Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaysgrl99

Desparate Need of Help Fam Rm Window/Door

Jackie Kennedy
9 years ago

Hi there,

You all have been so helpful with one another so I'd like to request some help. I have a thing for symmetry and have done much to my liking with our home being built. However, I don't know WHAT I was thinking when it comes to the family room. I have one French door which will lead out to a deck and one 3050 window. Originally I had 2 doors planned which will flank a fireplace in between (not yet installed). However somewhere along the way, my attention focused on other things and I never addressed the unevenness of the window and door. Does anyone have any decorating suggestions? Changing this is NOT an option unfortunately. I'm hoping I am making a mountain out of a molehill but it's really starting to bug me. All suggestions are most appreciated! Thanks ever so much!!

Comments (12)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Could you put a mirror that looks like a window over the door to match the height of the window?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Any chance you could add a transom over the door?

I suspect that when you get to living in this room and have added furniture and art, that you will be able to minimize the differences. You could do built in bookcases on that wall and/or use window coverings to disguise the differences, too.

• mattandrews
    9 years ago

I have found this idea of making a french door for a family room that leads to a balcony. You can add curtains associated with the pattern and the color of the house, and you may also add some retractable screens.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I just saw this on pinterest....might be an idea to consider...

• amykath
    9 years ago

You could put a pretty plaque over the door for visual height. Here is a mock up. Might be something you do not like, but might give you ideas?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Aktillery...just a compliment. You definitely came up with a great solution. And so easy to replicate for options in colors, fabrics.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Thank you so much technicolor!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Part of symmetry is balance.

With the location of the door and window, have what is in-between flow upwards from left to right. This will help the eye keep moving in an organic way through the room.

So if there is a mantle between them, have slightly taller but less visually-weighty objects on the right side, and slightly lower but more visually weighted objects on the left. If the overall mantle space is balanced in visual weight, I fell that this will extend visually to across the entire wall with the door and window.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I had the same thought as Olychick, to add a transom window over the door to bring it up to the height of the window.

• Jackie Kennedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THIS is why I love this forum!!! You all are such a wealth of information. Thank you kindly for all of your creative suggestions/resolutions. I have asked the builder to see if they can add a transom (thx Olychick) above the door to at least bring it to the height of the window. If not.....Aktillery....I'll definitely be using your great suggestion! Thanks again!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Plus, transoms are so pretty.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Might not be able to do the transom now--the header's already in. But worth asking.

Aktilley's idea can be executed with 2 Roman shades instead of a plaque as well.

But I wouldn't panic. You're seeing nothing in the room now but the fenestration. Wait until things start going into the room. Your furnishings won't be symmetrical, either, because you have to leave a clear pathway on the left.