Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Now my cute screen porch is sad...

Sueb20
10 years ago

We put up the storm windows in the porch and brought in the few houseplants that were out there, since it's cold these days in the Boston area. We won't be using the porch really until spring now, because it's not heated. However, we can still see it from the kitchen window, and we pass through it a lot to let the dogs out. I'm trying to think of ways to pretty it up during the "off season." Are there any container plants that can handle New England cold?

When it gets closer to the holidays, I'm thinking about putting a small Christmas tree out there. But during the next month and from Jan. to April, I'm looking for other ideas. I'm probably overthinking it, but it's still a new space for us and we enjoyed it so much all summer and early fall, it just seems like a sad space now!

Comments (17)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I know how you feel, we just put boards on our screened porch at the lake house, now we're home (south of Boston) and I can enjoy my sun room as a substitute. It did make me feel sad leaving Maine. I don't go up in the winter but my sons go skiing and snowmobiling. Yes put a Xmas tree and maybe even lights out there, why not.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I hear ya. We have 2 huge hanging ferns in our small porch and when we bring them in for the winter, the space suddenly seems lifeless. No ideas for right now, but I always buy a couple of wreaths made from real trees and hang those for the holidays. I like the simplicity and, of course, the green. I keep them up until the end of Feb. when you can smell spring coming.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I can't think of anything live to put out there that would survive, so you're left with dried or evergreen branches can last a long time or something artificial or something manmade...like maybe a sculpture that can be lit at night...

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Same here, but my front porch isn't screened but a nice size. I put all of our colorful plants in the greenhouse but now everything is just bare. I sit out there every morning in the cold drinking my coffee.

Whatever is put there needs to have a bit of color, IMO. Maybe a large, colorful bowl filled with orbs for the coffee table.

One thing I did was put my crocks in the planter for the winter. Looks nice.

Hope more suggestions come!

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Even evergreens in pots would probably not survive the cold. Pots have to be super insulated against the cold. Think- surrounded by bales of hay, packed tightly with leaves, etc. What about a grouping of those prelit rustic Chrismas trees. Decorated for the holidays and then just lit for the rest of the winter? You could put a sled or toboggan, some antique ice skates etc. Maybe some would consider it too kitchy.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Using items that evoke a feeling of warmth might make this room feel welcoming and 'cuter'. Such items as lanterns, candles, an electric lamp on a timer, quilts hanging on walls or draped over furniture, wool blankets on furniture, soft pillows in bright colors, even a rug on the floor will make the room seem as if it's a cozy place to be even if it's never used. Twigs or coniferous branches arranged in pots or urns might sub for plants and tiny lights will add a nice accent. None of these items need to be seasonal decor and any color scheme would work altho neutral would work less well IMO for that 'warm' feeling. Color is what is needed and should be coordinated with nearby rooms.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel better already... This morning I dragged up the rug that I bought last spring, before the porch was even completed, but I obviously have a procrastination problem...it's been laid out in the basement for months! Tomorrow I'm sure I'll regret dragging that rug up and moving the furniture myself. My back has been wonky lately....

Anyway, then I took the pumpkins that I had inside and put them in that wire/metal urn thing (what are those things called?) and parked it on the coffee table.

This will probably hold me until it's time to do a Christmas blast out there!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Sueb, it looks wonderful, the rug is great. How about a huge bowl of pinecones. I think it looks very inviting with the rug.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

looks cozy!

• deegw
    10 years ago

Is there anyplace you can put some twinkly lights? I love when people find a nice, unexpected place for a small, cheery light display.

The rug looks great.

• lindainct
    10 years ago

Our porch screens/windows are similar to yours. If the day is not too cold and is not windy and the sun is shining, it is very pleasant there for well into the heating season. Our porch is on the side of the house so we put up a large tree decorated with little white lights and all my nature and gardening ornaments. We also decorate the rest of the space for Christmas. The tree can be seen from the street and when we entertain we open the door from the house and use two space heaters. There are always people on the porch looking at the tree and enjoying some hot cider that we serve on the porch. If it happens to be snowing, we turn on the out side lights and it is beautiful looking out.
    Enjoy your porch for as long as possible.
    Linda

• lindainct
    10 years ago

delete duplicate

This post was edited by lindainct on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 15:20

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Grapevine branches (not with leaves/grapes) and small lights on them. Either just over the top of widows or within their boundary. I know of places here that actually have this all year. Have always wanted to do this, maybe now is the time.

• User
    7 years ago

Do you mind me asking what screen / storm system you used? We are also in MA and are building a screen porch and want to have storms for the openings.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Truey, our contractor actually used screen/storm doors (just the door, of course, no door hardware on them). I think they're Anderson? So easy to switch out the screens/storms. We have a custom screen porch, also with storms, at our beach house, all wood, and those are much harder to switch. The metal is less charming and quaint, I guess, but very practical!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH