Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

1925 bungalow exterior painted; tying it all together?

equest17
12 years ago

I posted a few months ago about trim colors for the exterior of my old brick bungalow. We were planning to do shake siding on the dormer at the time, but we got a great quote on repairing the existing clapboards (and all the fascia and trim that needed work) from our painters, so we went with that. I struggled with paint colors and did plenty of testers to find something that worked with the brick. I used SW Link Gray for the siding and SW Rice Grain for the trim.

Before

After

After

After (in the late afternoon sun)

After all the fussing with paint color samples, the siding still isn't exactly what I pictured 100% of the time. In cloudy or indirect light, it's just right. But it gets a bit washed out and blueish in direct sun. It's unlikely I would have found a color that was perfect in all light because of the various exposures, but I was hoping for a bit more green during the strong daylight.

I think I need to tie the siding color to the brick with some accents of each interposed on the other. I'm planning to build some window boxes with brackets for the upper triple windows on the dormer and gable ends, and I'm thinking those could be painted brick red. Then, maybe I could find (or paint) some large planters the same blue-gray-green of the siding for the front porch steps. I think this would provide the visual connection between the colors that is missing right now.

Window box idea, but closer to my brick color:

Glazed blue-green planter examples:

I'm still shaping and amending the foundation beds, but there will be weeping holly, abelia, and a mass planting of Calisto Indian Hawthorne on each side of the steps. The Calisto has a deep, almost blue-green leaf, so I think that will also help bridge the house palette.

What do you think? Any suggestions or other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Calisto Indian Hawthorn pic

Comments (8)

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know, motherof3, after I posted this, I started thinking that maybe black window boxes would look good, too! The lamppost that you can see in the first "after" picture is almost black (very dark ORB), and I have a matching light to mount on the porch ceiling. Those touches of black might be just right. I'm trying to avoid something overly cute, and the red window boxes might look too cottagey. If I plant red dragonwing begonias and other dark red plants in the boxes, maybe that would give me the color tie.

• awm03
    12 years ago

The siding & color came out great! Even the blue cast in the sun in looks good, I think. Yes, black would work well with both that brick and siding color -- subdued but classy.

Your diamond in the rough is polishing up nicely! May we see a close up of the flowers in planters in your fabulous front steps? And I love the windows in the dormer.

• boysrus2
    12 years ago

Such a nice improvement! Very pretty house.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I love your house! I've been a bungalow gal in my past, and they are wonderful homes. I like the idea of black, or a deep red. But rather than restricting it to window boxes, consider painting the window sashes. Just that little pop of contrast on your 3-over-1 sashes will complete the look on your house.

For your window box, I like the brackets on the inspiration picture, but I wouldn't bother with the raised panels. Just a simple box, or a little board-and-batten look would work best with your bungalow.

I found a photo of a similar bungalow. Not brick, but it gives you an idea of what the contrasting sash would look like. Do you have the Paul Duscherer books? The Bunglaow, Outside the Bungalow and Inside the Bungalow? I found those invaluable when making design choices about my bungalows. Add them to your Christmas wish list on Amazon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Contrasting sash trim on a shed-roof bungalow

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody! It makes me feel much better to know others like the color, too.

Awm, I love the triple windows as well. That dormer has a built-in window seat with bench storage in the little room; there is so much potential there! I'll try to get a picture of the front steps and flowers, but my camera isn't cooperating right now.

boysrus2, thanks for the compliment. It really did make a big difference to curb appeal.

jakeabedy, thanks for the link; I love that bungalow. I so wanted to paint my sashes a deep red, and even tested it on several windows. The problem was that the porch is so dark that the windows disappeared when I tried it. It would have worked on the upper triple windows, but then the front door sidelights and downstairs windows would just dissolve into the black glass. I drove around the historic district and noted several painted sashes, but no one with a deep porch that pulled it off. We debated for a long time, but couldn't find any accent color that didn't just disappear in the darkness.

• awm03
    12 years ago

Painting the sashes: that's a great idea. equest, I wonder if you painted the sashes whether one's eye would be tricked into reading the color on the porch sashes -- like, you see the porch sashes as dark red because you see them that way on the rest of the house. Hmmm... Anyway, even if you couldn't see the porch sash color in the daytime, if you installed some can lights in the porch ceiling, it sure would be pretty at night (I love outdoor cans -- the light's so soft & white).

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I had taken a picture of my sample red sash on the porch. It might be something to keep in mind if we add additional lighting under there, but I know my husband didn't like the look as it was.

Here's a photo of the mums on the porch steps. I don't have planters yet, so they're just in pots. I was playing with them to find a pleasing arrangement.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!