Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Who to hire to hang photo gallery on stairway wall?

mybrowneyedgirls
10 years ago

I would like to do an art/ photo gallery on my stairway wall. The ceilings are about 14 ft high, although I won't go all the way to the top. Once I have all of the frames and know what I want the layout to look like, who do I hire to hang this for me? I hear there are professionals who have stairway ladders and can do this,, but I have no idea who? Surely not just a general handyman. Who is this/what is this person called? Sorry if the answer is obvious!

Comments (11)

• theclose
    10 years ago

We recently moved into a new home and I googled "art installer". He was wonderful! In 4 hours he had everything hung, including a gallery wall which took a bit to lay out. He brought all his own materials, so I didn't have to supply hooks, etc. Well worth every penny! Not sure where you are located but I am in the NYC area if you need a rec.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I am in Columbus, Ohio but I will try your google search ;)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

If you live in a major metro area a google search will likely yield results.
    When we lived in St Louis and had some artwork to hang that we couldn't do ourselves, we got a recommendation from our realtor.
    I would think that someone who stages houses for real estate sales would have a recommendation for you.

• User
    10 years ago

Who's gonna dust all of that? Change the light bulb in the fixture that lights it? As the homeowner, you need to own a ladder that can help you do all of that, and once you do own that, YOU can do the installation yourself. With a stairway and an extension ladder, you can do some simple boards for scaffolding. And then be able to do that again when you need to get up there to dust the tops and clean the glass on the art.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Dusting things is easy with a telescoping duster :)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

OT, but every time I see your name -- browneyedgirls - I am humming Van Morrison for hours.Sha la la la la la la .... la dee dah!

I can't hang two pictures together and make them even to save my life. Hope you find someone to help.

• User
    10 years ago

Extension light bulb changer...we have one for our 12 ft ceilings...best thing since sliced bread ! The measuring to hang multiple art pieces is NOT for the average person. I don't care how many ladders and hangers and calculators you have....it is almost impossible to do correctly without some expertise in hanging groupings.

Here is a link that might be useful: only $20

• KelliC
    10 years ago

I have 12.5 foot vaulted ceilings and have painted everything and hung everything on my own. If I had the money to hire someone, I would! In fact, I have a flushmount light 12.5 feet up that I will be hiring someone to change out. I have an extension light bulb changer, and I have attached my swiffer duster to it before.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

What a great idea to hire someone to hang artwork/framed photos.

Wish I had done that.

• marys235
    10 years ago

I just started calling frame shops and asking if they knew any professional art hangers, and got a recommendation to one that way. I had a very heavy mirror I needed to hang that I could not do on my own, and had tried google and the yellow pages, but no one was listed specifically for that in my area.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Another suggestion might be a painter. I've done all of my own painting of my home's interiors, except for my 2-story stairwell. I didn't want to buy scaffolding, so I paid a painter who was recommended. This guy had a great eye for detail, as many painters do. And, of course, he had the equipment!