's really all that counts. Here's a pic of my basement and I feel the border fits nicely with my "primitive, tacky" tavern style

basement.

• littledog
    15 years ago

I saw a fun wallpaper border in a laundromat in Bartlesville with sayings like; "Please emply your pockets" and "These jeans used to fit". The attendant had no idea where it came from, but it made me smile everytime I went in there.

Do what pleases you; anyone who automatically thinks wallpaper borders are "out" isn't familiar with Bradbury & Bradbury.

Sable, I for one would dearly love to see pictures of your fantasy laundry room; care to share?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bradbury & Bradbury

• igloochic
    15 years ago

They're hopelessly out of style. But it's your house, go ahead and do it...just take it down before you try to sell it.

If however you have a fabulous victorian or arts and crafts home, invest in bradbury...but if not...ehhhhsshhhh yuck, even if they're "cute" or maybe especially if they're cute.

By the way, my dining room chandelier has a rooster sitting in the middle of it....so take any decorating advice given with a grain of salt :OP

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Absolutely not!!!!
    Here's my laundry room, everyone loves the border paper on top of cabinet doors to...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

They have not been featured in decorating magazines for years, however, to each his own. I say decorate your house the way you want. But they are out of style in a huge way.
    The Bradbury papers are at least beautiful but if you use them wrong it won't matter anyway.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Border paper is very much in all the books, at wallpaper shops and online too, don't you think they would be discontinued and long gone if this was the case?

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

I agree with those who are saying go ahead, have what makes you happy even though they're not as popular as they once were. It's the laundry room, why not enjoy your view?

Susieq, I love your laundry room and wish mine looked even a little like it. I don't have wallpaper borders in my house, but if I saw one for my laundry room as much fun as the one you found, ottertail (a beach with a clothesline and swim suits etc. hanging on it), I would buy it in a minute. I do have a rustic little sign that says simply "laundry" with a few clotheslined items hanging on my wall, and if I find another whimsical sign I'll hang that one too. Life is short.

• windypoint
    15 years ago

Well they certainly aren't in style. So if you include one anywhere, a laundry room is the place for it. Nobody I know has ever rejected a potential house purchase or argued for a price reduction just because the laundry room was not decorated to their liking.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

I think " fun " borders add a bit of whimsy and maybe even the unexpected used in the right settings. Laundry Room borders are cute, and will add a casual style to that room.
    Ottertail - A bit off the topic - how did your kitchen back splash turn out? (I'm hoping I am remembering the right person and house.)

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

Littledog - Wish I could do that, but I haven't taken pictures of the room and have never tried to post anything! If in the next few weeks I get the vacuum cleaner, cans of paint, etc., out of there, I'll try to post. I wrote your name down to remind myself. Basically my goal is over-the-top Victoriana combined with family memorabilia; the idea is to feel happy while scrubbing out stains and folding, folding, folding.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

out of style - yes
    should you get them? - up to you
    wait a few more years and they will come back although in new colors/patterns/textures. big flowery design will not...

• piper101
    15 years ago

I say, forget about what's "IN" or what's "OUT". It's all relative to what you like (that is if you know what you like). 1/2 the stuff that is "IN" right now, I wouldn't have now or anytime in the future! Everyone that comes to my house really likes mine and I guess by today's standards it would be "OUT" (english garden/cottage etc.)
    I've used mine for just that little bit of something that still allows me to have artwork and stuff but until I had the "accessory stuff" and had nothing while I built up, my house didn't look bare and unfinished. I've sold homes extremely quickly 2 times with borders in the house. Granted in today's market I'd probably take it off to help beat out any competition etc. Really and truly, borders are easy to put up and with proper application, using paste that allows for easy stripping, it's not hard to "undo" them. Bottom line, do what you like, they generally aren't expensive, easy up and down and it's a small area. There is no big mistake here. More costly mistakes are made in other areas and this isn't one of them, so play a little and let us know how it comes out... Good luck. I'm kind of crass about it, but unless you are paying my bills, or taking care of me while I'm sick, you don't get a vote!

• kswl2
    15 years ago

Yes, they are outdated.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Border paper is very much in all the books, at wallpaper shops and online too, don't you think they would be discontinued and long gone if this was the case?

Lots of things that are widely considered to be out of style are still sold: vertical blinds, mini blinds, mauve carpeting. I could go on, but I would eventually hurt someone's feelings. I recently bought mini-blinds, knowing they were not fashionable.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I too think they're out of style, though I'm also of the opinion that your home should make *you* happy.

My biggest problem with borders is that they tend to look skimpy on a wall, and tend to cut a room in half. Your eye goes straight to the border, and it chops up the look of a room.

Also, the print (if the border has a print) is usually small and repetitive and to my eye looks like somebody hit "repeat" on a keyboard too many times. The design gets lost in the repetition.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Ok I went to a Big decorating website, I have used before, they sell everything in home decor. loads of wallpaper etc. clicked on kitchen & bath wallpaper...then (NEW Arrivals) they had 6 pages with border paper on each page here's a few of them...
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}} So I guess Ya'll don't know everything after all? and oh my! flowers to...or don't believe everything you read in magazines, they'd like to sell $100 a roll wallpaper before $15.00 a roll border paper any day as would your designers...

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Well, I guess you have shown us the error of our ways, susieq07.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

This forum isn't about "knowing everything" -- it's about sharing opinions. I too think that wallpaper borders are "out", but who cares? I happen to have any number of things in my home that aren't considered "stylish", but I like them and that's all that matters.

Presumably, Ottertail asked the question because she was truly interested in what others think. And she's received some excellent responses.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Antagonistic much? Again, just because something is for sale, doesn't mean that it's "in style". It's just means it's available.

To each his own. Some people think borders are dated while others think they're lovely. No point in trying to "prove or disprove" someone else's opinion wrong.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Trends come and go...doesn't mean they disappear altogether. As they wane, they can give a home a dated appearance. Around here, most oak cabinets are referred to as "80's oak". While this is a widely held sentiment, it doesn't mean a kitchen or bath cannot still be lovely with said cabs. Calling the borders dated has touched a nerve,it seems, but the question was posed. I am always relieved when such queries are honestly answered vs. tippy-toe-ing about. Not that honesty is always best. Some posts should be be kindly ignored. Just scroll on by. as the song sorta goes:>) I think the OP got what she asked for, and tactfully so as well. Nice.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Count me among those who think that wallpaper borders are past their prime.

But, I did not like borders even when they were THE thing, so I did not have them in my house.

Do what you like.

And I agree with reno fan..."Again, just because something is for sale, doesn't mean that it's "in style". It's just means it's available. "

• tinam61
    15 years ago

but I should not have been drinking when I read Graywing's response! Thanks for the laugh!!

tina

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

It seems that wallpaper in general is out of style as well.
    I have border paper in my new remodeled kitchen, I kept it up because I love it so much. Now I change things a lot, but something about this border paper makes me feel good, and that's why I still have it.
    I really don't worry too much about stuff being outdated, eventually it comes back in style. I'm still waiting for the little mink collars from the 50's to come back in style. When I was a kid my aunt gave me hers after it went out of style...I still have it in my drawer. When it comes back in style, I'm going to be the first lady on the block with one! haaaa!

Now, as far as we'all don't know everything after all...
    I have to disagree with that statement. We all have our opinions and we are entitled to them. That's what I love about this forum...we'all have strong opinions on just about everything, just ask us for an opinion and you'll get it!
    sidebar: I know we'all not a word :)

Joann

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Joann....honey that mink collar....it's in style and has been for a few years. Get it out silly....you're gonna miss this run of the trend soon!! (I have several of them) LOL

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Get Out!!! It's in style!?! See why we shouldn't be so concerned about whatz in and whatz not! I have to buy meself a nice new sweater to show it off! :)

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I am with the camp that says they are out of style--probably because I had them in my house for the past 10 years and only took them out 2 years ago. That said, I know from experience they were really easy to remove with a wallpaper steamer--nothing like removing a whole room covered with wallpaper, so if you find a border you like, by all means put it in and enjoy it! When you either tire of it or decide to sell, it should not be a big deal to remove it. Mine just peeled right off the wall with a bit of steam.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

You might get a flour bomb (a la Lindsay) if you wear that mink collar. I'm pretty much in the anti fur camp myself.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I hope not! I am finally getting to the point (paint and woodwork almost done) where I can hang the borders I bought almost 2 years ago in the bedrooms and bath! I got ocean border to go in bath, sports for ds's room, roses for dd's, and a soft gray/sage floral for MBR/MBA. Will just wait to put up valances in dd's room, border may not work there since only 1 ft from top of window to ceiling, may be overkill with valances, but she wants more decoration on the walls (flat Navajo White paint) and since there really is only 1 wall b/t closet and door to hang a picture, wallpaper seemed best. Chair rail height might be nice, but she has so much tall furniture it would just get lost. I'll have to post pictures and ask for help when the time comes. Ds has lower furniture, but might do built in bookcases so maybe should wait to hang border until we see if bookcases will go to ceiling. The thing I like about border is that it hides sloppy paint transitions (chair rail or wall/ceiling) without having the expense and pain of moulding!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Posted by littledog: Anyone who automatically thinks wallpaper borders are "out" isn't familiar with Bradbury & Bradbury. LINK

Wow! Those are some fabulous wallpapers! Thanks for the link to show them.

If you notice though, those wallpapers are all termed "vintage". There is a section for Victorian, Art Deco, Arts and Craft, Post War, ect. If a house is in that style, then yes, it should be decorated in that style, and that may mean doing wallpaper with borders like was done in the old days.

Notice too on that link that as the century progresses to Atomic Age, Tiki, Mod, ect. that no borders are offered to go with those styles of wall paper.

What I think is really "out of style" is a wallpaper border without wall paper - just a stripe going around the room. (Was that ever even a 'style'?)

But of course room that are utilitarian and do not have furniture, like laundry rooms, mudrooms, and finished garages, can 'get away' with whimsy like wallpaper borders.

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Yes they are. If you want one because you like them, definitely do not let this stop you from buying one, but do so knowing that it is dated.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

magothyrivergirl,
    The kitchen backsplash turned out great. Thanks to all of you who helped!

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Thank you ottertail - glad it turned out great for you!

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

Yes, borders are totally outdated. My parents just bought a house that had borders in baths and dining room. They saw past it and they were the first thing to go.

Now, I have to disagree with wallpaper being out of date. Well, I should say CHEAP wallpaper is out of date. VERY NICE wallpaper is really wonderful in the right room.

I do think a border in a laundry room is more acceptable.

• honeychild1
    15 years ago

Ottertail,

Do you love the border and is it something that will add to your enjoyment? I think you home is your castle and it should be decorated for you and your family's enjoyment.

Here's my own "It's Out of Style" faux pas:

My DH and I recently built and moved into a new home. I used brass for my door hardware (balwin brass), my kitchen hardware and my lamps (vintage stiffel)/lighting (waterford). I love the warmth of brass (not the yellow, shinny, fake stuff) and I love how it fits in with my tradtional decor. Now, I'm sure there are some who would walk in my home and say to themselves (and a few even out loud), "Why did she put out of style brass in her new house?" While others would say, "I love that you went with the brass" and would admire me for going with what I like. My friends like me for who I am and appreciate the fact I beat to my own drum. Bottom line, brass is what was right for me and my family.

Add the border! Get on the bandwagon! Start decorating to your own beat!

P.S. I used chrome fixtures in my bathrooms:-0 They look perfect with my silver vanity pieces, but that's another story for another post.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Joann, wear it and enjoy it :) Most people are polite enough to have an opinion about fur now adays, but they aren't evil enough to assult you. I wear them, my husband wears one and my son is freaking adorable in his little fur parka :) Even in the lower 48, no one ever threw flour at any of us!

Enjoy the silly thing...they're fabulous, and most educated folks know that mink died many years ago so it can't be saved :oP

But please, don't put up a wallpaper boarder...I throw flour at those :oP (KIDDING!!! Wine works better)

• pdg777
    15 years ago

"My DH and I recently built and moved into a new home. I used brass for my door hardware (balwin brass), my kitchen hardware and my lamps (vintage stiffel)/lighting (waterford)."

I love brass also and will probably have it -- well, forever! My auntie who passed away in April had an antique brass bed that belonged to her mother, my grandmother. I can remember helping her polishing it for which I was paid the hefty sum of 25 cents! Nobody in the family wants it! I wish I had room for it ... I can't believe that bed is probably going to be a goodwill pick up when my Auntie's house is finally cleared out.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I don't put brass in the same category as wallpaper borders as a fad. The fad is in banishing the brass!
    (Owner of a brass bed speaking here.)

pdg - brass beds can be broken down and stored in a relatively small space.

• Eliza_ann_ca
    15 years ago

I have a huge laundry room in our new(old) home.It does have a wallpaper border.Normally I don't care for them.but plan to keep this and add narrow moulding at the top and bottom edges...this is something I did in a former home.and it gives the border a more finished look.
    I say it's your home,and do whatever makes you happy.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

As a school teacher, we have a saying about all the new teaching "theories". The "pendulum" will swing back. Home decor is the same. What we love, our children will hate. Our home has shiny brass and I have no plans on replacing it. I have changed out some knobs and pulls to ORB, because IMO they compliment each other with their warm colors. Also I'm sure that the ORB fixtures will be dated much sooner than chrome or brass. They are really classics, but the ORB is just a trend. Okay, I'm ready to admit to all my faux paus:
    Dark Stained wood trim in FR and kitchen (which also has chair rail)
    Floral Wallpaper and yes borders.
    Shiny brass fixtures
    Shiny ceramic tile kitchen backsplash
    Floral Valences in kitchen
    Ceiling Fans
    1970's framed prints and my 1970's end tables in basement
    OMG, I've turned into my grandmother--is this a bad thing?