Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkrzyz22_gw

Help cover eye sore

mkrzyz22
11 years ago

My office is quite small. 6'9"x18'. I have an access door on one end for attic access and it sticks out like a sore thumb. How can I soften it and blend it in to the decor? White frames around it? Shelves? Bookcase to the one side of it? I'm at a loss.....

Comments (37)

• User
    11 years ago

I wouldn't necessarily call the door an eyesore. I'd just treat it like any other door and decorate around it with some artwork.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

You could paint it out the wall color.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

How big is the door? it is hard to tell from the picture.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would go further than paint it out....I'd get rid of the molding around the door and replace the door with a flat panel and replace the knob with a push latch. You could fix the base molding by replacing the areas that were cut in. Then the door will essentially disappear.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, here's the problem. My hubby renovated the room just in the past few months so I have to live with the door, the trim and the white paint.

Gmp3- the door is probably 3'x18"?

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

I think either a modern style framed leaning floor mirror, or a similar sized large framed bulletin board or fabric covered ribbon criss cross memo board would work great.

Just easily move out of the way when access is needed.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I like Julie's idea. Something decorative and temporary would be great.

The door sounds like the one Cousin It from the Adams family used!

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

How about using a folding decorative screen at that end of the room? I bought one once very inexpensively at Ross or Marshall's, and I'm sure other places have them. Funny that I bought mine to hide a small door also located in an office study, and the door was to access storage under our stairs. The folding screen I found was metal scroll design--so was not solid, but I happened to find some linen-like fabric that was the exact color of our walls and put that fabric on the back side of the screen. The scroll work looked open so it actually created the illusion that you could see through it and there was nothing behind it, but it hid the door perfectly.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

A large fabric wall hanging or decorative carpet.

When I see that door, I keep expecting a hobbit or a munchkin to emerge!

[Eclectic Home Office design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2104) by Atlanta Interior Designer Janie K. Hirsch, ASID

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

A small rolling cart or file cabinet would disquise the door and give you extra storage at the same time.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Before:

After: I would have customized the height up to the ceiling but the client was happy enough with the standard height.

• matildajane
    11 years ago

How about placing a white bookcase with minimum height casters in front of the door? (You could apply trim at the bottom of the bookcase if the casters raise the unit higher than you want.) What home office can't use a bookcase? Your door knob will probably have to be replaced with something like this, as you'll want minimal protrusion. Now we're talkin' practical camouflage!

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I have the same problem - but, mine is in the upstairs bedroom. Palim was lucky as her's is at a corner so the folding screen works perfect. Yes Pali, I would have had it a bit taller too.
    Mine is in the fricken middle of the wall- I was thinking about putting up a large heavy picture and then a chest underneath mine - but, the room really isn't large enough.
    I've looked at screens and the standard heights aren't tall enough.
    I still don't know what I'm going to do with mine - but, I'm tossing around putting a large mural on it - maybe one that looks like it's a view to the outdoors or just having a custom screen made. The poor room has too many doors for it's size.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like the folding screen idea - I think it only sticks out because there is nothing else on the wall.

I'd consider filling the wall with a gallery assortment of pictures, a mirror, and a bulletin board, and then you might find that the problem is solved. If you have to keep rolling things away from the door, it could quickly become annoying.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I would put a small bookcase on rollers. That would hide the door (may have to change the knob for a smaller one) and treat the wall as any other....picture over the bookcase, pretty books and knick-knacks in the bookcase. Can be rolled out of the way when you need to get to the attic.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I like the gallery wall idea and if you put a large print/poster in the center of the door and surround it with other prints with wide white frames I think the door will disappear.

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

I love that little door and think it's charming. I would make a
    little sign that says 'Hobbit House' ... really.

You could make a decorative mantle top for the door and
    decorate the top, and to the left put two small paintings...

another idea is make a bookshelf on both sides ( the right side looks
    to be about 12") make both sides the same size...go up across
    the top with one more bookshelf tying it together.

Like I said, it's unique and charming, look to enhance that sweet little
    door rather than hiding it.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I've turned the picture so that it's easier to see.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the really neat ides! I'll post a pic when I get it done!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

You could put some sort of wall mural on that end wall. With this one I would hand paint a few wisps of the plants across the door and call it a day.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I'd do an Alice In Wonderland theme around it.
    Like a great tall table with a bottle labeled "Drink Me" and a pair of white gloves.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

How about Alice at the beach lol? This is not easy on the computer but you could paint the door into the mural.

• matildajane
    11 years ago

With all due respect, it's just plain silly to do anything to enhance or lightly camouflage the access door to the attic. Since the door is rarely used, it should be totally blocked from view. A cabinet, bookcase or small armoire on casters or sliders would achieve that while providing storage space.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

It doesn't look like there is enough room for a cabinet, bookcase or small armoire. Unless...can the desk be moved further back?

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Between the wall and edge of the desk there is 3'3". The door actually measures 4'3"x 2"6'
    The theme of the office is Hollywood glamour. The walls are Tiffaney Blue, shiny white furniture, maybe a zebra print throw rug and a crystal chandelier.
    I found this cart that also comes in what looks to be a Tiffany blue color. Perhaps this in front of it with a plant?

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the other one

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Hollywood glam to me says folding screen covered in a sumptuous fabric or large mirror leaning against the wall.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like the idea of a leaning mirror there. My only concern is that I have 2 small children and the thought of them running in and knocking it over frightens me. So...perhaps I should go with a leaning bulletin board with a frame around it?

• geokid
    11 years ago

What about turning the desk so the door is behind it and then doing the gallery wall as others have suggested? Something like this:

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

I would just change the door knob, it is the "focus" of that door if you ask me. How often do you have to use the door?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh Hollywood glamour! I like geokids picture above.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Yes at the very least, change the door knob to something flat...then whatever you put there will sit easier.

You could make a nice sized quilted bulletin board where you take the board, wrap in batting then cover in fabric and staple to the back of the frame. Then add ribbons to hold items. It would certainly make for a softer landing if a kid flies into it....

Here is a link that might be useful: How to padded Bboard

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If you have any wall paint left the quick fix is to paint straight across the door and woodwork with that color, leaving the white trim at the bottom so it looks like baseboard. Then decorate that wall with some art and stuff., perhaps putting one of more items on the door, as if it were just part of the wall.

A more elaborate fix would be wainscoting

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Re-painting it really isn't an option so I think either working it into the decor or a bulletin board in front are my options. I do love the picture that geokid posted, I'll have to play with turning the desk. May be too big.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Is the desk one piece or two? Can it be reconfigured? If not, then I would keep it the same orientation but move it so that it is against the right wall in the photo. The short arm of the desk will be between the small door and anyone entering the room. When you are at the desk, your body will cover it up. And that gallery wall fits in perfectly with your theme.

• fav.auntx2
    11 years ago

check at your hardware store. There is leaning mirror hardware available to anchor the mirror to the wall while still allowing it to lean. Then the kiddos will have to try really hard to knock it over!

• camlan
    11 years ago

I think the door stands out so much because there isn't much else in the room yet. Your eye is immediately drawn to the white door. Is the regular door into the room painted the same white? Does it stand out as much as this door?

My suggestion would be to finish furnishing the room before you decide on what to do with the door. Put in an area rug and window treatments. "Furnish" your desk with a desk lamp, your computer, a glam blotter and in/out trays or the like. Add a reading chair or small loveseat and a floor lamp and some bookshelves. Put some artwork up on the other walls.

Then see how much the door bothers you. You might not notice it nearly as much as you do now.

You also need to take into consideration how often you use the door. If you use it weekly, say, you will want the simplest and easiest to move solution. If you only use the space for holiday decorations, you can go with the more awkward, heavy, hard to move solutions. If you use the space a lot, you will get tired of moving things back and forth in front of the door very quickly.