Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

LR/DR wall conundrum, questions

Gooster
10 years ago

I'm back asking questions about this room again, which I've posed (to many helpful replies) in several threads over the last couple of months. We're all on the countdown to T-day and like others, I'm working to get this room acceptable.

The new formal LR/DR was carved out of the old LR; the old DR became part of the kitchen and the little used formal LR was scaled back. This resulted in a clash of styles (very traditional DR) and (a more moderne/art deco leaning LR).

In part thanks to various inputs, I've swapped out the rug, the occasional tables, the end chairs, lighting, and the drapes. The house was shopped for repurposed items and the surfaces decluttered. The big pieces (DR set, sofa, chaise) have stayed the same.

Here's the current DR area.

The mirror was painted over (see another thread). The position is up for debate. Should it be on the short wall with a larger piece (or pieces of art) on the long wall? Or should it stay on the long wall with something on either side? I think sconces are out as there is not enough depth behind the dining table. I thought about smaller paired art pieces or perhaps some fretwork or even applied moulding that echos the chandy.

teacats suggested swapping it over the FP, but I have a lot of mirrored surfaces there and wanted to keep a mirror on the DR side.

I think the server is too large and too traditional. Any suggestions on a replacement?

Here's two shots of the LR side -- the drapes (dupioni silk, inverted pleat) just got hung this week. They are really tough to iron out! I read in an old thread that people send these out to get professionally pressed. I think I'm out of time. How do I finish the ends? Does the little last flap hook onto the wall (with some type of eye hook?)?

And the corner window.

I am also not 100% happy with the lamps or the overall lighting on this side. The whole "builtin" thread got me thinking I need to declutter even more. And, overall, the look is a bit formal even for a formal LR/DR. Does it look too formal? Also, does this side come off as still cramped with furniture?

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 21:27

Comments (24)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I just love your living room.

It is just so relaxed, beautiful, inviting, and polished but restful at the same time. Great job!

In the DR, I like there mirror where it is as I like what it reflects. If you move it, evaluate that in the decision. I don't think it necessarily needs anything on the flanking sides.

I think the proportions could be improve by putting some bulkier items on the server. Since you are going for less formality, consider hand thrown pottery; a pitcher or textured basket set with wine glasses and wine bottles. I think some objects on the serve with more hight would help unify the art and the server together to give more vertical weight to that side of the DR which it seems to be lacking, at least in these head shots.
    I also think a textured linen table runner and something interesting in the center of the table, maybe a large platter, would look nice to try.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Overall, it's looking good.

I think a few tweaks will help. I think the buffet looks fine, but I would move it closer to the wall a tad so it's centered between the edge of the drape and the wall. (Or at least that's how it looks in the picture.) I would then look to add 2 tall buffet lamps which would help with balancing the mass of the buffet and help light the corner and the artwork.

I would try swapping the mirror and the picture over the fp just to see...the pic looks large for the fp and the mirror being round doesn't quite fill the rectangular wall space.

The corner with the chaise....the chaise looks angled away from the conversation and the room whereas I think it would look better angled in. I would also consider eliminating the table in the corner which does look out of place, add a floor lamp and then next to the chaise by the fp, within reach, a small decorative round table ...maybe like a chinese garden stool... that would be functional for a glass or a book when using the chaise.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

juliekcmo: Thanks so much!

I should have posted a key picture of the dining room, it shows the mirror on the far wall:

When viewed head on, there seems to be a lot of space on either side. When I first painted the mirror to change the color, I posted and we all thought the mirror was underscaled. It may also be a bit high and not centered, as I have not moved it from its original, pre-DR location.

I'm not wedded to the picture over the server. It could easily go in the FR. It was a placeholder until I found some original art that I liked. You two are so right, I need more height here.

AnnieD: Thanks so much as well!

Here's a better picture that summarizes the issue with the server:

Currently, it is lined up with the table and the light. But, it butts up next to the drapery. If I scoot it over, it is off center. This is why I think I need a smaller server. Buffet lamps are a great idea to add the height.

Here's a better picture of the chaise wall. There currently is a table in the corner and the black drum to the right, and the very contemporary hoop chair. I hadn't thought of pushing the chaise further back into the corner and using a table in front. I guess I'm stuck in an old paradigm.

It certainly looks more crowded in the photo than IRL.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I don't think you need a smaller server. I think if you scoot over toward the corner, but then when placing objects on it put the taller ones to the left to balance the drapes on the right, that it will look just great.

Functionally a smaller server is not of much use unless you get something deeper. And if it is too small to be useful, then I think it can end up looking like something that just was stuck in place instead of chosen.

OH, yes what you need is called a drapery pin for the ends. It hooks literally into the fabric, and then hangs on the rod (usually there is a very small hole) to mount the ends to the rod, or sometimes on the bracket itself. If you can't find one or the rod doesn't have a hole, then I recommend sewing a small ring on the top edge corner of the drapery, and then tie through it to the end or bracket of the drapery rod.

Also consider lowering the round mirror just a bit. Suggest removing it from where it is now, and cutting out with newspaper and taping up the paper first to see how it looks before nailing and patching holes.

But I think that will be lovely to have some mirrored view seated at the table.

Also while you're at it, might as well see how it looks by switching the mirror and the picture at the server.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I'd eat there! What time is dinner?

The wall with the mirror is a bit bare ... but it takes time to find the right things to set the mirror off. Unless you are a pro decorator with a rolodex full of fabulous little shops and sources, pause here and go have a nice Thanksgiving.

Resume after the holidays.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear, I wouldn't push the chaise back into the corner. I'd angle it toward the room instead of away from it, and I might even pull it in a little closer so that if someone is sitting there, they can feel part of the conversation.

Also, as it is, the server isn't lined up with the table and it doesn't have to be, so go with it and center it on the wall space.

Looking at the DR straight on, I'd love to see a tall plant in the corner by the doorway to help fill that side of the space.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think both rooms are lovely! Agree with Annie that a large plant (potted palm) would look nice in the DR. I would also try swapping the picture over the fireplace with the mirror....agree also about buffet lamps or some tall vases on the server and angling the chaise in. It's very warm and inviting....and I love how you dressed the built-in.

Is that bowl on your dining room table one of a kind? If not, can I ask where you purchased it? Also, the coral pillows on your sofa. Thanks...and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I know a lot of folks don't like an accent wall, but my Mom's condo had a similar set up with the DR open to the LR. What we did was use the same window treatments in both and the same wall color for most of the walls, but the far end of the LR we painted one color (from the drapes) and the wall opposite in the DR we painted another color. It made the two rooms feel more distinct. And especially as you don't have a lot of room to furnish the wall in the DR, you might "furnish" it with color.

Here is PPG orange vermillion to match your vase

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here is ppg sesame crunch to match your buffet runner

(Please ignore the dot on the wall...an artifact of the software)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You might also consider that, right now, the light fixture blocks the mirror and you don't get to enjoy it. From this angle, if you had 2 pictures or whatever on the wall, spaced maybe 18" apart flanking the light fixture, it would help decorate the wall.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Love Annie's suggestions, i.e. accent wall and spacing art work -- if that looks like there's a hole then, put something smaller in between, which will be blocked, but at least you have pieces left and right of the ceiling fixture.

I'd scoot the buffet closer to the corner. If it's far enough, it won't matter that it doesn't line up with the table. I'd put the mirror over the buffet, 2 table lamps on the buffet.
    You said that you thought it was too formal looking. I can't tell how "nice" the wood is, but would this piece be suitable for painting?

However, overall, I really love your DR and LR.. Perfect combination of serene and cozy!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all, again. I'll be trying some of the ideas out on repositoning and rehanging, and see what works.

AnnieD: Thanks so much for the mockups. I'll try repositioning the chaise and the chairs to improve the conversation zone. I was actually thinking about an accent wall and even got some similar paint chips, but I was concerned with going so bold when the other half is so muted.

I was thinking I could instead use a patterned wallpaper or even inset them in panels (or pairs of panels) like this, except more monochromatic, on either side of the mirror or in lieu of the mirror:

[Eclectic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104) by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators maison21

There is a lot of architectural detail on one end of the room I think it makes the opposite wall look rather plain,

lazygardens: I do want to take my time, but I'll take one more shot in SF this weekend. I just want to get it all presentable -- but since the table will be dressed and the server covered with food I have some time to source those items.

joaniepoanie: the vase is an older Baccarat piece that is now a retired design. the pillows are also older and haven't found a current source for anything similar, though Ballard Designs has something close.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Gooster, your space is looking smashing! I love your idea of three wall papered panels. That would really complement what you already have. I am still just swooning over your lovely chair!

I agree that you should move the buffet over to center it on the wall. Love, love, love your drapes!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

HK

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

What strikes me is that the DR area feels a bit naked when compared to the rather lush and detailed LR. How about a rug under the dining table and chairs? And maybe a runner on the table?

I also wonder why the pic over the fireplace isn't hung on the wall rather than propped? I think it would look better hung on the wall within that recessed area.

I think the sideboard is okay...but wonder about a piece with a little more glam...not that I have any specific suggestions.

Love the idea of the framed wallpaper pieces to fill up that wall a bit. Hello Annie -- don't you have something like that in your house?

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

I noticed the same thing as annie, that when you look at the wall full on the chandy and mirror overlap, diminishing my view of each one.

Love the fireplace art!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Sueb20 said what I felt, that the dining area seems bare compared to the living area (which is lovely). But painting the wall the darker color like Annie showed did a lot to change that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yes sueb, I do...thank you for remembering!

But in gooster's case, I prefer the simplicity of the wall color with her room style, and if she gets a green plant against either of those wall colors, it will look fabulous. In her case, I really like the way the light fixture stands out and wouldn't want to detract from it.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay: Thanks! I'm very pleased with the drapes after following AnnieD's WT thread!. They are a bear to iron -- I'll need to figure how much wrinkling I can live with. And chair finally has a new home how that Hollywood Regency is creeping into the lower level of the house.

sueb: I'll definitely try out a runner, perhaps linen like juliekcmo suggested. I originally was going to get a rug under the dining room (there was an existing one), but thought the open area was a way to separate the spaces. I have been checking out some more glam sideboards, as the hutch is very traditional. I could also go with a console table there and move the server/sideboard to the other wall.

kiki/marti8a/AnnieD: Yes, that chandy does seem to disappear. I was concerned with color on the wall but I should trial out some color. I could also do framed panels but in a solid color. I thought about pulling out the design in the chandy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It's such a small wall, I'm not sure I would like it broken up with framed panels, esp if they are solid blocks. If you want to go with lattice wallpaper, maybe do the entire wall as an accent. It really won't take a lot of paper.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

Nothing to add but I have really enjoyed watching you pull these rooms together over the last few months. I hope you take a minute to pat your self on the back for a job well done.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks madeyna!

I'm back after a T-day break, thinking and planning.

I've selected a rust color (from BM Affinity) and located examples of the existing wall (BM Affinity Etiquette) and trim color (the wall is looking dark in my sample board, though). I've found about four trellis papers. I've also found some buffet lamps that might work.

C is the Wearstler Schumacher Imperial print; D is by Schumacher and is what is on the rug (PB must have ripped them off). B is York and is much less expensive. A is Candice Olsen, I think.

I've never done papering, so I'm thinking I'd have to hire that out. I also found some nice stencils, but what are people's thoughts on those?

This post was edited by gooster on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 1:08

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Of the trellis papers, I think I like B best as the trellis color matches the wall. Are you painting the wall and papering panels? Or are you debating between a full wall of paper or paint?

Wallpapering is actually fairly easy to do, esp with the pre-pasted stuff. And especially if you're doing just one wall..no corners to deal with. You just have to be sure to book the paper to activate the glue, line up the pattern, don't overlap seams but butt them, smooth out all air bubbles, and change the blade with every sheet you cut (they have snap-off blades so it's very easy to do). We've actually had very good luck using just the roller part of a paint roller to smooth...it allows you to apply pressure without scratching the paper. I'm sure there are videos on line demonstrating.

I think wallpapering would be faster than stenciling. There have been a few posters who have done a nice job of stenciling, but that takes time and patience, esp when you're near the ceiling and the corners. Perhaps one of them will chime in with more info on that.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like the wallpaper B the best.
    I am not a fan of the colored wall, I find it to jarring for such a pretty room.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AnnieD: I should have explained. I was thinking of either painting the wall the rust color or papering the entire wall. I suppose panels could be an option as well.

I too like B the most, but we'll probably have to see what the samples look like IRL to see how the colors align to the existing colors.