Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkpaisley_gw

Duron Tobacco Road

pinkpaisley
15 years ago

This paint color was recommended to me a while ago. I am just now getting around to painting (big time procrastinator) and I found out the color was discontinued. Does anyone have the formula so I can get it mixed by a different brand - if this is possible? Thanks

BTW: This is my first post and I have so enjoyed lurking. There are so many talented people on this board. I love looking at the gallery and seeing all the beautiful homes. DH calls me a nosey Peeping Tom.

Comments (69)

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Well, I guess no matter which way you slice it, it's Tobacco Road!!

• anew
    15 years ago

I got a sample of the SW tobacco road. I'm thinking I should get the Duron one. It may be the ticket to the exact color I want. Do the two formulas make that much of a difference?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

anew, if you live in the mid atlantic area, MD, VA, DC, there are still Duron stores around and they will still make the TR for you. That's what I did. I really can't comment on the difference of the two. I have never seen the SW version of thier formula IRL. Those that have used the SW TR are very happy with it and love the color!

• anew
    15 years ago

OK. I'm actually in Canada. I'm not even sure Canadians have ever heard of Tobacco Road : ) See the influence you have on us?
    When I talk about Sherwin Williams taking over Duron, and that I want the "original" Duron Tobacco Road... I'm pretty sure the paint store people think I'm nuts. I think they want to ask me...you sure it's tobacco road PAINT you want lady? or do you want it rolled up in something.

• polkadots
    15 years ago

I have Tobacco Road mixed by SW. I was inspired by Kmcg's beautiful room about a year ago. I am happy with my color, but I will say that I don't think it looks the same as the Duron formula. I have never felt like my walls look like what I see in Kmcg's picture. I would say mine is a little lighter golden color with some green undertone.

I will say that we tried the Plantation Beige mixed by SW and it was way off. It didn't look anything like the color so I gave up on that.

Why is such a great color so hard to get?? Crazy, really.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Take the formula I posted and see if they can make it for you based on that! Worth a try!

• hokie8990
    15 years ago

Tobacco Road was recently suggested to me; I googled and found this thread. Can anyone tell me how it compares to SW6128 - Blonde or SW6388 - Golden Fleece? Also, would anyone have a photo of the paint strip that includes Tobacco Road?

Thanks

• hokie8990
    15 years ago

Somehow, I found today what I couldn't find this weekend - a site with the paint strips that includes Tobacco Road. FWIW, the site is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tobacco Road paint strip

• pinkpaisley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hokie8990: I was originally going to use TObacco Road. WHen I went to SW, even with the formula Magnolialady emailed me I got a blanks stare from the person who was to mix my paint. FINALLY, it sunk into his thick skull what I wanted and he pulled out an old Duron paint deck with Tobacco Road on it. I did not see too much differnce between TR and Blonde which I was also contemplating. I actually settled for the Blonde because it seemed to have a bit more yellow and seemed to be a touch brighter (not much). DH, the decorating expert that he is (not) wanted the Blonde since our foyer is a bit on the darker side. He was also worried Skippy would somehow mess up the formula for TR. I am happy with Blonde.

Maybe someone who has more experience or who has seen both IRL may have a different opinion. HTH

• hokie8990
    15 years ago

Thanks "pinkpaisley" - We had blonde in our last house and I really liked it and was all set to use it in our new home. Until I went to SW and found the paint strips with Golden Fleece and Humble Gold and started 2nd guessing myself. I got a sample of Golden Fleece and Compatible Cream and wasn't in love with them, so then I asked around to see if anyone had used the darker colors on that strip and someone recommended Tobacco Road...so of course I had to check that out too. I amaze myself at how I can turn picking a paint color into a full time job. :)

And funnily enough...after all that, I think we are going to end up going with Blonde. Now, to pick a color for my dining room...

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Here's a pic I put together oh the Tobacco Road strip. The lightest is whispering birch, sandy lane, millet, and plantation beige. The top of the brochure is painted with actual tobacco road paint. The website, at least on my monitor, looks much pinker than the real thing. I've used tobacco road, plantation beige, and sandy lane. Hope this helps :-)

• booboo60
    15 years ago

mimi 2006,

Thank you so much for posting that pic!!!! I have been 'researching' TR for about a month now. A friend of mine has it on one wall in her dining room and that is how I fell in love with it. She did not get a duron or SW paint but some other brand. I had a SW guy mix me a quart so I painted some on some butcher paper and took it to my friends' house and to me, mine looks way darker! She thought it looked like the same but I didn't. Your sample, if TR is at the top, looks like my paint. My friends' paint just does not look that dark. I think I like the Plantation Beige better. Is it just one shade lighter than the TR?
    Thanks, Eileen

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Yes plantation beige is one shade up on the strip from Tobacco Road. I was afraid of TR being too dark and chose Plantation Beige. When I saw it going up in my entry and dining room I asked them to do TR in my hearth room and kitchen area. It's really not that dark and I just wanted a little more depth of color. It's funny when I look from one room to another though, the difference is subtle. The TR room gets more light than the PB rooms so sometimes it's hard to discern the difference at all. The lighting can change how dark/light it looks also. I like them both and there's not a whole lot of difference so if you just want to go a little bit lighter you'll probably be pleased with the Plantation Beige. Hope that helps and doesn't confuse you more! lol

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Thanks for reminding me how much I loved the Plantation Beige I saw in a foyer on this site and one day, I would like one of my rooms in my home to be that color.

• vakitchen
    15 years ago

I am using the old Duron formula of Tobacco Road in my kitchen, someone else had asked what color to use on the ceiling, but I did not see a response to the question. Any suggestions on the ceiling color? I am going to paint my butler's pantry the old Duron formula Plantation Beige and also need suggestions for the ceiling in that room.

• booboo60
    15 years ago

Would the Whispering Birch work? It looks like it would compliment both colors nicely :)

• boystown
    15 years ago

Does anyone see a green cast to tobacco road and plantation beige??

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I have TR but my ceilings are white. However, I would suggest the lightest color on that strip. I think it is sandy lane? Not sure. Also, Millet is another favorite, also on that strip. Whatever you choose, I would do the ceilings in both rooms the same color.
    gagesgranny, In the original Duron formula, the one I have, I do not see a green cast. However, I've heard the SW formula does seem to have a green cast.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Sorry! I just scrolled up and saw that it is as twotogo suggested, Whispering Birch! My bad!

• acomom
    15 years ago

I have connecting rooms painted TR and Plantation Beige on my main floor, and I used Sandy Lane as the common ceiling color. I think it works well.

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

california dreamer, i have to thank you for the link to The Nesting Place blog! I love it!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

kmcg,
    Could you please type out again exactly how the Old Duron Tobacco Road formula should read? I plan to take the formula to SW to get it mixed.

Thanks so much!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

OMG Eliza, I am so sorry I didn't see this until now! I have a new puppy that is sucking up all my time! I can't get to my computer because she chews the cords! Not to mention a hundred other things! Anyway, write out the Duron formula above. Your paint store will know what to do.

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

KMCG, I just wanted to say that I absolutely LOVE your family room and foyer! I am so glad to have found their owner! I am fairly new to this site but I have had your rooms saved to my inspiration files for quite some time as I have been looking for the perfect yellow/gold for the common areas in our home. Your rooms are just so beautiful and I really love the Tobacco Road. I actually saw your room on The Nesting Place Blog several months ago. It seems she is just as smitten with your rooms as I am. ;o) I think she may have found your rooms the same way I did, by Googling 'Duron Tobacco Road'. When you do that your room is the 2nd picture to come up!

I do have a question for everyone concerning trim and ceiling colors with TR. As I've stated in other threads, we currently have SW Relaxed Khaki on ALL our walls and SW Antique White on our trim. Our ceilings are white. I can't remember which one but it is a pure white. Although we really liked the Relaxed Khaki in a home we saw it in before we used it, it is just too light in our home with all the natural light we have. It looks very washed out. We will be painting again soon and I am looking for a yellow/gold color to use. In my search, I have really been drawn to Tobacco Road. However, I really don't want to change the trim color if I don't have to because I really love the yummy, creamy Antique White. Do you think that AW would go well with the Tobacco Road? If so, what would you do about the ceilings? I definitely want to paint those. A good portion of the ceilings are about 18-20' if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Scarlet

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Wow! I guess this is my fifteen minutes, huh? I ran across my FR on Nesting Place too! Quite the surprise to see my own room! Anyway, thankyou for the compliment. My trim and ceilings are builder's white. I suppose creamy at this point, as I think it is the original color plus fifteen years, Lol! I think a creamy white, a white white, any white would go with TR. Don't stress! It will be beautiful. As for the ceiling, go to the lightest color on the strip. Or go white!

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

kmcg,
    I did try to write out the formula, but when you made the changes from the first formula, I got really confused and am afraid I will mess it up!! Will you please type it out for me exactly as is? Pa-leeeeeeeeeeeease? :) Thank you! So MUCH!

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Here is the SW formula I just got for Duron Tobacco Road-- does anyone else have THIS particular formula? Just want to make sure the formula I got isn't way off!

BAC Colorant 02 32 64 128
    N1-Raw Umber - 19 - 1
    Y3-Deep Gold - 24 - -

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Eliza, Sorry if it is confusing, but no matter how I type it in the message box, it will still post the same as what I wrote above. It won't post the same as I write it in the message box. Hope you understand that.I didn't change the formula, I tried to explain it in the followup post. Also, SW does not use brown oxide in their formula and Duron does. That's the difference betwen the two. Magnolialady also posted the SW formula she had on her paint can and it differs from yours. I know nothing about mixing paint, so I can't say whether it would turn out the same.

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Thanks, kmcg-- appreciate your effort :)

• Janice
    15 years ago

eliza--that's the 'recipe' I got from SW, as well! I was told that they also have the formula that Glidden uses with
    the same name!

I don't know how they differ. I did find the one from Lowes' looks slightly darker than the one I got from SW,
    and it has a bit of red/maroon in it, I was told.

• Janice
    15 years ago

Well, the plot thickens. Tonight I went to Lowe's to see if they would mix up some of the Tobacco Road in
    a 75% strength.

The lady working there, told me she would not advise that I make my decision based on the small sample
    cans they sell because they really don't look alot like that in the gallon sizes. She said that their system
    really did not do other brand forumlas very well, and that they have complained about it to 'corporate' but
    as of yet, there has been nothing done about it.

She also showed me the number of formulas they have just for 'Tobacco Road'! They have ones for Dutch Boy,
    California Paints, ICI Dulux, Sherwin Williams, Duron Millenium, and several others. The chips that came up on
    their monitor went from strong coffee without cream to a coffee with cream and one with green cream to a coffee
    with peach cream. I was speechless---almost!!

I definitely noticed a difference between my Lowe's sample can and the one I got from Sherwin Williams, with theirs
    being more golden.

So, I guess you have a wide range of choices if you just love 'the name'! LOL

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Oh my.... the drama! That kind of irritates me, doesn't it you??? Aaaagh! All of these Tobacco-Road-lovin'-ladies out running around like mad trying to get a hold of TR and turns out we all have DIFFERENT colors!! Oh, well... I'm sticking with my TR, even if it IS one of a myriad of TRs ;)

• Janice
    15 years ago

It sure was disconcerting to say the least, eliza! Sigh!

Will the real 'Tobacco Road' please stand up? Oh right, it can't cause its' maker is

Out of business!!

• User
    15 years ago

Wait..Duron is out of business or just the color TR?

I've been following this thread and debating what to do. When I called my SW awhile back and ask them about mixing an old discontinued Duron color they said basically they couldn't do it. Should be interesting when I show up requesting they mix up TR. I'll have to print this out. haha

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

Finally took some photos of my Tobacco Road walls so I thought I'd share. How I got the color: I walked into SW and asked for "an old Duron color called Tobacco Road ... do you have it?" This is what he mixed up. I don't have the can anymore so I can't share the formula, unfortunately, but the guy did specifically write Duron 8214 Tobacco Road on the can.

Sorry about the mostly bare walls. I haven't gotten to hanging much decor yet. All the better to see the wall color, right? :)

• Janice
    15 years ago

Maybe it's just that they have discontinued the color!! I forget which I heard, now!! Hmmmmm!
    The brain is definitely on misfire right now! Sorry if I've scared anyone!!!

Duron--probably NOT out of business!!!

• Janice
    15 years ago

Oh, I meant to mention--love it on your walls, pumpkin! On my walls it looked more like your
    last pic. with lots of sunflower gold, as at the level of the top of your door on that wall,
    where the sun is hitting it!!!

I've given up on trying to make it or 'Blonde' work and I've just ordered 'Honeysuckle' and 'Sand' from Ellen!!!
    I've got several of her colors in my home, and I've loved them all so I figure I can't lose and I'm just tired
    and I want to be done with this process. Life's too short and getting shorter every day! :o/ I've got way too
    much to do so I need to move on!

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Just to ditto what hey_j said above... my sample can from Lowe's was a shade darker than the SW or HD sample I got. The Lowe's TR was an equivalent to the shade darker than TR on the Duron strip, which is "Tatersall Brown". It makes me a little nervous, so I'm going with HD's Duron Millenium formula--I think that might be the closest to the "original", whatver in the world THAT may be! Ha!

• debb360
    15 years ago

Just caught this thread, and thought I'd share something that I found on the net. That is, that Benjamin Moore's formulation of Tobacco Road comes the closest to the original Duron TR. Not sure how true it is, as I haven't tried it yet. I have tried a quart sample of SW's TR (they had an actual Duron TR paint chip strip to test it against, and although it wasn't a perfect match, it was very close), and like it very much. Still, I'm going to bite the bullet and order a gallon of BM's formulation of Duron's TR to see how it compares. I wish they would offer sample quarts in custom mixes like TR.

Planning on painting the majority of the house with one version or other of Tobacco Road this summer.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

You CAN get a quart of TR from BM!I wouldn't invest in a whole gallon until you are sure it is the color you want! It's pretty pricey. Just ask for a quart!I do it all the time!

• debb360
    15 years ago

Oh, kmcg85, maybe I've confused ordering custom colors in quarts from BM with ordering lighter versions (i.e., 50% or 25% strength) of a color in quarts. Sorry, my mistake.

• debb360
    15 years ago

kmcg85, I forgot to thank you. I'm sitting here feeling very relieved that I don't have to buy an entire gallon of TR paint just to try BM's color.

Just curious, have you ever gotten a quart of TR from BM? If so, did they have the formula or did you have to supply the formula?

I've ordered a large paint chip of "the closest match" to Duron's original formula, as well as the formula to use with BM's paints, but not sure if it will be for a gallon or a quart.

• elle3
    15 years ago

I painted my kitchen in TR. I used SW's formula for Duron...whatever it is! I did inquire at BM when I was there shopping for paint for another room and they told me that they had the duron formula. I never got a quart there, though. I went back to SW because that's where I got the sample quart and I figured I'd better stick with it.

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

OK, people, here's the scoop. Tobacco Road (the original) is part of the Millenium color collection. Millenium is a set of color chips used by Duron (before they were bought by S-W), California Paints, Graham, Finneran and Haley, and probably a lot more small regional paint manufacturers that I've never even heard of. Small paint companies without the resources to develop their own line of colors would license the Millenium colors and use them as their own.

I know for a fact that Graham still uses the Millenium color collection and Tobacco Road chips are still available at any paint dealer that carries Graham. As a matter of fact, when I was at my local hardware store, I picked up 4 real honest to goodness GEN-YU-WINE Tobacco Road paint chips, which I will now auction off to the highest bidder.

Ha ha. Just kidding. I WILL send them to the first four people who email me though. (Though if you could send me a SASE, I'd appreciate it, since stamps are soon going to cost more than my first born child!)

And when my hardware store restocks their color chips, I'll see if I can get some more -- I'll keep a Tobacco Road waiting list, LOL!

Seriously - want to settle the discussion of which TR looks most like the elusive original once and for all? Email me through my gardenweb page! Or go find a Graham dealer near you!

• krissd
    15 years ago

FYI - If you are on the West coast, Miller Paints has the Milennium paint deck, and Tobacco Road is #8214. Just got my gallons today. Very excited. Nice color.

• busybme
    15 years ago

I just today had SW mix up a quart of Tobacco Road using the old Duron formula (or so they said). It was in the computer for them to look up, although they didn't have a Duron fandeck.

Whatever the formula was, I really like it! I painted a test board with two other colors and would be happy to share a picture if anyone is interested.

Sandy

• mycorrado
    14 years ago

Could someone post the oringinal Duron formula along with the container size? (quart, gallons etc) it came from?

I get blank stares from SW, the numbers go along with a volume in order to mix..

Thanks!

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Eggshell (Quart Size)

8214 Tobacco Road
    Custom Sher-Color Match

CHR COLORANT OZ 48 96 192
    L-Raw Umber - 22 1 -
    C-Yellow Ox - 27 1 -

Quart
    DU0029103

Midtone

I copied this of thenestingplace blogspot. Amanda said this was right off her Duron paint can. And if you want a tester can, this is what New Every Morning posted:

I had them match it and this is what the Sherwin Williams tag says on the 31oz tester can:

BAC COLORANT 0Z 32 64 128
    N1-Raw Umber - 19 - 1
    Y3-Deep Gold - 24 - -

And now, here is what Red says:

Every time you see a color in a magazine or online, and think: "OMG! That's it! That is the color that I am looking for in my kitchen! (or LR or DR or powder room)" You MUST remember that you are looking at a REPRESENTATION of a color. I experienced this first-hand when I oohhed and aaahhhed over the beautiful dining room wall with the gorgeous chandelier hanging in front of it in my Dec Cottage Living magazine. Then, I saw it again online on the Urban Grace blogspot. I KNEW it would not be exactly what I saw. I KNEW that it might look very different in MY lighting, in MY room, with MY furniture. And yet.........yes....I was drawn in. I had it mixed up at Ace Hardware. (Ironically, about a month later, earlier this year, my local Orchard Supply Hardware began carrying Pratt & Lambert paint, and a nice color chip of the color, Sierra Night, was available to me only 5 minutes away. I could have put myself out of my misery and SEEN, In Real Live Living Color, that the beautiful, murky, grey-green shade I was crying over, was really a deep intense foresty green.) Anyway. What I need you to remember.....The WRONG Tobacco Road.............you know, the one that is a replica of the original..........the one that is a knockoff by Behr or Lowes or Kwal...........might just have the golden tone YOU need in YOUR home. The original, might be a bit off for your needs. So try to not get too consumed with finding the formula. Try to find........

........The look.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Grace Dining Area with Sierra Night Paint

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

I don't understand why your SW gave you blank stares....my SW store knew exactly what it was and mixed it for me in their wonderful, one coat "Duration", which I used to repaint my foyer, living and dining area. We love it!! My camera won't focus low enough for me to photo the formula, but this is how the label reads:

Sherwin Williams
    COMP(MN) 8214 TOBACCO ROAD
    Custom Sher-Color Match

BAC COLORANT 32 OZ.

B1 - Black 17
    R2 - Maroon 3
    Y3 - Deep Gold 47

We bought two gallons but had such fantastic coverage with the Duration that we only used one gallon. I'll probably repaint the upstairs TV room with the remaining, once I have the time.

• aurora_sb16
    12 years ago

Pumpkin Spice, your Tobacco Road looks exactly how I wanted mine to look... I just painted my entire house Tobacco road (via formula of a blog by decor chic) and it turned out WAY too yellow gold... (I have the low sheen from sherwin williams) i am currently trying to lighten the color by painting the living room BM's pittsfield buff, or Millenium Plantation Beige, or going 50% on the tobacco road, because I can't live with the version of tobacco road in my house! Is yours cut by 50% cause it seems lighter. Can I get some input and thoughts on what you all think? I did get a sample from Lowes for the Millenium Tobacco Road and it seems a little more tan which I like more than the way gold... but still dark. Here are some pics to show you: They don't show really how golden yellow it can look, especially in the afternoons!

It looks pretty good in the kitchen, but aweful in the living room! Any advice from you who have it in your home but it looks different please tell me what to do! Everyone says it goes with everything, but mine definitely does NOT!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH