Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopmom_gw

Help with dining room chandelier

hopmom
10 years ago

I'm looking for some help choosing a chandelier for my dining room. I want something simple and elegant -- that won't overpower a fairly small space. The room is 13 x 13 with 7.5 foot ceilings. Very poor pictures taken at night with my phone. Walls are BM Cape Hatteras Sand (a taupe/gray), end chairs are covered in a blue/cream paisley (Ethan Allen) and side chairs in cream.

The furniture is a recent purchase (year ago) from Ethan Allen -- the Cameron trestle table (measures 42 w x 86", 30 h).

The two chandeliers that I keep going back to are:

The Pottery Barn Celeste chandelier measures 22" diameter x 21" high and

The Murray Feiss Aura 6-light (also known as Ballards Adrian) measures 27" h x 26 -7/8 diameter.

Any thoughts on size, shape and scale would be helpful.

(Also need to choose a rug and window panels...)

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Celeste

This post was edited by hopmom on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 21:32

Comments (14)

• hopmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of the table and a link to the murray feiss chandelier:

Here is a link that might be useful: Murray Feiss Aura

• hopmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another picture of the room

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Your room is really beautiful. I like the PB Celeste, but that's just me.

• hopmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and here are some of the chandeliers I like -- thoughts?

• oklahomarose
    10 years ago

Hi. Your room is beautiful. I love the Pottery Barn Bellora chandelier (I know it's not in the running) for its mix of elegance and rustic-ness. I have it in my own cottage and in several of my higher end rentals. Good luck finding just the right fixture.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I prefer the Murray F., but my first thought when I saw your room was capiz shell. Sorry I don't have any links. Love your chairs and table.

• hopmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

daisychain, the 4th chandy bottom right is a Murray Feiss with capiz shells. I really wish I could see that one in person. I do like the capiz shell styles, but wonder if they are too beachy...

Oklahomarose -- I'll take another look at the Bellora -- again, sure wish PB had these chandys in the store.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Of the four chandeliers, I think the one in the bottom right captures the feeling of your room best. It's sleek and elegant, but with a touch of whimsy. The others are a little fussier (although lovely) and I don't think the darkened brass color of the Aura goes as well with your room as the black.

• hopmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Top right is definitely out of the running -- I saw that one yesterday and it is just too much.

The color on Feiss on bottom left is called "antiqued silver" but it has more of a brownish finish -- not as brassy as it appears.

I am intrigued by the capiz shells...oh, what's a girl to do?...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What about a rectangular chandelier?
    West Elm, currently on sale for 279.00

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Try googling "capiz shell chandelier" some are quite elegant and not beachy at all.

I love the west elm one and also quite like the murray feiss.

• hopmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom & Daisy, I do like the West Elm fixture, but my husband is not crazy about the capiz shells (too 70s!). I like the rectangular shape -- I had thought about the PB crystal one in that same shape, but again hubby gave it thumbs down.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I like the Pottery barn, the first one, the best. It has a more interesting shape with the lights in the upper half. I think it will look super in your lovely dining room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I vote for the bottom right. It's a bit different without veering to whacky.