Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacocobird

Microfiber sheets

cacocobird
9 years ago

didn't know where else to post this.

Does anyone use these? Are they as comfortable as pure cotton?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No. Microfiber doesn't breathe. Cotton does.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

They sound sweaty.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I've seen them for sale in Costco- they are very soft. I have a pair of microfiber pajamas that I bought to wear in winter - I hate them - they don't breathe as mentioned above.

• Maude80
    9 years ago

I ordered a set of microfiber sheets from amazon that had received excellent ratings but I hated them. To begin with, the minute I took them out of the package, they had a sort of plasticy static feel that is hard to descrive. Second, they did not breathe at all like cotton sheets would. The last straw was after about three washings, the sheets started to develop pilling..

Stick with 100 percent cotton.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I bought a set and hate them. Used them once, that was enough. I sleep hot and they made it worse. I have them packed up to donate since they are new.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, if it's soft and WARM you're looking for, get 100% cotton flannel sheets. LL Bean's and Garnet Hill's flannel is very nice. Others may know of some other places that sell good flannel as well.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

When my bedroom remodel was finished I rushed out to buy all the pretty print sheet sets I could find at places like Pennys and Elder Beerman at reasonable prices. They were micro fiber and eventually I came to dislike them esp. after buying more expensive percale and cotton sets from catalogs. I will never go back to microfiber if I can help it.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I was going to ask the same question. Trying to find good cotton flannel is in the short supply arena. But the darn micro fiber is all over and in everything bedding. I'm also getting tired of seeing berber on so much. These beddings have a wide range of quality and of course price. And fleece....clothes, bedding, practically anything is made of this for anything. I hope it is a fad, but also know they can produce it cheaply and no clue what is in it.

I was floored taking the stuffing out of my dog's bed for washing. It was like it came from my dryer vent. Time to take up sewing again, that stuff is creepy.

Thankful for Tue. Morning, which still sells quality, although the other is starting to sneak in. I just bought a wonderful solid color quilt from there, practically 100% cotton, and the sewing is far beyond the plastic thread, computer sewn ones.

I also just picked up two huge painter's cloths to make a sofa cover. From Harbor Freight, which can be iffy. 80X140, actually beautiful, heavy solid cotton fabric, two for $30. And a good 75% less in cost than HDs which are half the weight.

Eludes me that I can find nice for my needs that is used for floors/paint. I know they have been used for many decor items, but right now my thinking is to pick more up in case they start something similar to the burlap craze. Someone is making a bundle on burlap now. I'll be the tarp hoarder.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A great place to get bedding is on eBay, the vintage stuff. Although you have to be careful with sheets because mattresses back then were not nearly as deep.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I buy my cotton flannel bedsheets at Costco. They are so inexpensive that I don't expect them to last. They are good for at least a season before they start to develop pills, then I toss them. I, too, hate microfiber ... hot and irritating next to the skin.

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

I actually don't even mind the Costco flannel sheets even AFTER they've pilled; I like them way better than the microfiber ones I purchased there. Sticky/sweaty things.

• mpwdmom
    9 years ago

Really, I just say no to anything microfiber. Can't stand the stuff.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I wish we still had a Tuesday Morning store. I loved browsing there. Yes, they had the greatest looking bed linens, comforters, duvets and duvet covers for about half of the original cost.

• cacocobird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your comments. I ordered a set of 100% cotton sheets today.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

100% cotton and woolâ¦only way to go when it comes to bedding, IMO.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

To get a little more life out of flannel sheets that have pilled ... shave them! No need to do the entire sheet, just the area where you normally sleep. The razor blade works pretty good at making the sheets smooth again.