Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

I ordered a banquette/breakfast nook table

chloenkitty
9 years ago

I found a table on overstock I hope fits well into the banquette area of our new house. Let me know what you think. Our cabinets are white,the booth seating is white and our floors are a dark distressed hickory. I know this tabletop is a light color, but what do you think? I couldn't beat the price, was around $340. Someone even asked on the site if the top could be sanded and stained and the reply was yes. Perhaps the light color wood will look nice, if not, for that price, I can stain the top.

A local furniture maker came to the house on Saturday and said he would make a pedestal table with a Corian top (his suggestion) but I have not heard back from him yet on the price. I have a very strong feeling the price will be high. Hopefully this table will work and I will have come away with a good price :-) let me know if you think this was a good choice. Thank you

Comments (13)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I considered this table as well but think the first pic is a better choice

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love the chrome table but you made the better choice. Good job.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

If it hasn't shipped yet
    Wayfair has it for $248.00.
    As far as a banquette goes ~ I pictured more of a rectangle shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wayfair.com/TMS-Farmhouse-Dining-Table-TXR1243.html

This post was edited by forboystoo on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 0:53

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Since it's ordered, yes, I think it will be fine. I see tables like that on craig's list all the time. In fact, I have two I like the style so much. The only draw back is that the ends aren't terribly stable when the leaf is in. It's ok for adults, but I can't put my sewing machine on the end without it sagging.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

It depends on the size of your banquette space, but I agree the oval will seat more people. You will like the rounded corners..I never understood the rectangle--sliders when getting in, often have to be careful not to get jabbed with the corners of rectangles. It is an unusual choice but a GREAT one!!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was my thought process when buying it: everyone on etsy wanted $1,500 and up. I understand it's custom, but to me, that's just too muchnfornthe table, no chairs, etc.me just a table. The local gentleman I had come look at the space, I have a feeling he's going to be costly as well. Perhaps a nice custom table will be better, but I find that as we are reaching the homestretch of this new build and moving in next week, funds are getting very low. If I can go for even a year with this table as a temporary thing and save for a new custom one, at least I will have a table for now.

What are your thoughts of the light top because I have dark floors?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I'm afraid I find the use of an oval in your space a bit odd ... Are you sure it even fits. I also think the light top will not look right.

I know that's not what you want to hear but you did ask, and I'm being honest in case you can still cancel your order. Otherwise I'd have said nothing.

• User
    9 years ago

The light top would definitely bother me in the context of your kitchen finishes. I can't speak to the shape but the table looks a little large for the space--- although that's difficult to judge in photos without scale.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forboystoo, I called overstock and they are refunding me the difference, thank you.

Kswl and mtn, I have no way of knowing if oval Will look appropriate or not, but I did go and look at some photos online and it seemed to look nice. Again, this may just be a temporary fix and for $200, I can live with it for a while until I can sacrifice the $1500-$2000 some people are asking for just a table. Seems like it might work as a temporary fix. I guess we shall see :) I will send pics when it arrives.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I hope it works out. We've all been there!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Hmmm.....as other's have suggested, oval may not be the best fit. Have you not considering a rectangular shape?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Hey Cloenkitten~ Good to hear !!

Let's face it ,for the cost you can now breath a little .
    If it's not meant to be... no big loss.

You can take your time and shop around for that "I can't live without item" without the rush of "we have no where to sit".

Also, if you choose another shape you'll already have a base :)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Foyboystoo I thought about that! I really wanted a Corian top and couldn't find a bottom for what the entire table cost. So perhaps I could take the top off and have Corian attached. I don't mind that it is oval as I have seen oval ones in other pictures, however it may not look right when it arrives, I just have to wait and see. If I like it but I do not like the light color top with my dark floors, I will stain it. However, I must not forget, that my floors are also dark in my dining room and I got a natural color reclaimed wood dining room table and it looks fine. For $200 I am not considering it a loss and it's the exact size I need so hopefully it works.