Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrbound

Interior Designer on New build

Kathy Harrington
10 years ago

I have gone back and forth between hiring a designer on this new build, and finally hired one hourly to 3D model the exterior of our house. I have decided I will need a designer to help with trim, flooring, paint colors and cabinet selection. When I asked her cost for the whole job, her reply is posted below:
"A bid for the whole project would be around 12-15k. I typically establish a "not to exceed" agreement. That way if we spend way too much time on one thing and not another it balances. But if everything gets revised twelve times over��"it helps to keep us all in check. Going this route keeps me involved in all aspects of the project. I will help manage the design selections and the construction schedule. I will coordinate meetings and visits to local vendors as well as draw any necessary design details ��"kitchen, tile, doors, railings etc. The intention is that all decisions are finalized in advance of their "drop dead date" giving Greg time to review and incorporate details. And keeping the construction progress on schedule."

It seems high to me, and I'm wondering if I need all those services. The other option is to hire her at $75 a hour. Just wanted to know if that seems reasonable for those who have used a ID before. Thanks

Comments (5)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It sounds like what you asked for and what she spec'd are two different things.

Yes that is a lot of money just to pick out trim, flooring, paint and cabinetry (if those items you listed are the only ones you asked for help with).

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't given her a list of what I want exactly, that is her total package deal for a new build. I know I will need help making some of the decisions that are expected in the new build. Especially when it comes to keeping it all in the same style. I have very eclectic taste and I can be all over the board, so I need someone to run ideas past and say this fits with your overall theme and this does not. Since this is a small custom builder, there is no designer on staff to help make selections, so I'm hiring someone to help. Is this a reasonable fee for a new build?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

If it were me, I'd prefer to pay as I go. Help and sufficient time allocated as needed. Fair for both as far as the hours go. Do you think you will need 160-200 hours of her time, with the package? Or are you fairly independent and somewhat sure of your taste and decisions, able to research options on your own.

The other thing is, what happens if you do the package then you find she doesn't really understand your style or you don't care for what she has to offer?

What draws you to this designer? Have you seen her work and liked it? Have you checked out others?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 21:57

• chispa
    10 years ago

The $75/hour seems reasonable ... in my area of CA the going rate is around $150/hour.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I ended up deciding to use her as needed on the hourly rate. I agree the hourly rate is pretty decent and between myself, husband, builder and architect, hopefully we will only need her occasionally or as we finalizing details. Only time will tell

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living