Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

Magnaverde

threedgrad
16 years ago

How are you? Always have enjoyed reading your advice and expertise. So, I just thought I would ask how you are doing? Anything new? Any cool designs in the works?

Comments (43)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonder about him myself, always enjoy the stories and anecdotes. "The Jeep" is one of my favorites ;)

• magnaverde
    16 years ago

Moonshadow, this is the time of year I always think about my Jeep, and how cool it was--and, actually, 'cold' is a better word--chugging around the streets of Peoria in a vehicle--and I use that the word in its broadest sense--with no doors, no top, no heater, no keys, no speedometer, no odometer, no gas gauge & no windshield wipers. I was lucky to have a windshshield. At any rate, it was NOT a car. One of my pals called it 'a slum on wheels."

It got ten miles to the gallon, and with no gas gauge I never knew I was low on gas until I heard the metallic sucking sound that meant the tank was already empty and that there was about 50 feet of forward momentum left before it stopped dead in its tracks in the middle of traffic. I never even had time to pull over. It was all very embarrassing. Thanks for reminding me.

And threedgrad, there's no news, but no news is good news. For a while last spring, I thought there might be some news but it was a false alarm.

A pal persuaded me to enter my place in Apartment Therapy's contest for the "Smallest, Coolest Apartment" designed for places under 6OO square feet. I figured that since the AT website is geared to an audience that's hip & young & into things like bright colors & uncluttered spaces & IKEA & Target & tons of Mid-Century stuff, I & my dark & very traditional apartment full of antique furniture & rugs & art would have no chance at winning a prize, and so it would be silly for me to even enter. But said pal kept at me, so to shut him up I sent in a few shots, the same-old-same-old ones you've all seen a zillion times because they're the only ones I have.

Well, there were tons of small, cool apartments in the runing and mine was the only one that looked a little lost, but somehow, even though I was right about not winning, I did manage to get an Honorable Mention (which, when I went down to the party at a hip, cool furniture store here in town to hear the announcement of the real winners, my HM turned out to be the only award given to anybody in Chicago. All the other awards went to people living on the coasts or in Europe. Since nobody else got anything--and some of their entries were great--I was kind of embarrassed when they called out my name, and especially considering that I was by far the oldest person there, although at least I was embarrassed in a better way than when my Jeep ran out of gas in downtown Peoria. Anyway, my enetering didn't get a real prize but it did lead to amessage from an editor at O @ Home magazine, who said they were interested in seeing more pics of my place for the magazine, and that was cool.

So I sent the guy a few more photos that hadn't been in the contest, and sort of explained my approach to decorating, and after seeing the other shots and reading what I wrote, Jonathan said they were now REALLY interested and said that the photo editor was very excited, and wanted to know if I had any pictures of the other areas of my apartment, like the kitchen. And of course, I didn't because I had never bothered taking pictures of my kitchen, so I had a pal come over and take some pictures for me, mainly because he has a flash, which is critcial in my windowless kitchen & my windowless hall & my windowless book room. So I sent those in, and they loved those too, and they loved the explanation I sent along with some of them. He said "We've never featured an apartment like this, but we love it! Love your essays, too! Do you have any exterior shots of your building, and of you?"

So I wrote back and said that no, I didn't but that I'd get some if they were interested, and he assured me they were VERY interested. That was cool. I figured these wouldn't be the pictures that would go in the magazine anyway, these would just be like scouting shots, so it didn't really matter if someone else didn't take as good a picture of me as I would have taken of them. After all, it was my apartment that they were really interested in, not me.

So I took a few shots of the front of my 192Os building with the lobby's leaded-glass casement windows open & the window boxes full of geraniums & petunias, and the sun raking across the face of the mellow old bricks, and I had another friend take a picture of me against a background of the 192Os skyscrapers along the Chicago River. Then I mailed off the building photos & the ones of me and waited to hear from Oprah. well, OK, from Jonathan, Oprah's editor.
    By now I was starting to get excited.

Well, it took a few weeks to hear back this time, and when I got my answer it was short & businesslike, more like a form letter than any of the previous notes I had received:

Dear Mr. Magnaverde. Thank you for your interest in Oprah at Home. We are reviewing your submission. There may be some time before any decisions are made. If there is any further interest, I or someone else at the magazine will be in contact with you.

In other words, Don't call us, we'll call you. But of course, since then, I haven't heard anything. The only thing I can think of to cause the sudden change in tone from friendly & encouraging to distant & impersonal is that because Apartment Therapy is young & cool, and I won an award from them, that they must have assumed that I must, therefore, also be young & cool. Sort of, you know, like Nate.

Then they saw my picture: Ohhhhhhhhhh, he's.........old: gray hair, glasses, a seersucker jacket--from Brooks Brothers, no less--with a tie, for pete's sake. No tight, sexy t-shirt, no cool jeans, no raffish 2-day beard stubble, no carefully tousled hair, no sexy grin, no crinkly bedroom eyes, no gym-toned body, no tan, no tatttos, no nothin'. NEXT CANDIDATE PLEASE!!!!

Since then, of course, I've found out that this dude has played hot-&-cold with lots of people, and I decided I didn't really want to be in Oprah's magazine anyway, I wanted to be in House & Garden, and that if I had already been seen in O @ Home then I would probably lose any hope of a chance at H&G anyway, so it's all just as well that I didn't mess up my chances to be in a much better magazine anyway.

Of course, as it turns out, H&G is now out of the running anyway, Oprah or no Oprah, because last MOnday, Conde Nast announced that, after 106 years, they were shutting House & Garden down, and that the editorial offices would be cleared out by Friday--today.

Anyway, I was disappointed that my place didn't make it it into print, but even though I lost this particular chance at fame & glory, at least I didn't lose my job today, like a whole bunch of talented people did. Kind of puts things into perspective, you know?

At any rate, threedgrad, that's the news. Thanks for asking.

Regards,
    MAGNAVERDE.

Here is a link that might be useful: ApartmentTherapy.com

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

That's a lot of news and an interesting tale; it's their loss, I think they may still call you sometime down the road.

Glad you're doing well; I am sorry House and Garden is being pulled, it's one of the mags that I am constant in buying. CondNast did pull Victoria years ago and just relaunched it. Although I did discover Shelter magazine, a small publication but very tasteful, the website is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelter magazine site

• budge1
    16 years ago

Magna, thanks so much for sharing that story. I wish I had my own magazine - I'd hire you in a flash. Not just once for the pictures of your wonderful space, but as a regular columnist.

Thanks for the Saturday morning entertainment. Much better than anything I'll read in this mornings paper.

Any chance you'll share *all* the pictures?

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Great story! Honorable Mention is good! ;)

Just wanted to let you know what your post has prompted. I started thinking about your 1920's building, wondering what the outside looks like. Although I'm not a city girl in the least, when I do go downtown I find more often than not I'm fascinated not by a modern skyscraper but by very old architecture. So my mind wandered to some of the places in the city that captivate me. I remember the warm spring day shopping on Michigan Ave with my mom, sister and nieces (preschool at the time). We were passing the Fourth Presbyterian Church, stepped off the sidewalk, through the archway and into the courtyard , not another soul around, and it was like stepping into another place and time, or someone's secret garden. We sat in the solitude and absorbed the sun and the giggles of little girls chasing birds and playing in a pool of water, oblivious to the throngs outside. A great memory ;) It's an even more beautiful building at Christmas and since I'll be in that area in a couple weeks, will make it a point to stop and see if I can visit inside. Then I thought about all the times I've driven around Midway Plaisance going to or driving by U of C Hospital. I just found and took a virtual walking tour and learned so much more about those fascinating buildings and history of that area. (I never knew about White City.) I take Lake Shore Drive when I go in and get all gaga when driving in the area of the U of C Campus, Museum of Science and Industry, and then the lake. Often have trouble keeping my eyes on the road ;) I'd love to see the inside of one of those old buildings that is a private residence. Now I'm completely engrossed in looking at old postcards of the city. It's been a very interesting morning so far! ;-)

• kim2007
    16 years ago

Magnaverde and Moonshadow, you're making me miss Chicago! The last time I spent any real time there was 2001 when I was doing data collection at the Field Museum. We moved to OH soon thereafter and since then I've only been there for a short time waiting for an Amtrak train. Now that brings up something; do either of you recall the old 'Chicago and Northwestern' train station? It had those magnificent barrel vaulted ceilings? For a year I commuted in to the city every day to attend the American Academy of Art on State Street and spent lots of time in that station. I was heartbroken when they destroyed it to build the Metra one in use now.

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

"I sent in a few shots, the same-old-same-old ones you've all seen a zillion times"

yes we have.

let's see your new ones Mag.

• tinam61
    16 years ago

Their loss Magnavede! Wonderful apartment and you certainly do have a way with words. I hope they reconsider!

tina

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I read the comments people offered. Most of them so missed the point that it was laughable. Too bad people get so wrapped up in one style or perspective that they cannot appreciate anything else. I hadn't seen M's photos before and I loved them. And turning small spaces into fascinating and beautiful settings is a creative use of space, in response to the poster who questioned why M's place belonged in the contest.

• betsyf
    16 years ago

Love, love, love your style Magnaverde. I could live in your apartment in a heartbeat. To me, the absolute greatest compliment is when someone says, "I feel so at home and comfy here. I don't want to leave". I have only "visited" your apartment thru your photos, but if I were there (for real), I would never want to leave. Just give me a cup of tea, some decorating mags and a cat to sit on my lap. I'd be in heaven. Thanks for sharing your style with us. More stories, please. You are a storyteller in a decorator's body.
    If you are ever out in Sandwich, visit the historic Opera House. The restoration is magnificient - specially for a little farming town.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Kim, I'm from where you are now. Want to trade places? (Because I'm plotting and planning to get back to Ohio! ;)

Nope, don't know of the train station you mention, sorry. I do love the Field Museum, though! I'd love to latch onto one of their archeological digs, I'd pay them to let me go along! ;D

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I missed the comments that kitchendetective pointed out so went back to take a gander. Pretty harsh, some. (Unnecessarily so, imho, but Magnaverde handled it with his typical even-keeled grace). At least a good portion "get it".

So then I try to find other entries for this contest. I think these are other entries/winners, etc.. Not to be cruel or critical of other entries, but to be honest I got bored and stopped looking. ;) Just couldn't find anything intriguing to hold my interest for very long, such as a piece that prompts me to wonder where it came from or what it's history is.

I find his last paragraph here very interesting, my favorite part in bold, and will always be able to remember it because of the comparison to sorbet's place in a heavy meal ;D
    Oh, & those empty, stark white walls in my dining area? That's intentional. Even if you have a ton of cool stuff to look at, the eye still needs somewhere to rest. The single most unused trick in the decorator's book is contrast, so a deep-toned & densely decorated room requires a light, clean-lined room next door to keep things in balance. Kind of like the sorbet course in a heavy meal. BTW, if you remember the black-&-white London drawing room in the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute, you know where I stole the idea for this room. Traditional doesn't have to mean boring.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

You were such a ringer it was completely unfair, but just hilarious to read some of the responses, esp. the ones about decluttering.

That quote moonshadow refers to made me laugh out loud--you knew what you were saying when you said "BTW, if you remember the black& white London drawing room in the Thorne Rooms..." (LOLOL again just typing it) OF COURSE those tykes don't "remember the black&white London drawing room", you catty thing ;)

Wonderful to read the folks who did get it, though. Reminds me of Joshua Bell playing in the DC subway.

Here is a link that might be useful: pearls before breakfast

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I think it is very sad that we have a generation of apartment dwellers, regardless of how well-educated the automatons, learned nothing of rich history.

MagnaV, your decor rocks.

I just picked up the fall/winter edition of Country French Decorating. Hmm, I see some of you in there regardless of the decorator's name.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Most interesting. And of course, you couldn't win. You forgot to fix your hair so it sticks straight up. And you probably forgot to wear an earring or clunky necklace with that suit, didn't you? Yep. That's what I thought.

By any chance, while they were interviewing you, did you mention elephants backfiring, 'cause that may have done you in too.

I did appreciate the clearer photos that got posted on that site. Hope to see some of the newer ones when you get the time. And I Expect that we will see an article eventually. They are reserving you for a future issue, I am sure of it.

(by the way, I put my DH on a plane for Chicago this morning for some kind of machine show at McCormack Place. He Won't be in Brooks Bros. and he Won't have a tie. He'll probably get ice on his mustache, though, this time of year, hmmm?)

Red

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

He'll probably get ice on his mustache, though, this time of year, hmmm?

Normally odds would be good he would :-) We're having exceptionally warm weather. I just came in from feeding the koi and watering the tougher annuals still in pots on the deck. A real treat for the gardeners in us, but not typical, that's for sure. Not complaining tho, that just means fewer months till the spring bulbs arrive and we get to do it all over again! ;D

• Cella
    16 years ago

Hey - almost missed this thread. I haven't been on this site much for months. However, I must say, one of my all time favorite stories is Magnaverde's story on running into the man who's was it grandfather (i don't think father) was the designer of a long since gone room???? Magnaverde - you know which story I'm talking about - tell it again please, please!

Cella

• papercrane
    16 years ago

Not being familiar with Monteverde or the apartment photos, I took a look and my first impression is, how do you get so much personality in such a condensed area? That space is like a poem, where every word/article has meaning and purpose.

Flyleft, interesting that you should mention the Joshua Bell article. I have wondered many times if I would have walked by!

~Lynne

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

M'verde, in todays world, you're a breath *sigh* of fresh air. So much of decorating is about the so-called trends, being cool, functionality(overused word!), and at times, overly-expensive-ugly-name-dropping-furniture. If someone chooses to follow the 'rules of the road', 'do not pass go and collect $200', or 'find the yellow brick road', then so be in, but something is *usually* missing when such a path is chosen.

That something is called LOVE, and it *IS* the tangibles when putting a room, a house, or even a motor home 'together'. Those tangibles must be things that bring us recollection, a feeling, a moment re-lived, or something which simply 'strikes your fancy.' Of course we all go out and buy new things, but it's usually something special that calls out to us, or to use the phrase, 'speaks to us'. They're gifts to ourselves because we have found an attraction~such is how collections are born.

In looking at your very grand home, I don't see it as large or small, but as a person in love. In love with his choices, in love with his home, in love with his surroundings, and in love with what he does in his everyday work life~it's *YOUR* passion, M'verde, and it comes thru to us loud and clear~we should all be so lucky!

As for 'O Home', it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings! You're definitely a candidate for Traditional Home, but they need to come down to earth and realize it's not about designer this or designer that which makes a home *close* to perfection.

Congratulations! There's no doubt in my mind where *my* vote would have gone.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I think this has to be my favorite post of this year - that story pulled at my heartstrings.....wonderful.

• threedgrad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But of course, Magnaverde, God did lead him to you and you to him!! Fantastic story!! What a great memory to carry. Thanks for sharing.

• isitdoneyet
    16 years ago

Wonderful story. I'm always telling my daughter about something or other my "forum friends" are talking about. Now I have to send her a clipping. I too would have voted for your home!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Oh my, and my DH begrudges the trips to Virginia that I take, most of which are no farther than Virginia, in search of my family history. This almost brought me to tears. I can only imagine how this must have felt.

• leahcate
    16 years ago

Beautiful story, beautifully told : unadorned, simple and touching. Thank you so much for sharing it.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Amazing story - it is funny how fate works -

• mareda
    16 years ago

Magnaverde, this story made me cry. What a beautiful thing serendipity is. When the right magazine publishes your beautiful home, be sure to tell them this story.

• pugga
    16 years ago

Yep, very moving for me, too. Thanks for sharing it (wiping tears from eyes).

• DYH
    16 years ago

Oh my, that story gave me chills! So beautiful and touching. I think his inscription is so heartfelt.

Cameron

• magnaverde
    16 years ago

OK, now that everybody's eyes are full of tears and no one can see the terrible quality of these shots (no, I didn't take them and yes, judging by the odd angles, apparently the person who did take them had apparently been overserved) here are the referred-to-above shots of my kitchen, taken two minutes apart, with & without the soul-killing flash.

{{gwi:1881357}}

...and here's the shelf above my sink-on-legs, with a concealed fluorescent uplight tube to give my dish detergent & Bart Simpson a glowing, unworldly look.

This room--the former butler's pantry of a much nicer (and bigger) apartment--opens directly to my tiny dining room. That's the original 1926 black linoleum on my counter and my Harlequin & Fiesta dishes in the cabinets. M.

• vdinli
    16 years ago

beautiful story! brought a lump to my throat but that was all cleared out by the time I looked at Bart and ur glowing dish soap :-)) LOL!
    As so many others have said before, ur house is marvellous! It must feel good to come home to all the history and stories it holds. now I am off to do a search on ur ID to read more of ur posts..they are so enjoyable. thanks!

• southernheart
    16 years ago

Lovely, touching story (and as always, your photographs!).

I (still) think you should write a book, filled with your stories and observations, and photos of your home, designs, and life as it is seen through your eye. I would be the first in line at the signing.

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

Well, I've read plenty of stories on this forum that other people say made them cry, but this is the very first one that brought tears to my own eyes. I'm going to hand it to my husband to read since I don't trust myself to read it to him out loud.

Thank you for the beautiful story, Magnaverde.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow. Not having been around here for long, or at least not on any regular basis, you, your apartment and your writing are new to me.

Magnaverde your apartment is wonderful! There is so much eye candy there. Comparing your apartment to minimalism brings to mind the difference between those department store Christmas trees where all the ornaments are the same... and my own Christmas tree where every ornament is different, interesting and has a history that brings back so many fabulous memories. Some of them were made by my children when they were little, so no they're far from the flashy sparkly stuff in the department stores, but each one makes me smile and warms my heart.

I loved your wonderful story about the Japanese fellow. I'm thinking a magazine would love that for their Christmas edition. It's just wonderful. I certainly hope it's not your last story here. I hope to read many more. You really should write a decorating column for a magazine. You'd be widely read and appreciated, and I hope paid well. Have you looked into that?

Our culture worships youth, unlike the Asian countries who revere the elderly for their wisdom and their contributions. I suspect our rather curious attitude is a product of Madison Avenue, because our youth are better targets for their advertising. This is a shame and a huge loss to society, and even more so as the baby boomers mature.

Now I, too, am off to search for more of your posts. I hope you'll be posting a lot more often, though. Do you make your living as a writer? You certainly could (and I say that as a published author myself).

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Magnaverde, thank you so much for sharing that powerful story. Reading it reminded of a brilliant professor I had in social work school. She survived Hiroshima as a child, and later immigrated to the US where she earned a Ph.D at a very young age and became a scholar in the field, devoting her life to studying and treating traumatized children. She shared limited stories of the extreme survival conditions she endured after the bombing, but would never discuss the actual event itself. "Somethings are just too horrible to speak of, and I will not". She came from an aristocratic family that included many artists, and always ended our classes with an origami lesson. I still have all the little treasures I created that semester. Reading your story made me realize how much of an impact the people we intersect with can have on our lives. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding me of her.

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing that story. I truly believe God brings people together for a reason. We went to the beach a few months ago and were checking in at a very busy time of day. I just a happened to get on the elevator (there were 4 there) where there was another lady and her husband who were friends of my mothers. I worked for this woman many years ago and she recognized me and remembered my name. She was very excited to hear that my mom was in the car and on the trip with me (first time I've taken my mom on a trip, too). It made a very pleasant trip for my mom seeing an old friend she hadn't seen in years. The odds of running into her that day at that particular time were very slim. This hotel had 4 buildings an numerous elevators. What were the odds.

I love hearing stories like that. I hope you don't mind that I've pass it on. God works in mysterious ways!!

Robbi

• stargirl
    16 years ago

I, too, enjoyed the beautiful story. I had a stange thing to happen recently that would never happen again in a million years. I was on the phone with my friend Nancy, whining because I couldn't find oak rockers for my porch -- at least, not like I wanted. She made the statement, "When God gets ready for you to have rocking chairs, you will have rocking chairs." No sooner than she had said that, she said, "Excuse me a minute, someone just walked into my office." When she returned to the phone, I could tell that something was terribly wrong. She said, "You won't believe this. I'm still shaking. A man just walked into my office and asked 'Do you know someone who wants to buy oak rocking chairs. I have some in my truck outside!' We couldn't believe it. What are the chances of this ever happening again? To make a long story short, I have two oak rocking chairs sitting on my porch that were a special delivery from God!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Stargirl..........that's really strange and amazing, isn't it? And you know what? While your story is of a staggering coordination of events, sometimes it just takes someone being willing to Talk to someone else. For example, in MG's evocative meeting on the street, it could have easily gone in a completely different direction. There might have been several native Chicagoens wandering around the sidewalks that day. A couple of them may have well remembered the tearoom. (Although having instant access to the color postcards and book could have only come from Magnaverde!) But how many would have listened to the stranger, drawn him out, asked more questions, and given him the information that would have settled his soul? It's not just having information, ideas, or being in the right place at the right time. It's having that something within yourself that makes you willing to give to others--to take the time--to see a need.

• stargirl
    16 years ago

Indeed, it is, redbazel. My friend Nancy and I are still amazed about what happened. In fact, we joke about it. She will tell me to call and tell her I'm looking for something outrageous like a yacht, and we'll see if one shows up!

How did Bart Simpson make his way into your kitchen, Mag!?!? I think he fits the category of having something in your home that makes you smile.

• mareda
    16 years ago

Thanks for the additional pics, Magnaverde. What a HOME you've created!

I'm starting to think, however, that the reason the magazine didn't include you was because of the craptastic shots the "photographer" (????) took. What was he shooting with, his brownie? (joke for older folks, sorry!)

• stargirl
    16 years ago

I viewed some of the homes of the other entrants and, like another poster commented, I couldn't see why some were so praise-worthy. In fact, I got bored looking at all of them.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

What is that lovely 30s-a-g-looking graphic item to the right in the last picture?

• magnaverde
    16 years ago

Flyleft, that's a one-off reproduction of a painting of Frank Lloyd Wright's Unity Temple that artist Greg Otto of Baltimore did for the Chicago Chapter of the American Institute of Architects a few years ago and which was used to advertise an exhibit of the artist's work at the Merchandise Mart here in Chicago. I happened to be in the right place at the right time when the exhibit was coming down.

It's a totally straightforward rendition of the building in every aspect except color, which is a kaleidoscope of brilliantly clashing colors, and it's the perfect thing to balance & reflect the colorful 193Os dishes & 195Os anodized aluminum patio tumblers on the other side of the room. At any rate, you're right: it is lovely.

Oh, & Mareda, you're right about the terrible qaulity of those kitchen shots and I'm already regretting putting them up here. Like they say: if you want something done right, do it yourself. This is what happens when you don't.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms